Delivery preferences for GSP program?

So  I ordered a package on ebay and I was baffled to find out that Canada Post no longer is the last mile carrier. I used the GSP because only CP had access to open our apartment's main door. Other carriers like Purolator, UPS and fedex cant enter through our main door and backdoor. Incase of a failed delivery can i ask intelcom to instead deliver to a PUDO pickup centre or a Post office? And if yes how?

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

marnotom!
Community Member

I don't get the sense that Pitney Bowes has abandoned using Canada Post as a last mile carrier for GSP-forwarded shipments.  After all, there are scads of rural and remote locations in Canada that are ill-served or not served at all by couriers who themselves contract out delivery to Canada Post to get items to these locations.

My sense is that since the world went sideways about a year ago, Pitney Bowes and a lot of eCommerce sites that serve Canada have been broadening their use of other carriers, the choice of which depends on the item's destination, the type of item, and most importantly, the costs involved in shipment.

If you're absolutely certain that Intelcom is the last mile carrier for your item, it seems to me that it would make sense to get in touch with them ASAP to make arrangements for delivery alternatives.  Have your Intelcom tracking number (not your PB/GSP "UPAA" code) ready when you call them.  

https://intelcomexpress.com/en/need-help/

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

@marnotom! wrote:

I don't get the sense that Pitney Bowes has abandoned using Canada Post as a last mile carrier for GSP-forwarded shipments.  After all, there are scads of rural and remote locations in Canada that are ill-served or not served at all by couriers who themselves contract out delivery to Canada Post to get items to these locations.

My sense is that since the world went sideways about a year ago, Pitney Bowes and a lot of eCommerce sites that serve Canada have been broadening their use of other carriers, the choice of which depends on the item's destination, the type of item, and most importantly, the costs involved in shipment.

If you're absolutely certain that Intelcom is the last mile carrier for your item, it seems to me that it would make sense to get in touch with them ASAP to make arrangements for delivery alternatives.  Have your Intelcom tracking number (not your PB/GSP "UPAA" code) ready when you call them.  

https://intelcomexpress.com/en/need-help/

@jetskigalore89 

All very valid points. Problem being GSP has no grasp of the network that CP has always had or the lack of network everyone else has in Canada.  Same thing happens when you try sending anything in a rural area with Purolator. Eventually it will need to get back into the CP system for final delivery. So the same thing is going to happen with the Intelcom's/Apple Couriers of the world. And in the end causing grief and/or delays for the receiver. The more handling envolved, the more likely something will go terribly wrong. (When I worked in Manitoba and at the time was using Loomis, for some points Loomis would hand off to Purolator for final delivery because of exclusitivity agreements. This detail was not advertised.)

Does Purolator deliver to post office boxes? No; a physical street address is needed for delivery with Purolator.
UPS will only accept shipments to a valid street address. We do not deliver to P.O. Boxes.

All the private courier companies (DHL, Chronopost, FedEx, UPS, Yodel, etc) cannot deliver to PO Boxes because they offer a "signed for" service. If you only have a PO box, you must enter a valid phone number. (Some couriers may make special exceptions but you pay a premium for that service.)

At least with CP if it won't go in a community mail box it gets carded for pickup at the closest depot. With these other miscellaneous couriers if they do delivery to a home address, you risk drop and dash. Sadly part of the new normal. Rarely are packages left in out of sight locations as per THEIR website specifics.

This is why many buyers prefer tracking with known entities like CP. Personally have never understood why eBay permitted sellers to use generic terms for shipping. Sellers should be required/forced  to specify which courier they will be using so a buyer can make an informed decision before they commit to buy instead of finding out after the fact.

-Lotz

PS. The first time I tried to call Intelcom in Calgary it went straight to voicemail with no return call. The next day I called the office in Red Deer who directed me to an agent in Edmonton who passed on the info to the Calgary office who finally delivered the package 3 days later sometime during the day and leaving on the front step in plain sight. Haven't tried since. Hopefully things have improved.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Look into the new FlexDelivery service. I believe it is free from Canada Post.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply