How come low price seller(s) got de-listed by eBay quick?

Over the last week, bought  items in ebay. Apparently, those sellers that  I bought items at good prices (lower price than normal) got delisted by ebay quickly after having paid for the item. Sellers listed goods at 'normal' pricing remain.

It's a hassle having to ask for refund following seller de-registration. Ebay should institute automatic refund since it notified buyer(s), that the seller had been removed and item purchased is no longer available. Has other ebay buyers experienced similar problems?

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: How come low price seller(s) got de-listed by eBay quick?

This is a long time problem with eBay on how they handle NARU sellers.

NARU transaction information should not be hidden (that fails basic business accounting).

If the NARU purchase has not been marked as shipped, then it should be an automatic refund.

An NARU seller can become that way because they committing selling fraud, but they can also become NARU if they do not pay their ebay fees.  ebay treats both as the same. eBay really needs to revamp the whole process.

If a price is really low, then the chance of fraud rises. And tends to be caught more quickly when the price+shipping is less than the actual cost to ship the real thing.

I have had 2 NARU purchases in the last 15 years.  Both purchases arrived. In one case the purchase arrived over a week before eBay's worrisome warning message about the seller being NARU.   As far as I could tell both sellers owed ebay money and did come back from NARU status after they paid up -- but my sales information for the 2 purchases still remained hidden.

-..-

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

If you paid by Paypal you can open an Item Not Received dispute there almost immediately.

The PP Resolution Centre is at the top of your PP account page under Tools.

You have 180 days from payment to open the Dispute.

Stating in the textbox that the seller is Not A Registered User (NARU) and that you have not received notice of shipping should prompt the PP robots to make the refund.

You may find it useful to know that with new and occasional * sellers, eBay asks PP to Hold your cleared payment for up to 21 days before releasing it. So a scammer (or a hijacker) will not see a penny if you act quickly in this sort of situation.

BTW, when you read feedback, while numbers are important, and anything below 98% positive is a Bad Thing,  even more important are patterns of poor communication, delays in shipping, slow delivery,and obviously poor quality of goods.

*Sellers who sell less than a few times a year, or who return to selling after a long gap are "occasional" sellers. The latter may also have hijacked an existing but abandoned account.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Thank you for the kind advice. What I found annoying is, a day after paid up eBay notified that Seller had been de-registered. Normally, this happen to comparatively lower selling price eBay seller.  Buyer than have to go through the tedious process to seek refund. If a Seller is dubious, eBay should have it screened beforehand rather than let them list and immediately delete the Seller when Buyer had paid up.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

@osprey2389 

If a Seller is dubious, eBay should have it screened beforehand rather than let them list and immediately delete the Seller when Buyer had paid up.

In many cases, the account is not suspicious at all until the seller suddenly lists many items and fails to deliver them. This can happen as a result of an innocent account being hijacked, or when a scammer waits to build up a good reputation before springing a lot of too-good-to-be-true listings all at once. By the time eBay notices, many buyers may have already made purchases -- particularly if the scammer is offering an expensive item at a bargain price. If the seller is located overseas, it may take weeks before shipping deadlines are missed and buyers start to complain.

That said, I agree with ypdc_dennis that eBay could handle such situations much better rather than simply removing the listings entirely.

If a listing is too good to be true -- such as a new item that is selling for a fraction of its retail cost -- that is certainly a warning sign. And if a relatively new seller is suddenly selling thousands of dollars worth of multiple quantity listings at fire sale prices with free shipping from overseas with extended handling times and very long shipping estimates, you should be very concerned, particularly if the items are expensive electronics, cameras, musical instruments, tools, outboard motors, gaming chairs or epoxy resin gallons.

As a buyer, you can avoid a lot of headaches by choosing to purchase only from established sellers that have recent and past positive feedback as a seller for selling items in the same category that you intend to buy. If someone is selling a dozen apple watches, but has no feedback, or only has feedback as a buyer, or only has feedback for selling dress patterns or fishing lures (actual examples I have seen), perhaps wait until they have a track record of positive feedback for selling electronics before you buy from them.

You might miss out on a good deal from a new seller once in a while, and nothing can guarantee that you won't still run into a scammer anyway, but you can avoid a lot of potential problems by choosing to do business with established sellers. Anyone can put together a listing that looks nice -- it is not hard at all to simply copy an existing listing -- but it is much harder to create a history of consistent sales and positive feedback.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

I have a feeling I made a mistake and bought from a seller in China who is selling items at auction low but not shipping. I paid June 30 and they haven't shipped and I won some more items that I was going to pay today.

I overlooked the "will ship within 20 days" section and I feel silly now because those were the sellers that went NARU before and didn't ship anything.

This seller I won items from is getting feedback for items sold today and recent days. How can items ship and be received same day or within 1 or 2 or 3 days when they haven't even shipped mine from last week?
Message 6 of 7
latest reply

EBay gives you a window for delivery and allows Disputes only when that window closes.

But Paypal allows Disputes from Payment and for 180 days thereafter.

The PP Resolution Centre is at the top of your PP page under Tools.

Do NOT accept an offer of a Replacement. It doesn't exist.

Do NOT close the Dispute "to get your refund". You won't.

PP may allow some time if the seller supplies a tracking number that works. But that still leaves the Dispute open. Mark your calendar.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply