50% UPS Brokerage fee????

kazoobers
Community Member
I bought an item that was $99.95 US. The Seller charged me $16.00 for UPS standard shipping to Canada.

The package arrived and here is a Brokerage C.O.D. due to UPS for $54.17. What a rip! The seller said nothing about additional fees due IN ADDITION to the $16.00 I paid him for the shipping. By looking under Help in eBay, I see there is nothing I can do about it.
The money's the same, whether you earn it or scam it.
Bobby Heenan
Message 1 of 950
latest reply
949 REPLIES 949

I think her name is Rita..

but she sounded Hindu so I could have it wrong.

I'm still waiting for my verification Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Message 121 of 950
latest reply

It would be difficult to locate courier companies next door to residential areas; they have vehicles coming in/out at all hours of day/night and the people living nearby would be complaining nonstop about the traffic and the noise.

Hence, businesses are located in (generally) business areas, so that they can conduct their business as they wish to. Many of them (if they can) will be located closeby to an airport for ease of incoming air shipments - Fedex has aircraft in the air as do most of the others probably. Purolator in London ON is located next to the airport, for instance.

So, yes, their depots to go and pick up from MAY possibly be inconvenient for you!
Photobucket

Message 122 of 950
latest reply

s.brake
Community Member
Canuckchuk:
I wouldn't expect them to have their pick-up location at Yonge and Bloor. But I do expect them to deliver the goods because they are a delivery service. In my opinion, trying once and then trying to get you to come and get it doesn't amount to much in the way of delivery service.
In the good ol' days they used to leave a note starting: We will attempt to deliver again......
Photobucket
Message 123 of 950
latest reply

banebery
Community Member
When I buy an item from the US on ebay, I do a couple of things. Before I bid, I will ask the seller if they will ship as a "gift". All they need to do is say "gift" on the export declaration. If they wont, I look for another seller who will. Look at the ebay listings and you will see some ebay sellers state that they will ship as a "gift". Next, I ask for it to be shipped USPS because of the high brokerage fees charged by UPS and FedEx. I will use FedEx if it cannot come USPS. Lastly, I will broker the item myself if need be. It's quite easy and I have found the Customs staff to be very helpful.
Message 124 of 950
latest reply

brake1955:

You complained that the depot was too far for you to go - I was stating why it might be where it is.

I was NOT debating the point of how many times they attempt a delivery - that is entirely different.
Photobucket

Message 125 of 950
latest reply

5000piecespuzzle
Community Member
So... Nobody will tell banebery what he is doing wrong?

One piece short of a complete box!

Message 126 of 950
latest reply

banebery: DO NOT ASK THEM TO SHIP IT AS A GIFT!

Are they your mother? aunt? gramma?

If so, then its a GIFT

If not IT AINT!
Photobucket

Message 127 of 950
latest reply

canuckaloo
Community Member
Nobody will tell banebery what he is doing wrong?

nah...I'll just wait to hear the jingle jangle of the hand cuffs

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Message 128 of 950
latest reply

5000piecespuzzle
Community Member
Ooooh! Bracelets!

Does that count as Bling Bling, or just Bling?

Message 129 of 950
latest reply

canuckaloo
Community Member
Bling a Jing a Ling

:^O

Message 130 of 950
latest reply

i told him i told him
Photobucket

Message 131 of 950
latest reply

5000piecespuzzle
Community Member
banebery

If you come back here, know that asking for gift on declaration is ILLEGAL, CRIMINAL, AGAINST THE LAW, WRONG!

You and especially the seller can be in a lot of trouble.

If they offer or if they do it, good for you. But if you ASK them you're breaking the law.

All the sellers that refused and that you didn't buy from were right.

Just think about it next time.

Message 132 of 950
latest reply

s.brake
Community Member
canuck: I realiaze the point you were making and a perfectly valid one is.
My bitch is really about the lack of real service. It is especially important to me because I don't drive and working my way down to the middle of nowhere is not easy.It can take forever on the TTC and costs ME money.
Actually, even for people who do drive there is the extra cost of gas - I guess that's what they're trying to save on at the buyers expense. LOL

I live on a street that turns one-way half way through the street. I have seen delivery vans have a little trouble with the logistics and not even bother trying to deliver the package. They park the truck, walk back through the one-way part of the street and leave the "would you like to pick it up yourself notice". The best ones are the drivers who can drive in reverse at somewhat incredible speeds.

All great points about this gift business. It may be o.k. to some but it did create a problem for me once. I asked a US seller if she would ship to Canada and her reply was yes, but iff I did not ask her to lie about the value of the item or ask her to declare it as a gift. An honest woman. This may contribute to why some US sellers do not want bids from Canadians. Can't say that I blame them, as a lot of people do not like being asked to lie. It offends them, and why shouldn't it?
Photobucket
Message 133 of 950
latest reply

I have never been a courier delivery driver so have no insight into the problems you have with yours in particular.

Perhaps you could arrange in future for it to be delivered during the daytime to your place of work?
Photobucket

Message 134 of 950
latest reply

kazoobers
Community Member
brake, you hit the nail on the head when you said "My bitch is really about the lack of real service."

That is my main complaint these days. I just don't see any customer service anywhere anymore. I stood in the line up at the TD Bank today for 20 minutes, I can go to the Bay and hunt for a sales person to help me but come up empty handed, and on and on with many establishments. It's all about the mighty dollar for most companies and screw the consumer for after service. There are some exceptions, but for the most part I rarely see good customer service these days.
The money's the same, whether you earn it or scam it.
Bobby Heenan
Message 135 of 950
latest reply

They park the truck, walk back through the one-way part of the street and leave the "would you like to pick it up yourself notice".

I'm not sure if this refers to couriers, or to Canada Post, but it is more common than one might think.

My dad lives in an apartment building; I used to send him parcels by Xpresspost, in the hope that he would receive them the next day. Even though he stayed at home waiting, the parcel would never arrive -- just a "missed delivery" notice by mail two or three days later.

In his town, delivery was sub-contracted, and the fellow who had the run didn't want to have to wait around apartment building lobbies for the recipient to come down and get the parcels. We didn't believe it at first, until the lady at the postal outlet showed my dad the back room brimming with undelivered pacakges, waiting to be picked up.

Message 136 of 950
latest reply

sir_edward_ross
Community Member
I just don't see any customer service anywhere anymore

Customer service does exist in some businesses, mostly smaller, more expensive places.

I never shop in the mega-grocery stores, (no service, park a mile away from the front door, walk two miles down aisles filled with 100's of identical items but almost zero choice of items).

On the other hand, i pay more to shop at my locally owned IGA and get just service. They don't stock the item you want? Ask them to order it in. Never had them refuse me.

La guerre, toujours la guerre. Pourquoi pas l'amour?

Message 137 of 950
latest reply

get this....

you won't believe it....

apparently it is against Ontario law to...

Dress up like Jason from Friday the 13th...

Hide in a garbage can with a fake but noisy chainsaw..

and (because you pre cut the garbage can)

smash your way out of the garbage can and

chase the garbage man with the fake chainsaw...

It is illegal, can you believe it..?????

No I didn't do it....

I just encouraged it..... Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Message 138 of 950
latest reply

but... didyou have to pay brokerage fee on the garbage can? or the chainsaw?

just trying to keep it on topic folks

Photobucket

Message 139 of 950
latest reply

The garbage can prank was sorta on topic (if you could see the inner workings of my mind)

Because the Garbage man was a test of the ACME JASON SLAUGHTER GAG.

The next experiment was to be ...

drum roll please...

on a mail/courier person.

Seeing how it is illegal we will not be doing that.

Oh

and garbage men have good senses of humour, once they stop screaming....

just a greet to all those sanitation workers out there, keep chasing those rainbows.

p.s. is senses really the plural of sense? Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Message 140 of 950
latest reply