Canada Post not delivering to apartment/condos of signature required items

If you live in a condo or apartment that uses a common entrance then Canada Post will not deliver signature required items such as "Registered Mail™ and Xpresspost Certified™ items" . The carrier will only leave a Delivery Notice Card (DNC). The eBay buyer will then have to go to the Postal Outlet specified on the DNC after 1 PM the next business day to pick up the item. 

Why is Canada Post only doing this 18 months after Covid started? Canada Post was delivering these items in the past without collecting a signature. Were people scamming businesses saying that they never received the item?  

https://www.canadapost-postescanada.ca/cpc/en/our-company/news-and-media/corporate-news/news-release...

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

As the notice states, they are going back tot the way it was done before Covid.    I get my mail in a community mailbox and before Covid, I always had to pick it up at an outlet if a signature is required.   When the sender pays for a service with a signature, Canada Post is obligated to have the receiver sign for it.  

Message 2 of 21
latest reply

Thing is that Canada Post indicated to me via Twitter that this behavior of leaving a DNC Is even going to occur if the receiver aka me is at home in the apartment. They are not even going to attempt delivery it seems.

Are eBay buyers even aware that if they purchase an item being shipped via a means that requires a signature that the buyer will have to drive down or get someone to take them to the local postal outlet? If the buyer is housebound can they designate a proxy to pick up items?

Message 3 of 21
latest reply

At one time CP  would deliver a signature required item to our door if we were home but they haven't done that here for a few years now so I am quite friendly with out postal outlet ladies.   Were they still going into apartment buildings and ringing the buzzer to see if the apartment holder was home pre Covid?  

For the past year I don't think that they were collecting signatures at all but now that Covid isn't as prevalent in most places,  they must feel that it is now time to collect signatures when required  but don't want the postal workers to have to go inside buildings to do that. 

When collecting mail from an postal outlet I think that the person picking it up needs to show ID from the same address but perhaps someone else can confirm or deny that.

Message 4 of 21
latest reply

I just recently moved into an apt from a house so I do not have any recent experience re signature required items here in the apt. The way I read the Canada Post press release it seemed to indicate a deviation from normal with respect to apartments/condos. I had thought that CP would attempt to seek a signature pre Covid at least but from your experiences, that was not the case.

Previously during Covid the items would be dropped off either in my mailbox (signature reqd) or I think possibly at my apartment door.  The at the door delivery may have just been a parcel item.

I know Amazon has no issue delivering here at the door but those are no signature required items. 

During these times I try to schedule my trips out and once winter hits here that will be even more important.

Message 5 of 21
latest reply

At present, there will always be a possibility of an exposure to Covid

(1) There is no guarantee that the person in the apartment has been vaccinated. There is a group of people that will never choose to be vaccinated. 

(2) The person in the apartment will not be wearing a mask, whether vaccinated or not.

As time passes we are closer to being protected from Covid.... But there is no guarantee that all people will be vaccinated or will wear a mask.  Covid variants may still be a problem

When someone goes to pick up a parcel and sign at a postal outlet..  there are rules that protect people from any exposure to Covid.

We are still in the process of getting protected from Covid.... BUT..... Not everyone believes in vaccination or that there really is a Covid problem.

Message 6 of 21
latest reply

Ok but is this nondelivery of these items due to Covid or was this always Canada Post procedure for apartments/condos? That is the million dollar question that I am still trying to get someone with more experience with apartment deliveries that require a signature.

Message 7 of 21
latest reply

Another thought to consider......Nobody could be home to provide a signature.

The Covid situation may be indicative of what will happen in the future.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

The person receving the parcel will pickup the parcel at a local postal outlet... and sign for the parcel.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apartment buildings now have community mail boxes....inside the building  or close to the front door of the building.  The end result is that there will be no mail delivery directly to an apartment.  

The future reality.......

Message 8 of 21
latest reply

or was this always Canada Post procedure for apartments/condos?

In most apartment buildings, no one can enter without a code or the permission (ringing in) of a resident.

Not all buildings have maintenence staff.

While it is usually possible for the postal carrier to access the mail room, it's been my experience that the carrier will leave a Notice instead of the parcel, because the boxes are so small.

Much the same as with community mailboxes. If the parcel box is filled or if the parcel is too large for it, the carrier leaves a Notice.

Carriers are always on the clock. They often don't have time for someone to come down 12 stories or to take the elevator up 12 stories (and back again) to deliver a parcel.  And the carrier often has multiple postal walks to cover before she goes back to the terminal.

Message 9 of 21
latest reply

@cumos55 wrote:

Another thought to consider......Nobody could be home to provide a signature.

The Covid situation may be indicative of what will happen in the future.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

The person receving the parcel will pickup the parcel at a local postal outlet... and sign for the parcel.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apartment buildings now have community mail boxes....inside the building  or close to the front door of the building.  The end result is that there will be no mail delivery directly to an apartment.  

The future reality.......

@theoldestfart 

A major concern for many buyers receiving parcels since the start of covid is if the parcel is larger than the personal mail box drivers(couriers included) there has been a multitude of reports of parcels being left in a common area in plain site. Once that happens there is a risk of theft especially with large complexes. Not all buildings have addequate building surveillance. Delivery status would show as delivered even though the receiver does not have in hand. Flex delivery would be the safest option where CP is involved. Or a note inside the mailbox stating for large parcels tag for pickup. (If the driver routinely checks mailbox.)

-Lotz

Message 10 of 21
latest reply

Thankfully here I have a vehicle and the postal outlet is a 5 min drive. Those who do not have a vehicle or can not get out due to mobility issues or the soon-to-be winter season here on the prairies.

However, when I lived in a house in the same area, Canada Post has left a DNC in pre covid days. The parcel was left at a SDM postal outlet 15 mins away rather than this 5 min drive one. 

Message 11 of 21
latest reply

Those who do not have a vehicle or can not get out due to mobility issues or the soon-to-be winter season here on the prairies.

This is something I have never understood.

My BIL (73) and his SO (79) just moved to a Gulf Island property that is only accessible by boat or the daily ferry. Internet service is spotty.

What they plan to do should one of them break a leg or both get ill at the same time, I cannot understand.

Message 12 of 21
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

My BIL (73) and his SO (79) just moved to a Gulf Island property that is only accessible by boat or the daily ferry. Internet service is spotty.

What they plan to do should one of them break a leg or both get ill at the same time, I cannot understand.

I guess when people choose to live in a very rural area that has limited ferry access and such, they need to accept the risk associated with that life style, one of them being difficulty accessing medical help in emergencies...

As for one of OP's question, yes you can designate another person to pick up registered mail for you. There are instructions on the back of the pick up slip. 

Message 13 of 21
latest reply

Many people live in areas where there is no  door to door delivery. 

They must go to the post office to get their mail. from  the post office box.

If there is a parcel a DNC is left in the box and is presented at the counter to  recieve the parcel.

A post office box  like this is the safest way possible for both a buyer and a seller

Message 14 of 21
latest reply

Sigh guess I will have to see if Canada Post can ensure that if a signature reqd item is sent to me that it winds up in the nearby postal outlet with ample parking vs the outlet 15 min away  w horrible parking which is the norm.

What does Canada Post do for regular parcels destined for an apartment? Is a DNC automatically left without any attempt to deliver the item to the apartment in question? Only have regular-size mailboxes for the apartments here.

Message 15 of 21
latest reply

Is e-bay is delivering items/products at the doorsteps of the apartments in Istanbul? Amazon is providing home services. But I am not sure about e-bay. 

Message 16 of 21
latest reply

@kanewillia_41 wrote:

Is e-bay is delivering items/products at the doorsteps of the apartments in Istanbul? Amazon is providing home services. But I am not sure about e-bay. 

While eBay may offer international package forwarding/consolidation services to sellers based in the US and UK, it’s those sellers’ choice whether to use them or to use another carrier of its choice.  eBay doesn’t operate its own shipping company the way Amazon does.

Message 17 of 21
latest reply

ZOMBIE THREAD FROM 2021

And unconnected  to the current question.

Sellers in Canada usually use Canada Post. Both Turkey and Canada are members of the Universal Postal Union.

Message 18 of 21
latest reply

They don't even try to deliver parcels to my condo.  They just leave a card in my mailbox to go pick it up.  So much for delivery!  I've complained so many times.

Message 19 of 21
latest reply

And yet somehow couriers from Amazon, Purolator, FedEx, UPS, etc... are somehow able to deliver to the door while "always on the clock". 🤔

Message 20 of 21
latest reply