Ebay's New Canadian Sales Tax is a scam

twdi_22
Community Member

The only people who should be charging tax on used goods in Canada are businesses. If people are selling their used goods, they are not required to charge tax. The only exception is automobiles. A private sale of an automobile requires tax before you can register that vehicle, but that tax is paid directly to the government by the buyer.

Generally the sale of what is referred to as personal use property is not subject to GST/HST. Personal use property is an item that people own and use for their own personal use. If you sell a used personal use item then the transactions is generally not subject to GST/HST. There are, however, important exceptions to this rule. One relates to the “small supplier” threshold. If the sales of personal use property in a given year exceed $30,000 then you are required to be a GST/HST registrant and you are required to charge and remit GST/HST. The second relates to commercial property. The personal use exemption does not apply to the sale of used commercial property, which is generally always subject to GST/HST.

https://www.northernpolicy.ca/article/tax-implications-of-the-secondhand-economy-4065.asp

Thrift stores, Pawn shops, all of these places are businesses, and must charge tax. They have a GST number these taxes are paid under. If an Ebay seller is doing it as a business, they must be collecting taxes.

Ebay collecting taxes on behalf of the average joe who sells one or two things a year, is extremely shady. There's no business number it's being associated with. What Ebay is doing, is they're collecting taxes, and since there's no business associated with it, they're going to apply those taxes to their own tax debt. Which is as shady as it can get.

I don't buy from Ebay that often, but I was shocked when I went to buy a graphics card from a private seller, and there was tax being charged. Then I noticed their "new policy".

Ebay is dead in Canada.

Message 1 of 84
latest reply
83 REPLIES 83

Like the saying goes "One man's trash is another man's treasure" and thus What is useless to one person is valuable to another.

BTW no one is forcing YOU to use eBay but you might just as well know that that you will be hard pressed to find a large marketplace like eBay that does not have similar fees... and the taxations... well that is not unique to eBay, so...your crusade against the taxation processes will get you nowhere, but I do hope you feel better with your rant..

However, if you want to avoid all of those grievances of yours , please feel free to sell your "useless junk" baseball cards locally on Craigslist, Kijiji, FB Marketplace,etc,etc...

Have a great day!

Message 81 of 84
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

Used items SHOULD NOT BE TAXED. Items should NEVER be double taxed.

They are not.

Transactions are taxed. The same item may be involved in multiple transactions even before it gets to the store and is sold as new.

The importer pays duty and sales taxes. The wholesaler pays sales taxes. The retailer pays sales taxes.  The customer pays sales taxes. Then if the customer decides the now used item can be sold on a venue like eBay or PoshMark or Amazon the online buyer pays sales taxes on that transaction.

I know this is the line from eBay, but I don't think it's actually correct. If the transaction was taxed and not the items, then things like books and precious metals would not be taxed at a different rate. There also wouldn't be a requirement on receipts to show what items had which taxes applied to them.

Message 82 of 84
latest reply

Zombie thread...
Again, arguing about taxes on eBay is futile.  It's the country's decision, not eBay's.

Message 83 of 84
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

-----------------------------------------
Help us keep the community friendly and fun for everyone, check out the Guidelines
Message 84 of 84
latest reply