50% UPS Brokerage fee????

kazoobers
Community Member
I bought an item that was $99.95 US. The Seller charged me $16.00 for UPS standard shipping to Canada.

The package arrived and here is a Brokerage C.O.D. due to UPS for $54.17. What a rip! The seller said nothing about additional fees due IN ADDITION to the $16.00 I paid him for the shipping. By looking under Help in eBay, I see there is nothing I can do about it.
The money's the same, whether you earn it or scam it.
Bobby Heenan
Message 1 of 950
latest reply
949 REPLIES 949

terravarious
Community Member
I won a bell for $4.44, I paid about $10 shipping... as it wasn't worth much I didn't want insurance. The shipper didn't declare any value. UPS ticked the box marked $100 AFTER the lady left. It showed up at my door and the guy wanted over $60 in fees.. I told him to stick it where it felt most comfortable and shut the door.
I then e-mailed the seller and warned her that it would probably be coming back to her. As I wasn't willing to pay anymore fee's if UPS asked for $$$ at her door she was free to do whatever she wanted, she had sold and shipped in good faith so I wasn't going to ask for my $4.44 or the original shipping. I just considered it a relitivly cheap lesson to NEVER bid if someone says they use UPS.

She.. Bless her heart took it straight to the USPS and mailed it back to me. It cost her just over $5 to ship it that way. Her hand written note inside was addament that I not pay the extra shipping and that she would NEVER use UPS again.
It came by post 1 day faster, and NO fees at my door.
Message 81 of 950
latest reply

envutil
Community Member
I got wacked with a brokerage fee of $40 on a $45 item. I was sick. Not the sellers fault but a good education in not using UPS only USPS to Canada.

UPS items are accepted for shipping with a specified delivery date. If they don't deliver in time you can request your brokerage fees be returned. Check out the UPS website. My package took 2 days longer than specified and I got my $40 refunded by UPS.
Message 82 of 950
latest reply

snowrider747
Community Member
Ouch! I wish I had read this thread earlier... just got a UPS InfoNotice on the front door - apparently the Brokerage COD Fee is C$95.42; this on top of the U$30 I have already paid for a U$430 item weighing less than 5 lbs. What a rip-off!!! Never again by UPS.
Message 83 of 950
latest reply

Its not a rip - off - its a BUSINESS that is doing a SERVICE and charging for it!

There are plenty of threads to help educate you about this - including one that says to read it before buying from the USA - and I also have lots of info on my "me" page as well...

All ya gotta do is read...

...er... and comprehend..

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket

Message 84 of 950
latest reply

Thread link - its slipped down a few below this thread at this moment:
http://forums.ebay.ca/thread.jspa?threadID=600014592&tstart=0&mod=1171372328976

CANADIANS: READ FIRST BEFORE YOU PURCHASE FROM USA!
Photobucket

Message 85 of 950
latest reply

kazoobers
Community Member
Ahhhh, canuckchat... easy for you to say " read it before buying from the USA" in a thread somewhere, plus that you have it on your "me" page. How many people are going to say to themselves, "Gee, I think I should go read canuckchat's page before buying something?"

MOST people do not know about this situation until it actually happens to them. I have been on eBay for over 4 years and never had a problem until it happened to me, and there is no clear indication on eBay about this, unless you happen to search it. It may be a business, but they are GOUGING the buyers with their exhorbitant fees. Read this thread and see how much people had to pay UPS in their so-called brokerage fees. Up to 50% of the value of the item is ridiculous. They might as well come to the door with a loaded 45, point it to your head and demand your wallet.
Bobby Heenan
Message 86 of 950
latest reply

Yes there are places where Ebay discusses this as well - not sure where it is now but I have come across it from time to time.

This all falls in the realm of educating yourself prior to buying online and across the border.

Some people in Canada - I realize - are not at all familiar with cross border shopping. Myself, I live within an easy 2-hour drive of going to either New York State or Michigan State and do so frequently, and have for years - so I am familiar with paying taxes on items that I purchase and wish to bring back into Canada.

And long before Ebay was a twinkle in anybody's brain cells, I learned that using a courier service to have items shipped to me from the States would mean I would incur costs from a brokerage firm.

Perhaps you feel that UPS charges too much for their brokerage fees - perhaps I feel that Ford charges too much for their trucks. Neither one matter a bit in the big scheme of things.

Ergo: READ: COMPREHEND: EDUCATE YOURSELF! And for goodness sakes, HAVE YOUR ITEMS SHIPPED USPS!
Photobucket

Message 87 of 950
latest reply

niopen1
Community Member
My friend who lives in US sent me a PC card and asked me to test its performance. It costs me nothing. He paid the shipping fee. But actually when the package deliveried to my door, UPS left an InfoNotice and would charge me CAD$48.50 for brokerage COD. It is almost the same price of a new card. It will be delivery for the 2nd attempt next Monday. What should I do? I do believe I would ask someone send me package through USPS in the future. Any suggestions?:_|
Message 88 of 950
latest reply

kazoobers
Community Member
DO NOT PAY!! Since it was a friend who sent it to you, and you paid nothing for it, do not pay the UPS fee and they will send it back. Then just have your friend ship it by USPS and never use UPS again!!
Bobby Heenan
Message 89 of 950
latest reply

niopen1
Community Member
Kazoobers, Thanks for your reply. Will UPS charge my friend CAD$48.50 if I refuse to pay UPS fee? I made a phone call to UPS and the representative told me around CAD$7 for government tax and CAD$41 for UPS's brokerage fee. Wow it is really a lot. I purchased some items from US through USPS before and it costs much ceheaper. This time my family and, of course, my friend's frmily learn a lesson.]:) I really appreciate all of info from this forum.
Message 90 of 950
latest reply

there's no brokerage fee and no taxes due if it is not "kept" in this country..
Photobucket

Message 91 of 950
latest reply

chrisdandy
Community Member
UPS is definitely a scam.

A few years ago I bought a pair of speakers for about $500, they charged me $235 brokerage/duty, 50%!

Later I bought another pair of speakers but I had them shipped to a friend in the states and brought them across myself, the only thing I was assessed was GST (7%).

50% vs 7% how can UPS possibly justify that?? Are they putting half the value of everything they bring across the border into their pockets?

And now I just bought something else that was supposed to come USPS but the seller ended up using UPS, those crooks at UPS are charging me $67 on a $130 purchase (in addition to the shipping cost)!
Message 92 of 950
latest reply

cool_purple_dude
Community Member
My goodness - UPS is a bonafide BUSINESS - same as any other business -they have rates for their services - investigate it before you use them - do you call the corner variety store a crook because they probably charge you more for grocery items than a big huge superstore does???

Photobucket
Message 93 of 950
latest reply

they have rates for their services - investigate it before you use them.

This is part of the investigative process -- reading about other people's expriences and heeding the warnings.

Unfortunately, often it is the sender (or seller) who should be made aware of the consequences, yet either does not take the time and trouble to find out, or is stymied by UPS and their less-than-forthright attitude.

The corner merchant is free to set his own prices, but even the corner store does not add an extra charge to help cover the cost of "lending" the customer the funds to cover the taxes that are then forwarded to the government -- unlike UPS, which adds that fee to the brokerage costs.

Message 94 of 950
latest reply

How on earth would a USA seller be expected to know about Canadian import regulations and values of taxes and brokerage fees?

It is up to the IMPORTER (the buyer) to know these things.
Photobucket

Message 95 of 950
latest reply

s.brake
Community Member
Only outfits like LL Bean and Lands End are all that aware of duty charges as they run bonded warehouses to deal with Canadian purchases. Why? Because of sales volume to Canada.
Individual sellers on EBay are typically just that: individuals or small operations. These people do not care to, nor should they really for what they do, educate themselves in the boondoggle of Canada Customs.

I live close to the US border and cross over 3-5 times a year to shop. Their prices on towels and bed linen are incredible. I declare the goods I purchase and face consequences. Often, a Customs agent in a good mood will just wave you through the border. Other times, you get to line up and pay duty and taxes. You don't get to argue with Canada Customs, nor does the store you purchased your item in lecture you on duty and taxes when you tell them you are Canadian.

I can see people who do not live close to the border being shocked and surprised. It is a lesson learned and you only need to learn it once. Ask the seller if he will ship USPS and if not, move on.

I have recently bought an item whose value exceeds $3K US. It has been sent Fedex because of the value and I am well aware of the heinous fee I will pay. The seller and I discussed it at great length, but given the value she insisted on courier. Good thing, because the item is now missing in action. We are both working on finding my purchase; I have been blessed with a responsible seller. Sometimes the end justifies the means.
Photobucket
Message 96 of 950
latest reply

I think we are confusing two issues here.

Of course, having to pay import taxes (and duty, on occasion) is a reality when we make purchases outside the country. I don't expect to cross-border shop and return to Canada without declaring or paying the taxes on my purchases; I can minimize the charges if I am out of the country for the 48 our or 7 day exemption period, though. However, when I declare the goods and pay the taxes owing, there is no surcharge, and the customs officer behind the desk simply processes the paperwork and sends me on my way.

Although a US seller is not required to know our customs regulations, he or she should be aware of the potential extra charges that will be triggered for his buyer because if he chooses to ship via courier instead of the postal system, if only for the fact that he could end up being liable for the charges if the package is declined, or if the recipient refuses to honor the brokerage invoice (as can occur with FedEx, for example).

Message 97 of 950
latest reply

s.brake
Community Member
Why should the seller be responsible? It is the buyer's decision?
Photobucket
Message 98 of 950
latest reply

However, when I declare the goods and pay the taxes owing, there is no surcharge, and the customs officer behind the desk simply processes the paperwork and sends me on my way.

Of course there is no charge for the customs officer doing the paperwork, such that it is (they toggle it into their computer and voila, you get a printout of what you owe in tax/duty) - that is your tax dollars at work paying the nice fellow's salary!

Photobucket

Message 99 of 950
latest reply

Why should the seller be responsible? It is the buyer's decision?

It's the buyer's decision to purchase from a US seller. It is the US seller's decision on the shipping method that he ultimately chooses to use, often without the Canadian buyer's knowledge. That is the crux of the issue.

Message 100 of 950
latest reply