Canada Post delaying all parcels from China

CANADA POST is sitting on thousands of containers and trailers are piled up at every major CPC processing plant. They say they make no money from delivering the tiny packets and parcels they get from China.
Some parcels do trickle in the regular mail stream and you can receive in 3 weeks but I have seen first hand parcels that are dated Nov/Dec 2016 sitting in the plant lineup. So stop making excuses and call your MP. It is illegal what Canada Post is doing and heads should roll.
Message 1 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

Canada Post is not the only postal system doing this.

Most of the First World post offices are doing the same as a sort of embargo against China's refusal to cover the reasonable cost of international parcel delivery.

Until recently Chinese shipments had 'developing nation' status and rates, but as the second largest world economy, they have not been in that position for more than a decade.

This is an ongoing discussion at the Universal Postal Union level.

In Canada, this has combined with the struggle to contain the contamination of illegal drugs with cheap Chinese fentanyl, which killed over 900 people last year in Vancouver alone.

If you want to get your purchases quickly, before buying, contact the seller and ask if he will use an Air Mail and tracked service. These services are not being held, but are much more expensive than the cheap, slow (and heavily subsidized by Canadian taxpayers) surface service used by sellers of low cost goods.

Message 2 of 25
latest reply

I'm afraid you are not fully informed. Allow me to assist you in that.

Lettermail from China now has to be inspected by incoming Canadian Customs for toxic illicit drugs being smuggled into Canada by Chinese drug cookers. Fentanyl is killing Canadian habitual and recreational drug users in record numbers. Two grains of carfentanil the size of table salt granules is enough to kill people and it's making its way into even street pot. First responders run the risk of dying when they are accidentally exposed to it while answering crisis calls. 

If there are delays with the delivery of letters or untracked packets that you are expecting as a buyer from sellers in China, you can thank the illegal drug trade. Delays are largely due to Customs inspection, not mail processing flaws.

Read this: 

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/how-fentanyl-is-getting-through-canadas-border/article2... 

and http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/investigations/a-killer-high-how-canada-got-addicted-tofentanyl/...

Google the search term 'Chinese Mail Fentanyl' for more information. It's a serious life-endangering problem that supersedes the inconvenience of online shopping package delivery delays. I would suggest that until this problem is fixed, you shop from sellers in North America. 

Message 3 of 25
latest reply

Oh, I remember you now. You made a claim about shipping containers in another thread but then failed to show evidence despite numerous requests to do so. Yes, you got a lot of people worked up about that. If you truly believe what you are posting, provide evidence to the media. I'll be waiting to watch it on the six o'clock news.

Also, I personally know many reporters, having worked in journalism myself, so if you need contact information, send me a Private Message via eBay Community messages and I will put you through to people I can vouch for. 

Message 4 of 25
latest reply

The OP's thread to which I am referring that has now become the stuff of urban legends on ebay Canada:

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/User-to-User-Help/CANADA-POST-SITTING-ON-MILLIONS-OF-PACKAGES-FROM-CHINA...

Message 5 of 25
latest reply

ay656
Community Member

I wonder why fentanyl kills people in Canada, but not in the US? US buyers don't experience any delays.

Message 6 of 25
latest reply

Fentanyl kills people everywhere. Perhaps Canada is at the forefront of trying to stop it by mail import. Perhaps Americans have figured out how to cook it themselves at home for just as cheap so they don't bother to order it in the mail. Maybe they prefer to cook meth. I wouldn't know. 

Maybe America doesn't have the same extent of problems with Americans trying to import it, or, more likely as they are the USA, they have the Customs and Border Protection infrastructure already in place to support intensive mail screening

Smart Chinese sellers (not the drug smugglers, I hope) will figure out workarounds to ensure their Canadian buyers still get their orders in a timely fashion. Like offering shipping with tracking, or shipping from a location outside China. 

Message 7 of 25
latest reply

ay656
Community Member

@mjwl2006 wrote:

Smart Chinese sellers (not the drug smugglers, I hope) will figure out workarounds to ensure their Canadian buyers still get their orders in a timely fashion. Like offering shipping with tracking, or shipping from a location outside China. 

Some of them offer delivery through ePacket, which costs money (few dollars), but is considered trackable. Is this any better in the current situation?

Message 8 of 25
latest reply

You can have it fast or you can have it cheap.

If Chinese sellers are willing to give up some of their price advantage, and North American buyers are wiling to pay more for their purchases, the problem all but disappears.

If I were smuggling drugs into Canada, I guess I would use the more expensive tracked services that are not being held up. But I have a pretty low opinion of the intelligence of criminals, partly based on experience and partly on the studies that were popularized in Freakonomics.

EPacket or DHL shipping would be the answer if the sellers decided to offer those as the standard choice.

Message 9 of 25
latest reply

Again, I wouldn't know personally because I don't buy from China. From what I've read here as written by other posters, yes, the China ePacket is delivered when it is supposed to be.

My only personal experience within the past five years with items from China is this: two months ago when I bought a piece of costume jewelry from a seller in North America that led me to believe the item was being shipped from the USA, it instead came from China by Tracked Packet and I had it within about 10 business days, or less. 

Otherwise, as a buyer, I deliberately don't make purchases from sellers or businesses from outside North America with the exception occasionally of an item from UK or Germany and then maybe also Australia. That outside-North-America component of my purchasing power would amount to less than three per cent of goods purchased annually.  

Message 10 of 25
latest reply

siramba
Community Member

I received today a small package from China (replacement blade for my blender), sent by the seller on Jan. 23rd.->> today is the 12th of April!!!! Still waiting for the second package from another seller, also sent on Jan 23rd, also a small replacement part.

In the meantime I know that Canada Post is the culprit.... Ordered a simple cover for my tablet (sent from California on Dec13), it received Richmond/BC within 3 days, cleared customs and was then sent by Canada Post to the EastCoast / Mississauga/Ontario - the mail sorting centre.... sat there for a whole month and then sent back to Richmond/BC, arrived on Vancouver Island after 2 days..... CanadaPost is unable to deal with mail anymore... Check the tracking# for the tablet: LZ198375060US. It is still 'in process', even it was delivered on 20th of January.

My neighbor orders a lot of books and experiences that same insanity for years. 

The seller of the tablet-coverwent out of their way and emailed back and forth with me, wanted to refund, I told them 'wait'. No, they refunded and a few days later the item arrived. Then they had to send a money request...yadayadayada. So annoying. Same with 2 aquarium tweezers. The one seller wanted to refund after 1 month, I explained the situation. Both tweezers arrived after a very long time. Now THIS with the blender parts... 11 weeks/2 days - the 1st one arrived. The second one still not here.

I would like to leave feedback for the blender parts, but I don't have access anymore apparently after 60 days...

Any advice? Or should I just email them that it arrived. Bah! Canada Post....

Message 11 of 25
latest reply

update: the second tiny parcel was received on DAY 107 after shipping!!! Canada Post suxxx. I believe the one poster, who wrote that CanPost keeps shipments from China on purpose "on hold", because they don't make enough money on these parcels.

I will NEVER EVER purchase anything from one of these countries.

**But, now I ordered an item (cover for smartphone), location of item stated: Saint-Laurent, Quebec, Canada. Purch. May16, shipped, May17, supposed delivery date: May23....it is WITHIN CANADA, should not take more than a week. We have now day 24 of the 'shipping process' and it's still not here. I guess they do the same what other sellers do: ship from China. Ebay should do something about this practice. Seriously. Is there a group here who tries to achieve a "STOP listing a false item location"??, or make ebay to add it in their seller-agreement? I am getting seriously p.o.

Message 12 of 25
latest reply

If your item location has been misrepresented by the seller or listing, that is considered a serious offence. 

Open your Item Not Received claim, and Report the listing via the online form you'll find halfway down the page at right. 

Message 13 of 25
latest reply

The item arrived today, June 27th. Shipped on May17th, from Quebec, as the seller stated and also responded to my INR. They also mentioned that Canada Post has huge delays from Quebec to MB, AB and also BC. I am not someone who demands a refund right away, but I also don't want to throw my money away. All the sellers I have sent a message about INR were very kind and polite. No item ever was lost, just Canada Post scrambles around with mail.

I also want to give sellers a positive FB, which is not possible anymore after a certain amount of days. This time it worked, a few times it did not.       Good, honest sellers deserve the best FB. Just my $0.02.

Thanks for your responses.

Message 14 of 25
latest reply

eBay only allows 60 days after the date of sale to leave feedback. If that period of time has passed, you can always add a response to any feedback that the seller left for you. There is no time limit to respond to feedback.
Message 15 of 25
latest reply

I believe the one poster, who wrote that CanPost keeps shipments from China on purpose "on hold", because they don't make enough money on these parcels.

Canada is not alone on this. It is a big issue in the Universal Postal Union. Basically, every country in the UPU agrees to deliver each others parcels and there is a very very complex bookkeeping system in place for this. Since China became such a big exporter, they have been underpricing the cost of international shipping, and every recipient country has to pay to complete the delivery.

Keep in mind that Canada Post (and USPS) are not taxpayer subsidized, and that Canada Post is required to make a profit for its owners, who are us.

guess they do the same what other sellers do: ship from China. Ebay should do something about this practice.

EBay requires sellers to give the location of the item,not their own. Many dropshippers, naively or purposely, don't follow this rule.

If you see an item that seems to have several sellers but the same pictures and description, that's a dropshipped item, all from one supplier. And probably shipped from overseas.

If you believe the location is incorrect, you can Report the seller to eBay. This is a violation.

You can also open a Dispute for Item Not Received with Paypal for 180 days after PAYMENT, as opposed to with eBay who will not allow Disputes until the last estimated date for delivery.

Message 16 of 25
latest reply

@siramba wrote:

.... Canada Post has huge delays from Quebec to MB, AB and also BC.....

someone's feeding you b-s

Message 17 of 25
latest reply

Do you remember the "Canada Post will deliver" slogan? It was BS then and it's BS now. I have been waiting for 2 parcels - one for 4 months and one for 3. I wonder if they have been stolen.  

Message 18 of 25
latest reply

Or they were never sent.

A well known scam from (mostly) Asian sellers.

Have you opened Item Not Received Disputes for these?

You are well past the deadline for eBay disputes (open for 30 days after the last estimated date for arrival), but you should be able to get refunds through Paypal.

The PP Resolution Centre is at the top of your PP account page under Tools.

The first suggestion is to contact the seller.

This is probably not going to be useful at this point, so skip that.

Normally, it is the fastest way to clear up a problem, but....

Ask PP to step in and escalate to a Claim.

If the seller cannot prove Delivery (not shipping, delivery) you will be refunded.

About the 'theft'. Ask yourself why a postal worker, with a decent union wage, excellent benefits, including dental, and a pension, would risk that to steal your random packages? 

More likely? You bought from a scammer who never sends anything depending on the good nature and naivete of customers who don't question why an item is not in their hands after 30 days.

Message 19 of 25
latest reply

i am waiting for 4 parcels for 4 months.

some other parcels have arrived earlier.

Message 20 of 25
latest reply