Ebay extra charge for purchase with Visa?

I was just wondering if there is a new fee policy for using the direct credit card purchase option instead of the Paypal payment option for ebay auction purchases?

I bought two bike shorts for a friend and the total on ebay.ca is listed as $43.82 CAN (including shipping) and then my Visa was charged $45.50 CAN.  I don't see where or why the extra $1.68 was added on to the final ebay total.

Anybody else have a this extra ebay purchase fee happen to them?

I could not figure out how to talk to an ebay customer support person to get this problem processed through the ebay Contact web page.

Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

I just found my answer.  Ebay is charging new purchase fees!

I wasn't notified by ebay of this unpleasant surprise at all!

https://www.paypal.com/ca/webapps/mpp/ua/upcoming-policies-full?locale.x=en_CA

https://community.ebay.ca/t5/PayPal/i-used-my-credit-card-and-the-amount-in-my-transaction-is-more/m...

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

This update refers to money sent to friends and family members. It should not affect purchases on eBay... ?

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

The price in Canadian dollars is $43.82 but what is the price in US dollars ?

Was the original listing in loonies or US dollars or euros or whatever is the currency of the seller's home site?

I'm thinking foreign exchange here.

One of the reasons PP is popular is that it is free to the buyer.

We sellers pay 30 cents +2.9% in fees on every payment.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member
eBay shows an approximate (I'd bold that word if I weren't using my phone) conversion of the item's purchase price from US dollars to Canadian dollars. It's based on the loonie's mid-market rate on currency exchange markets.

PayPal, on the other hand, uses an exchange rate closer to those of banks or credit unions, which has a mark-up.
Message 5 of 5
latest reply