50% UPS Brokerage fee????

kazoobers
Community Member
I bought an item that was $99.95 US. The Seller charged me $16.00 for UPS standard shipping to Canada.

The package arrived and here is a Brokerage C.O.D. due to UPS for $54.17. What a rip! The seller said nothing about additional fees due IN ADDITION to the $16.00 I paid him for the shipping. By looking under Help in eBay, I see there is nothing I can do about it.
The money's the same, whether you earn it or scam it.
Bobby Heenan
Message 1 of 950
latest reply
949 REPLIES 949

that is your tax dollars at work paying the nice fellow's salary!

Bingo!

If I am already paying the nice fellow's salary, why would I want to further subsidize a private corporation?

Message 101 of 950
latest reply

Here's something that I came across. It's on the FedEx Canadian site.

Begin Quote:
FedEx | Canada | FedEx Ground Terms and Conditions
Summary: Regardless of any payment terms to the contrary, shipper is ultimately liable for all charges and fees relating to a shipment including, but not limited to, any duties or taxes that FedEx Ground has advanced. Shipper is responsible for all charges, including transportation charges, duties and brokerage fees, governmental penalties and fines, taxes, and FedEx Ground’s legal fees and legal costs related to all shipments tendered to FedEx Ground.
Size: 31K URL: http://www.fedex.com/ca_english/services/serviceguide/termsandconditions/ground/terms27.html
2007/02/19

End Quote

Comments? I haven't read the whole thing in detail but plan to do so tomorrow.
Message 102 of 950
latest reply

cool_purple_dude
Community Member
That should put a huge crimp in the sales to Canadians by American Ebay Sellers ... like they need more excuses to refuse to sell to Canadians?

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket
Message 103 of 950
latest reply

That has always been the case with FedEx, and is one of the reasons to be wary of using their service.

Unlike UPS and Canada Post, FedEx will deliver the package without asking for brokerage payment up front, then mail an invoice days or even weeks later. If the buyer does not receive the invoice, or choses to ignore it, then FedEx will bill the sender. Which is why sellers would be well advised to consider the implications of using FedEx when they ship to Canada, and why Canadians should think twice before deciding to deal with someone who uses courier services for shipping.

Message 104 of 950
latest reply

A "bump' for all the newbies to read.

Message 105 of 950
latest reply

ryucoolguy
Community Member
ya its true, i just bought something for around 70 dollars and when it came via ups i had to pay 40 dollars extra on top of everything, make sure to ask seller WHAT service they are mailing by, if coming from states to canada make sure its usps because there is no fee to recieve
Message 106 of 950
latest reply

Amendment to that: Brokerage fees with Canada Post are either $5 or $8 - with courier services, they are quite a bit more than that.
Photobucket

Message 107 of 950
latest reply

My buddy at work today told me about a box of blank labels he bought from the States last week. It cost him $98 US and got delivered by the Brown Poo Truck which tacked on a $48 brokerage fee + taxes. He almost had a heart attack. He was so dissapointed that his poker chip labels now cost him more than the poker chips themselves. So on he went on the poker forums and told everyone to never order from the States especially when UPS is involved.

Can't wait for that class action lawsuit outcome that is pending. Anybody have any updates.

Message 108 of 950
latest reply

nicki9912
Community Member
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket
Message 109 of 950
latest reply

kazoobers
Community Member
LMAO @ Nicki

:^O :^O :^O :^O
Bobby Heenan
Message 110 of 950
latest reply

so here is my story...are you excited?

ok I ordered something from florida and it was shipped via Fed Ex.

3 days later at 7 A.M the fed ex van shows up, hands me a package and says Good day...

all is happy

45 days later a bill for $30 something shows up

$5 and change were the taxes

the rest were the brokerage fees.

the ringer

the letter was sent to a completely misspelled version of my company and an ever worse spelling of my name

brutally bad

in the letter it said that they (fedex) often delivers the packages and then later sends out the bill for brokerage service.

so I phoned and I said that I would pay the taxes no problemo as they were genuine, but the brokerage fee, for get about it.

and she said, well, if you don't pay then you will end up getting a collection agency blah blah sued.

and I said...do you know who I am?

and she said my name (Only she said the brutally mispelled name) and then she said the brutally misspelled company name....

so I said.

ok sue me.

then I put $5. and change, in pennies in their return envelope for the taxes.

quick second Fed Ex story

bought a 99 cent rock tumbler on ebay(duh of course)

shipped fed ex for $10 I think, maybe 12

so

I get a call from , we will call her RITA, from Fed Ex

telling me I have to get a broker or I can use Fed Ex as a broker

So I just pretended I was an idiot and had no idea what she was talking about and I kept saying....

"I just don't know what you are talking about, I certainly can't agree to anything on the phone I have no way of understanding what you are talking about, etc etc..."

so she finally hung up in disgust

and I said to myself

"Self" its $11 just forget about it, or they'll slaughter with fees...

so a few days later the tumbler shows up on my deck (they just left it, no signature)

and then RITA called again (ok RITA may be her real name, but I'm not admitting that....)

and she said Bruce, you have to get a broker or we'll have to send this back

I said the rock tumbler?

yes the rock tumbler....

Send it back huh...

yes send it back

ok

can you send it back then, and I will need a letter with a tracking number proving you returned it to the sender. Ok

Are you sure, because we'll send it back, you know, we are not bluffing, it's the law...

no problem RITA you send it back and make sure you send me that letter with confirmation

other wise you will have to re-imburse the sender

ok

and then I tumbled some rocks.

never did get that letter from

RITA

every once in a while I call her voice mail....

Hey RITA...Where is my Rock Tumbler

then I hang up

I don't think RITA likes me

anyway

I do it for all of the people that have been screwed by the carriers

Oh

and don't send me any hate mail

you know this is funny

you know it

admit it

part of you wants to do it too

c'mon

smile

it's ok

you can laugh Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Message 111 of 950
latest reply

wow....

tough crowd Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Message 112 of 950
latest reply

we're letting you and rita have some private time...
Photobucket

Message 113 of 950
latest reply

bill78
Community Member
So Canuckchat; you work for UPS right?

I haven't dealt with them in years; after I bought a buffer for $150 and had to pay half that much again in BS charges.

Never had the same thing happen with USPS; never any more than $10 duty charged.

UPS are crooks and it blows my mind why people even use them.
Message 114 of 950
latest reply

I personally would not use UPS again

Not because of the charges have never been dinged that way but because of what they pulled on me about 12 years ago

Made for an interesting and incredibly fustrating experience

I muddled through but aged incredibly

I sell Old Toys Nostalgia etc

Was bought out by an American Dealer

He had an account with UPS and arranged to have it go that way. His cost

Sounds great? Easy way to do it?

Seemed so

Until they misplaced the 14 boxes for 3 months

It left Canada was on one of their trucks and then poof it was missing

Phoned me told me it was safe on one of their trucks but they did not have a clue as to where it was

That sure increased my confidence level

The items were going to Reno Nevada

3 months later they found them in Seattle Washington. No reason as to why the truck was there. They did say it was not supposed to be It had arrived there a week after leaving Canada and was parked and not used again

No apologies left me a brief message saying they had been found and were on their way and thank-you for dealing with them

never again

weavers
Message 115 of 950
latest reply

ok

who is Rita Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Message 116 of 950
latest reply

kazoobers
Community Member
Bruce, you are the one who called her "Rita"
Bobby Heenan
Message 117 of 950
latest reply

No, I do not work for a courier company - I just simply have been in various businesses over the years and educated myself as to the options available for shipping.
Photobucket

Message 118 of 950
latest reply

s.brake
Community Member
I just paid $842 to UPS for brokerage and taxes- about a 50-50 split.
It was obviously an expensive purchase I wanted protected, especially since Fedex had lost the same item three weeks prior.
In these cases they arrange for payment in advance. I loved the question if I wanted to pay in cash.When asked if they accepted interac I was told I would have to go and pick it up! The nerve. $842 and why don't I make my way to their premises! Instead I obviously paid by credit card. So much for DELIVERY service. Maybe I am the only EBay member who does not have about $850 stuffed in their wallet. The best part - their pick up locations are always in the middle of nowhere. They always attempt delivery once and then expect you to come and get it. The hell with that; I always demand a delivery time and date. It's the least you deserve for the fees you pay.
Photobucket
Message 119 of 950
latest reply

s.brake
Community Member
Bruce: is that lovely Rita, the meter maid?
Photobucket
Message 120 of 950
latest reply