Items (x2) stolen out of mailbox, eBay most unhelpful despite submitting sheriff's crime report

Does anyone have advice as to how to get eBay honor its guarantee for items stolen out of our mailbox? I filed a theft report with our local sheriff's department (who confirmed a neighbor also reported the theft from ALL mailboxes in the group) and I reported the theft to the US Postal Inspection Service. The items were apparently stolen out of the post boxes after having been scanned in as "delivered to postbox" by the rural delivery service. Why the sellers didn't use buyer signature verification is beyond me! I have provided these details to eBay and they paid for the lower priced item, but now they are dithering on the higher priced item (~$158). As a 22-year eBay member, this is the first time I've ever experienced a theft of items I purchased here. The implementation of GSP was bad enough, but I am edging ever closer to quitting eBay for good after this experience.

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Items (x2) stolen out of mailbox, eBay most unhelpful despite submitting sheriff's crime report

This is eBay Canada.  We do have Sheriffs, but they mostly deal with real estate transactions, in my experience.

EBay's Money Back Guarantee is limited. The limit is Proof of Delivery. When the USPS put the shipment into your mailbox, it was deemed Delivered and that part of the MBG ended.

You have reported the theft to your local police. Did you also report the theft to the USPS , either your local postmaster or to the Postal Inspectors? Both have responsibility for theft from the mails.

You can also make a claim on your household insurance.

You can stop allowing parcels to be left in your mailbox or on your porch.  The USPS has a service like our Canadian "No Safe Drop"  which tells the carrier to leave a Notice telling the recipient where and when he can pick up his parcel, rather than leaving it unattended. Ask the postmaster about this.

You can rent a mailbox.

You can ask your sellers to use Signature Confirmation, and be willing to pay for it, which will require an adult to sign for the shipment before it is handed over.

Why the sellers didn't use buyer signature verification is beyond me!

EBay only requires Signature Confirmation of Delivery on shipments valued over $750. And tracking (Proof of Delivery) is only useful in Disputes over Items  Not Received.

Most US sellers do not want to charge the higher fee to their price-conscious customers.

The implementation of GSP was bad enough,

The GSP does not affect US buyers. It is a strong Seller Protection for US (and UK) sellers.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Yes, as I noted in my original post, I also reported the theft to the US Postal Inspection Service, a part of the USPS. Three other parcels were stolen on the same day from the post box, as were items from neighbouring post boxes. All neighbours reported their thefts to the local sheriff's office as well. Yes, I know about the $750 signature confirmation requirement, but as much as many these sellers are charging for postage a signature is a minor fee in the grand scheme of things. My time is valuable and I have now been fighting eBay for 23 days on this theft when a small additional signature fee would have solved the problem before it started. It would also behoove eBay to have actual humans assess the problem instead of having to call to argue against their AI. As for, '[m]ost US sellers do not want to charge the higher fee to their price-conscious customers', a US $97 shipping fee to Canada is unconscionable for a US $50 item; this is why I had my item shipped to my family's US-based post box (a post box that until this year had never been a problem in over 40 years). I use eBay infrequently these days despite having been a seller/buyer member for 23+ years. Having been an eBay member since nearly the beginning of the company, this is the first time anything I've purchased has EVER been stolen. As for GSP, sure it protects sellers, but only the sellers. GSP is needlessly expensive because eBay charges a FLAT customs fee and won't implement fees that are country specific (often as much as three times the cost), adds an additional burden to the already questionable problem of adding additional air travel and time to the mix (why should an item purchased from a seller in Seattle go all the way to Kentucky and back to the West Coast of Canada), and many items are opened and repackaged poorly/damaged by the GSP 'centres' (as has happened three too many times with my purchases). From now on, if I do use eBay I will try to only choose buyers who have opted out of GSP (at least Canada Post charges reasonable fees), are local, or it is an item that is GSP exempt. I will also demand to pay extra for signature required. eBay is great for sellers, terrible for buyers.
Message 3 of 5
latest reply

I have heard of ebay giving courtesy refunds when the buyer provides police reports saying that the item was stolen so it's interesting (and very frustrating for you)

that they won't do so in this case.  I would be frustrated too although as you know, having a package stolen isn't the norm.

Just some information if anyone is interested....

I could be off but adding a signature to a Priority package within the US costs about $3 so it isn't a huge difference. Most sellers don't offer it because US buyers often complain when they do have to sign because if they aren't home during the day, they have to go to the post office.

US post offices are generally open  9-5 p.m. so it is difficult for people working to get to a post office to sign for a package.  

Adding a signature internationally is a whole different ball game.  As far as I know, the only USPS service that 'may' offer a signature is global express which is comparable in price to a courier. I don't believe that Priority or Priority Express offer a signature option although in the past, I have often had to sign for a Priority package.  I'm sure if that is always the norm. Plus the difference in cost between first class international and Priority can make the shipping cost double.

I'm not sure why you think that the gsp charges a flat custom rate around the world because that isn't true.  Because of hst and gst, the don't even charge the same rate within Canada.  The only rate that may be the same everywhere is their 'handling charge' which is I believe is around $6.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

This was  your first loss in over 25 years of buying on eBay?

a US $97 shipping fee to Canada is unconscionable for a US $50 item;

The shipping charge is based not on the value of the item but on its dimensions, weight and destination.

The shipping service is chosen by the seller, not eBay.

Here is the USPS international parcel rates chart.

https://postcalc.usps.com/?country=10440

And the only one responsible for the loss is the thief who broke into several units in a community mail box.

It is disappointing that the local police and the USPS postal inspectors were not more interested in the theft.  Were you the only one to lose goods?  The police are not likely to bother with the theft of bills and junk mail. Or even love letters and Christmas cards.

The theft may be covered by your relative's home insurance. I doubt that it would be covered by yours.

The import fees charged by the GSP are Canadian duty on items valued over $20 and sales taxes on items valued over $20 whether they are dutiable or not, plus a ~$5USD service charge.  These are the same duty and sales taxes you are charged when you declare your purchases on your return to Canada.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply