ebay gift certificates - how do I buy one in Canada?

Not able to buy an Ebay gift certificate because the seller (Ebay?) will only send to US accounts. Ebay help desk has not been any help.

Anybody know how I can do this?

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Re: ebay gift certificates - how do I buy one in Canada?

I do not mean to be rude but why would anyone want to give someone a "eBay" gift certificate, limiting the recipient of the gift to eBay purchases?

Why not a Liquor Store gift card, a movie gift card, a widely accepted VISA or MasterCard gift card, a specific store or restaurant chain gift card, etc... etc... ?

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

For my daughter, everything you mentioned has been done many times, bought her an Ebay certificate a couple of years ago and she had fun with it.
Always looking for something unique.
Message 3 of 5
latest reply

We asked one of ebay reps about this. This is his answer:

This is indeed a problem that is occurring with gift cards purchases by Canadian buyers. Specifically, the error shows us if the buyer attempts to use a credit card as a funding source on the PayPal payment. If the buyer funds the payment with a debit card or bank account, the payment goes through as normal.

We are working with PayPal to resolve the issue.

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Weekly-Board-Hour-Session/Weekly-Board-Hour-May-Special-Edition/m-p/3016...

But I don't think it is even possible to use a Canadian debit card for an online purchase?

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

But I don't think it is even possible to use a Canadian debit card for an online purchase?

Depends on what you mean by "debit card."  Generally speaking, we Canadians refer to our bank/ATM cards as "debit cards" when making point of sale purchases with them.  However, in the US, the term "debit card" means a card used at point of sale terminals that is linked to a bank account, but this card is usually branded with a credit card issuer.

These types of cards do exist in Canada, but their use doesn't appear to be very widespread.  Here's one example:

http://www.visa.ca/en/personal/visa-debit-card/index.jsp

Message 5 of 5
latest reply