Ebay is the haven for scammers

Agree or disagree, Ebay is very lenient to scammers and fraudsters. A lot of fake sellers have been operating using Ebay doing illegal transactions.

I need to hear your thoughts,

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Been buying on eBay for the past 15 years and was never it by one single fraud.  Buying a lot from China because that is where most items I am looking for comes from. In that period, I remember 1-2 times (1 very recent) only where I did not receive what I bought.  Received refund every time.

Were all the items I bought high quality?  No , for sure.  But at the price that I paid some of them, it was to be expected. Took a chance, didn't work out but I do not consider that a scam.

I guess that it may depends on what you are buying and your definition of fraud, scams.

I can recognize fraudulent listings fairly easily.

They usually are new sellers (low feedback, newly registered) selling at ridiculous prices compared to the market or establish sellers price.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member
I don't think you're going to find an online marketplace that's completely free of less than honest sellers. And while eBay certainly has its share, I don't think this situation is as bad as it was ten or even twenty years ago.

@francoism999 has given you some excellent suggestions and advice.
Message 3 of 7
latest reply

One of my favourite sites back in the day was REGRETSY , which was dedicated to foolish, tasteless and weird products that showed up on the etsy site.

She got sued by etsy for reporting on etsy dealers selling directly from Alibaba and the like, while pretending the items were hand made (and not my teenage slaves) and large companies that were ripping off original crafters and artists.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

There are a lot of buyers who claim items not received . eBay does nothing to weed them out or stop them from bidding .

eBay will connect you with bad buyers , they rating system shows them as being reasonable , but his is not the case and sellers get caught unaware.

It happened to me .
Message 5 of 7
latest reply

@gear2743 wrote:
There are a lot of buyers who claim items not received . eBay does nothing to weed them out or stop them from bidding .

eBay will connect you with bad buyers , they rating system shows them as being reasonable , but his is not the case and sellers get caught unaware.

It happened to me .

and protects the scammers by not allowing negative feedback, which is a joke

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

@gear2743 

@leaky-bucket-labs 

An Item Not Received dispute can only be won if the seller used tracking and can prove delivery.

Because tracking is expensive for Canada Post,  sellers of low-value goods should consider using Cookie Jar Insurance.

Basically, this is adding a few pennies to a virtual Cookie Jar from the price of the product, as a self-insurance premium against problems.

If there is a problem, money to cover costs comes from the Cookie Jar.

Most INR disputes are valid. Most buyers and sellers are honest. It is worth politely telling a refunded buyer that she can return the refund when her (delayed not lost) purchase arrives using Paypal's Send Money Service. The buyer might want to pay it back but not know how, and you just told her.

Buyers who lose INR  disputes are now on eBay's radar. We see complaints on dotCOM from buyers who are no longer allowed to use the Money Back Guarantee because they made "too many" claims. Win or lose, btw.

If your INR disputes, or any disputes, are over 1% of your sales, the problem may be with you rather than the customer. (I realize if you are selling horse tack, cellphones, or gaming paraphenalia your demographic will be more sketchy). It may be time to start using tracking and stop losing money on failed transactions.

Sellers should use Feedback Left for Others to guide them. A buyer who leaves a lot of negs, or often mentions 'the problem was resolved', has described himself clearly as a problem customer.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply