Import fees (Having to Pay Twice?!)

I just bought a used item off eBay...

It was extra for shipping ($20) - understandable

Then there was an extra 'Import Fee' ($30) - What?

Now I'm getting a notification from the shipping company that I owe them more money for the import fee ($30)

What is going on here?!

Where did that original $30 "import fee" go to?

Why do I have to pay an additional import fee of $30???

Never buying from eBay again!

What a scam

Message 1 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Re: Import fees (Having to Pay Twice?!)

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

My major complaint with GSP is it Guarantees that you will pay customs clearance fees and duties(Without GSP its entirely at the inspectors discretion) on your order along with delaying the delivery due to increased handling and bad routing. Personally I try to avoid a seller using GSP at all costs.

We're getting off topic here, buuuuuuuut. . .

We Canadians are so wedded to the postal service we love to hate (or hate to love) that we consider how it and services associated with it to be "normal".  The fact is, it's only items sent by international mail that are subject to taxes, duties and customs processing fees being collected or ignored upon delivery.  Even items sent by UPS Standard from the US to Canada have taxes and duties prepaid by or through the carrier, and importers repay those charges plus an "advancement fee" to UPS for that service.

I've only used the GSP to purchase cell phones because that's about the only thing I've found on eBay where the program works well for the types of items I purchase.  I don't think I'd purchase cell phones on eBay otherwise, and indeed, I don't think nearly as many US sellers would make them available for international sales.  There's no one shipping method that's perfect for every single item or category on eBay.  But with the GSP, because it's often automatically applied to listings where the seller hasn't specified that they'll ship internationally, the alternative for the listing is often no shipping (or reluctant / incompetent shipping) to Canada.

Message 21 of 24
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

What I'm thinking is that Erlanger may have customs inspectors from  both US Customs & Canada Customs in their facility involved with inspections and or pre-clearance and very likely because shipments are going out with multiple carriers - USPS, DHL, Fedex, UPS  etc they also have offices in that same building to reduce handling once the freight is approved for forwarding. The process is supposed to be paperless, but there are still a number of steps involved to get freight on its way. Random additional inspections can happen again when the freight reaches either border and that in a very large nutshell is what can cause delays.

"Either" border?  There's only one, isn't there?  nerd

Keep in mind that the GSP serves about 100 different countries.  I find it unlikely that 100 customs officers from 100 different nations would be paid by their respective governments to shack up in a US town of about 20 000 people in order to inspect outgoing freight shipments when that job can be done perfectly well when the shipment reaches the destination country.

Any inspection seems to be done by warehouse staff with some very basic training and directives.  e.g.  "Guitars may have verboten wood in them.  Don't forward them to the destination country."  "Zippo lighters may have fuel in them.  Don't forward them."  You get the idea.

Message 22 of 24
latest reply

gabmcl86
Community Member
I got the same thing, like **bleep** why do I got to pay for that, it wasnt stated extra charges may apply. That should be the seller's problem for misleading consumers.
Message 23 of 24
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

-----------------------------------------
Help us keep the community friendly and fun for everyone, check out the Guidelines
Message 24 of 24
latest reply