CANADIANS: Read before you purchase from the USA!!!

If you reside in Canada - and purchase an item from the USA - you need to educate yourself as to the fact that you WILL be paying applicable taxes and possibly duties on the item when it crosses the border into Canada.

Yes, if the item is shipped by postal service, your "brokerage handling fee" will be a nominal $5 or $8 - plus the applicable taxes for your province (and possibly duties, but seldom are they charged.)

And yes, MANY times the items shipped by postal service are NOT charged taxes or duties incoming - so sometimes you will escape paying the taxes that are due to the Canadian and provincial governments.

However, you should ALWAYS - and I stress ALWAYS! - calculate the cost of the taxes and possibly duties into the decision to make a purchase internationally.

Additionally, if your item is sent by the USA seller (or other international seller) through a courier service (for example, UPS, FEDEX, DHL, etc.) then your applicable brokerage fee will be upwards of $25, on a sliding scale dependent upon the value of the incoming item.

Yes, these fees (brokerage, tax, duty) are ALL part of the cost of buying an item internationally and having it shipped to you in Canada.

It is NOT up to the seller to pay these for you - YOU are the importer of record - YOU are the one who will be billed for these charges - YOU are the one who will NOT get your parcel until you pay these charges.

So - before hitting the "BID NOW" button, do a bit of calculating and make an informed decision to see if it is really worth getting that imported widget!

Happy Bidding, Folks!
:-D
Photobucket

Message 1 of 628
latest reply
627 REPLIES 627

Re: CANADIANS: Read before you purchase from the USA!!!

Ive bought 100 items or more from the states and b=never paid dudty once dunno what you guys speak of

Message 581 of 628
latest reply

hawlady
Community Member

Sure wish I was aware of this issue prior to being gouged by UPS!!!   BUT even with this knowledge a buyer is at the mercy of the seller if this is the shipping method they use.  I would doubt that as a buyer I could request the choice of shipping or trust that the seller will follow through even if they agree to your request.   Another negative reason to avoid buying international!!

Message 582 of 628
latest reply

3hillsclark
Community Member

I've never had a problem with any fees, I received something a couple of weeks ago, sent USPS - value $200 and it came thru with no fees.  I live in Alberta and buy off USA EBay a few times a year and never had any problem with duties, brokerage fees or extra courier fees.  But I will be careful from now on after reading some of the posts.

Message 583 of 628
latest reply

not true 

Message 584 of 628
latest reply

UPS sucks !!!  never again !!!  anything else is blessing !!

Message 585 of 628
latest reply

And NOW they are pitching US sellers a 'GLOBAL SHIPPING option; this option charges and collects 'duty and taxes' no matter what you buy or how much it costs ( eg: a $16.00 fee for shipping a lightweight used top that cost $12.50. ). I"ve emailed a number of sellers in the US to let them know that this option is NOT attractive to Canadians ( as it operates like a brokerage). The sellers were grateful for the info. They are being pushed tpo use it. Maybe on big expensive items it woyld make some sense; but not on anything below $20.00! ( Customs does not charge duty or taxes unless its over $20.00, ).

Message 586 of 628
latest reply

jazzpeck
Community Member

YES! recently purchased a used golf club, item listed at $33.94 fed-ex int shipping compared to $8.00 in US. which I paid now comes a bill from fed-ex for $18.79 incd handling fee hst AND hst on the handling fee! You'd think $33.94 would include everything .Canadians are getting ripped off! Free trade?...Well this is my last transaction ever . Good-bye ebay I can buy everything new cheaper at the store...Imagine my item was $57.00 and shipping and handling $3.00 less. I'm small and powerless but once Canadians wake up . Ebay will be no longer  a bargain.

Message 587 of 628
latest reply

rufen78
Community Member

they need to stop that Global Shipping Program crap.

at least for items under 100$ value shipped via USPS.

the last 2 items I ordered with that were overcharging, and took way longer than usual. the broker is really slow at processing those items.

Message 588 of 628
latest reply

"When you purchase an item through the Global Shipping Program, you receive international tracking at no additional charge and pay any applicable import charges upfront. There are no additional charges at delivery. You'll see an estimate of the international shipping charges and any import charges in the item listing. The final charges appear at checkout."

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/buy/shipping-globally.html

it seems people here were charged after import. I guess the additional charges after import only effect people buying from couriers like ups and all of them eh?

Message 589 of 628
latest reply

@rufen78 wrote:

they need to stop that Global Shipping Program **bleep**.

at least for items under 100$ value shipped via USPS.

the last 2 items I ordered with that were overcharging, and took way longer than usual. the broker is really slow at processing those items.

Or you could simply stop purchasing items that are shipped through the GSP.

Message 590 of 628
latest reply

it seems people here were charged after import. I guess the additional charges after import only effect people buying from couriers like ups and all of them eh?

Well, sorta.

The private shippers are very conciensious about collecting and remitting taxes and duty to the Canadian government.  And they collect a fee for doing so. They may even get a fee from the government for doing so, as retail merchants do. 

Canada Post is very lax about this. So many importers have never been charged. I've don't recall ever being asked to pay Canada Post's charge of $10 (currently) or duty or tax in all my years on eBay. But the possibliity is always there. 

Message 591 of 628
latest reply

Brokerage fees apply when goods are shipped by means other than regular mail. If you insist the sender use regular United States Postal Services you will never be required to pay brokerage fees. In my 20 years of buying on eBay once and only once did someone attempt to charge me with brokerage fees. Taxes and duties are minimal on most if not all purchases.
Message 592 of 628
latest reply

"will never be required to pay brokerage fees."

???

Canada Post does charge the recipient (buyer/importer) a flat $9.95 brokerage fee at time of pick up or delivery whenever Canada Customs assessed taxes (GST/HST/PST)

From the official Government of Canada webpage:

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/postal-postale/duty-droits-eng.html

"To process goods imported as mail that are subject to duty and/or tax, Canada Post charges the recipient CAN$9.95. If the item is duty-free and tax exempt, no amount is charged."

Message 593 of 628
latest reply

I recently purchased a dress from China.  I paid $72 for the dress and $25 for shipping.  You can imagine my surprise when the UPS truck came to my house today and told me I owed an addition $33 for a US import charge.  I purchased a dress from China not the US.  Anyone else have that kind of problem?

Message 594 of 628
latest reply

I have used Montana Shipping for a US address.  I'm finding a lot of US sellers turned off selling out of the US now.  They block us CND buyers out completely so I cannot even give them my US address at the shipping outlet.

Can we get a US ebay account with the shipper's outlet as our address and we reside in Canada?

Can someone at eBay send some of the idiots that work at eBay who have done such an excellent at f'n up what was a great place to buy and sell?.  I gave up the selling 2 years ago and my buying is drying up with my seller's closing their doors.

Message 595 of 628
latest reply

darylm
Community Member

I don't know if anyone has notice but there seems to be a conspiracy toward Canadians now. Both ebay and Amazon are charging us import charges at checkout.

It's not just UPS anymore. I stopped buying from any US merchants who shipped via UPS.

Now it looks like more US companies are getting in on the game of dipping their hands in our pockets. US corporate greed I suppose.

I'm pretty much to the point where I won't be buying very much from the US any more. I'd rather give my money to a Canadian company.

Message 596 of 628
latest reply

"more US companies are getting in on the game of dipping their hands in our pockets."

???

Changes taking place simply force Canadian buyers to pay the taxes (GST/HST) they would normally pay if they purchased the same items from a Canadian merchant, using Canadian labour and creating or maintaining Canadian jobs. 

The American sellers do not keep the tax collected.  It goes to the Canadian federal government.

And I agree with you: buying from Canada is a good thing and will help the Canadian economy.

Message 597 of 628
latest reply

I have no problem paying HST/GST, i is jacked up brokerage fees that are the main issue, and what I believe the poster was referring to about more businesses getting in on it.    I do take issue with saying it is greedy "American" businesses, as if there are no greedy Canadian businesses and sellers. 

Message 598 of 628
latest reply

<<there seems to be a conspiracy toward Canadians now. Both ebay and Amazon are charging us import charges at checkout.>>

Hello 'darylm',

Not a conspiracy, no.  Depending on where you buy from, Canadians have always had to pay import costs

on amounts above $20.  A large business like Amazon adds it on at the checkout, yes, if your total order is

over $20 Cdn.  Amazon then forwards the import charges to the Canadian gov't.

A small seller clearing out her attic has no way to do this and so just mails the item.  Our dear government still

wants a share of every nickel we spend and has thus entrusted Canada Post to do the collecting on its behalf. 

On small amounts, however, it is simply not worth bothering, not when some provinces pay only 5%.

All importers must pay these charges, so when you buy outside your own country, -- you are the importer.

Always be prepared to pay these charges, and if you are assessed, cough up the dosh gracefully and

without a lot of whining.  You've probably already seen this link about importing, and there are all sorts of

related links to explore on the page:

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/menu-eng.html

Ebay never added on the charges, and they still don't.  It is Pitney Bowes (the shipper/handler) who does

this.  But ebay is the culprit who put that program in, so yes, blame ebay for that bit of inconsiderate

short-sightedness and avoid GSP listings even if they were the last listings on earth. Smiley Happy

<<I stopped buying from any US merchants who shipped via UPS.>>

Haha, you and everyone else who ever made that mistake once.  UPS has long been known to be one of

the worst for brokerage fees.  The taxes and duty you pay according to your province, just as if you bought

the item locally.  But Canada Post only charges 10 bucks (well, 9.95) no matter how large the declared amount.

But UPS?  Phewie!

<<I won't be buying very much from the US any more. I'd rather give my money to a Canadian company.>>

Weeee!  Yaaaay!   That's the spirit!  (clap clap clap)  Smiley Very Happy

Message 599 of 628
latest reply

<<I have no problem paying HST/GST, i is jacked up brokerage fees that are the main issue>>

Quite so.  Hence so many people avoid American sellers who insist on UPS, and a few sellers

have even stopped using that company due to complaints from their international buyers.

Obviously the collecting and forwarding of taxes & duties to the Cdn gov't will cost money, --

the whole paper-pushing bit will not happen for free.  But Fedex is a bit more reasonable, and in

my opinion that $10 from Canada Post is the fairest of all.  Sure, we'd rather not pay anything,

but if we can't bear these charges then we need to shop only within Canada.

<< I do take issue with saying it is greedy "American" businesses,>>

True, but for the uninitiated it may 'seem' to be a problem with large American business, that is,

for those who are not yet familiar with how the whole import charges/taxes thing works.

No one is born knowing all that.  One finds out when one starts buying online internationally.

As it happens, for most folks that means buying from the US.

Eventually, however, people soon see that the finger of fury is better pointed at the Canadian gov't

with it's teensy weensy $20 import limit.

Message 600 of 628
latest reply