$289 USD to ship 2 small transistors?

Whats even happening here? Thats insanity

2021448.jpg

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Re: Ebay international shipping has lost its mind: RIP Ebay

@millana-dee wrote:

That's totally normal. One hankerchief cost 20 dollars, so why would that be any different. The Global shipping program is blatantly overcharging Canadians for shipping. And we just have to continue to suck it up. It's so wrong.

It's not the Global Shipping Program anymore.  It's eBay International Shipping, which is similar to the GSP but has some important differences for sellers, and to some extent buyers, too.

What some people don't seem to understand about eIS and GSP is that the shipping charges are the seller's charge for shipping the item to the forwarding hub (suburban Chicago for eIS; Erlanger, Kentucky for GSP) plus eIS's own shipping charge.  I've found a few instances recently where the eIS shipping charge to Canada is less than the seller's charge for shipping to the eIS hub.  I've also found eIS shipping charges of less than US$11 for smaller items that the seller ships to the eIS hub for no additional charge.

To get an idea of how much of the eIS shipping charge is levied by the seller, change your shipping location on the listing page from Canada to United States ZIP code 60139, the location of the eIS hub in Glendale Heights, Illinois.  (I think this is only possible from the desktop version of eBay, however.)

Message 21 of 23
latest reply

byto253
Community Member

My concern is the total cost for the shipping.  The details on how that is derived is not something I care about - nor do I expect by buyers to care about it either.   About the only things I get from the US now are from sellers who handle their own shipping directly with USPS, or more expensive or heavy items that I have shipped to a receiver across the border for me to pick up. 

If it was important to the seller, they would address the crazy shipping fees for small items.  But, IMHO the amount of potential Canadian sales is just not relevant for most US sellers and they just go with whatever the system generates.  It is not worth their time to individually check and verify for the small possibility of a Canadian sale.  Anything they get outside of the US is bonus gravy.  I can't blame them either, and a lot would not even be selling outside of the US without the eBay program.   

What I mainly buy are power adapters, memory cards or accessories for small electronics like cameras and video game related items, which are small and light so shipping is a key factor.  

Message 22 of 23
latest reply

This thread sums up the current state of what happens when you combine broken automated systems with sellers who don't set their listings correctly. Sellers then blame eBay for making it too complicated while eBay blames sellers for not setting things right. At the end of the day we're the ones getting screwed paying more for less and I'm pretty tired of it. The cost of living and operating in Canada is already out of hand and buying stuff on eBay is turning into another one of those "Nope can't afford it anymore" things.

Basically, with eIS, every purchase under $50 that you make is money down the drain. With GSP, you could buy $150 of stuff and in a lot of cases still get buy with a $50 shipping fee, but this is downright impossible to achieve with eIS unless you're making only single item higher-valued purchases that are light in weight. If you're buying anything worth under $50, and if you keep track of the numbers like I do, the overall shipping costs from cumulative purchases made via eIS are just downright atrocious and unsustainable.

When you're spending more on cumulative shipping costs than the goods are even worth is when I draw a hard line. These days I typically still try to operate within a 75/25 rule in that for $75 worth of goods, I shouldn't be paying more than $25 of shipping. With eIS, each cumulative purchase puts you into the red in terms of your overall goods:shipping expense ratio and my overall expenses on shipping are to the point where I likely won't buy anymore volume until this supposed combined shipping is implemented.

Message 23 of 23
latest reply