My Umbrella was Confiscated!!!

Hi everyone.  Haven't been on here for a long time.  I need a bit of help in trying to understand why Global Shipping confiscated a antique umbrella I recently purchased.  It was a beautiful gold plated and mother of pearl handled umbrella which I was going to display in a antique umbrella stand.  I thought maybe the mother of pearl in the handle might be the issue but mother of pearl is not illegal to import into Canada.  I got it for a excellent price when these umbrellas usually go for a lot more and so I am so disappointed.  Any similar umbrellas are being sold through G.S. and so buying one of those is not a option since it may be confiscated also.  I've read that G.S. will confiscate anything made of wood also.  So no wood umbrellas.  What the heck!  Any ideas or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: My Umbrella was Confiscated!!!

marnotom!
Community Member

It likely was the mother of pearl that triggered the confiscation. There are apparently international treaties that govern how MoP imports are handled.

If you do a Google search, you’ll find threads on all sorts of websites that describe the problems people have in having MoP items shipped internationally through services other than the GSP. Here’s one to get you started:

https://maestronet.com/forum/index.php?/topic/317581-mother-of-pearl-cites/

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

marnotom!
Community Member

It likely was the mother of pearl that triggered the confiscation. There are apparently international treaties that govern how MoP imports are handled.

If you do a Google search, you’ll find threads on all sorts of websites that describe the problems people have in having MoP items shipped internationally through services other than the GSP. Here’s one to get you started:

https://maestronet.com/forum/index.php?/topic/317581-mother-of-pearl-cites/

Message 2 of 21
latest reply

And "wood" is usually a rare wood that is controlled under CITES rules.

https://www.mcilvain.com/news/cites-lumber-import-regulation/

Guitars are the most problematic.

Message 3 of 21
latest reply

Hi there.  I can surely attest to the problems importing a guitar from the U.S.  Four or five years ago I found a vintage Raven guitar that was almost identical to one my husband had when he was young.  He really wanted it but the buyer did not have shipping to Canada.  We contacted him and he was quite happy to ship to us.  This seller was fantastic in the fact that he had to acquire all the paper work pertaining to exporting this guitar to us.  It took about a month.  The hoops he had to jump through because of the type of wood that this guitar was made of just to be able to ship to us in Canada.  We got the guitar and this seller deserves a medal!

Message 4 of 21
latest reply

A search for .... Mother of Pearl restricted  ..... was done.....

The first answer.....

We cannot ship any pearl, shell or abalone products outside of the U.S. due to United States Fish and Wildlife Service restrictions.

Message 5 of 21
latest reply

Yes, and what makes this even trickier is every country has a different list of wood species restrictions. Both the export and import restrictions have to be considered. Musical instruments may contain rosewood, tortoise shell, mother of pearl, animal hides and ivory. The factors can also be agricultural. Makes me wonder how the pine beetle got here in the first place. It sure had a rotten impact on forestry here in BC. 

Message 6 of 21
latest reply

byto253
Community Member

In these situations, can you have the item returned to the seller?   Or is this going to be confiscated by authorities?   Seems a shame to see it disposed of.   From what I understand, ownership of items produced many years ago before prohibited trading in the materials was put in place are generally grandfathered if it stays in the country.

Message 7 of 21
latest reply

Yes as long as the rules of the specific item for both the export country and the import country are complied with.

The material it's composed of isn't the only criteria .  Sometimes an item has restricted material in it and is also considered a historical national archive.  A restaurant in BC had a bell from Mexico that breached both wood species and archival restrictions. ..A church bell hung on a rosewood frame was both illegal to ship out of the country and illegal to import into most countries. 

Here's a bit of info on rosewood. "

International

Brazilian rosewood products may be imported and exported commercially only if they are:

• Presented with a USDA-APHIS Protected Plant Permit;
  • Presented with documentation from CITES certifying that it was acquired prior to June 11, 1992;
  • Imported and exported through designated ports.

Non-Commercial Import/Export

Brazilian rosewood products may be imported and exported for noncommercial use only if they are:

• Presented with both an Import Permit and an Export Permit or Re-Export Certificate; or
  • Presented with certification of artificial propagation; or
  • Presented with documentation from CITES certifying that it was acquired prior to June 11, 1992.

International Travel with a Rosewood Musical Instrument

Musical instruments containing Brazilian rosewood may be transported across international borders only if they are:

• Only one border crossing is to take place, accompanied by the proper documentation from CITES; or a passport-like certificate is obtained for multiple border crossings.
  • In addition, the Brazilian rosewood musical instrument must travel through a USDA-APHIS CITES-designated port.
Message 8 of 21
latest reply

@intimewithmusic wrote:

Yes as long as the rules of the specific item for both the export country and the import country are complied with.

The material it's composed of isn't the only criteria .  Sometimes an item has restricted material in it and is also considered a historical national archive.  A restaurant in BC had a bell from Mexico that breached both wood species and archival restrictions. ..A church bell hung on a rosewood frame was both illegal to ship out of the country and illegal to import into most countries. 

Here's a bit of info on rosewood. "

International

Brazilian rosewood products may be imported and exported commercially only if they are:

• Presented with a USDA-APHIS Protected Plant Permit;
  • Presented with documentation from CITES certifying that it was acquired prior to June 11, 1992;
  • Imported and exported through designated ports.

Non-Commercial Import/Export

Brazilian rosewood products may be imported and exported for noncommercial use only if they are:

• Presented with both an Import Permit and an Export Permit or Re-Export Certificate; or
  • Presented with certification of artificial propagation; or
  • Presented with documentation from CITES certifying that it was acquired prior to June 11, 1992.

International Travel with a Rosewood Musical Instrument

Musical instruments containing Brazilian rosewood may be transported across international borders only if they are:

• Only one border crossing is to take place, accompanied by the proper documentation from CITES; or a passport-like certificate is obtained for multiple border crossings.
  • In addition, the Brazilian rosewood musical instrument must travel through a USDA-APHIS CITES-designated port.

@mpit7628 

If items are being "confiscated" or stopped in their tracks, (either GSP or the postal services) shouldn't the parties involved be contacted prior to disposal or whatever happens to those goods? I know that is what would happen in person at a border crossing or when flying internationally.

As per a search:

Notice of seizure

(4) An officer who seizes goods or a conveyance as forfeit under subsection (1) or (2) shall take such measures as are reasonable in the circumstances to give notice of the seizure to any person who the officer believes on reasonable grounds is entitled to make an application under section 138 in respect of the goods or conveyance.

https://borderbuddy.com/blog/so-customs-seized-your-merchandise-now-what/#:~:text=If%20your%20items%....

Request a review:

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/recourse-recours/howto-commentfaire-eng.html

Return of goods:

Return of goods seized

• 117 (1) An officer may, subject to this or any other Act of Parliament, return any goods that have been seized under this Act to the person from whom they were seized or to any person authorized by the person from whom they were seized on receipt of

• (a) an amount of money of a value equal to

• (i) the aggregate of the value for duty of the goods and the amount of duties levied thereon, if any, calculated at the rates applicable thereto

• (A) at the time of seizure, if the goods have not been accounted for under subsection 32(1), (2) or (5) or if duties or additional duties have become due on the goods under paragraph 32.2(2)(b) in circumstances to which subsection 32.2(6) applies, or

• (B) at the time the goods were accounted for under subsection 32(1), (2) or (5), in any other case, or

• (ii) such lesser amount as the Minister may direct; or

• (b) where the Minister so authorizes, security satisfactory to the Minister.

Getting your tax returned:

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/courier/crp-prio-eng.html

From the number of times this comes up it does not seem like all of these steps are being followed.

-Lotz

Message 9 of 21
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

If items are being "confiscated" or stopped in their tracks, (either GSP or the postal services) shouldn't the parties involved be contacted prior to disposal or whatever happens to those goods? 

To what ends?

Message 10 of 21
latest reply

@marnotom! wrote:

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

If items are being "confiscated" or stopped in their tracks, (either GSP or the postal services) shouldn't the parties involved be contacted prior to disposal or whatever happens to those goods? 

To what ends?

Either being returned and/or intended receiver being 100% fully refunded and advised of the reason(s) why so not to fall into same predicament. Currently sounds like there is no guarantee of these things occuring. These are the perils of 3rd party involvement. IE GSP.

-Lotz

There is zippo on the dot ca help page as to how to proceed and what will happen when an item falls in these cracks. 

Message 11 of 21
latest reply

Follow Protocol?.. lol... since '81 customs contacted me once. It was at the band's insistance. Their Seattle concert couldn't proceed until I identified the country of origin for a blanket inside their bass drum. Probably more to that story at the border but I did get a phone call. 

In the 60's I ordered boxes of firecrackers sent from Nova Scotia legally through Canada Post. These days Canada Post and Customs have terrroism, smuggling, money laundering, agricultural threats, and resulting warehouses full of items waiting for processing.

The days are gone when a shipper's error (negligence) for not filling out proper docs get a follow up by customs to the shipper's satisfaction. That's a good thing! You do not want them to process protocal. If they do contact you you can expect a sizeable bill for processing and storage charges and in some cases criminal charges.

Most people who  can navigate eBays framework which has similar idiosyncracies like the Vero program can navigate exporting procedures. It's not surprising that borders are cracking down on the contents of inexpensive mail that can not be traced back definitivly to it's shipper. 

Message 12 of 21
latest reply

Recently the GSP confiscated a beautiful hand stitched petit point purse I purchased because it had a little Mother of Pearl on the frame.   The seller used Mother of Pearl in the title of the item and the GSP bot picked that up.

It was a fabulous hand made purse which would have taken months to complete and they simply "stole" the item.

Mother of Pearl is not pearl(s).  In some cases pearls are a protected item and cannot be imported or exported.  Who Knew?  Mother of Pearl is very different and made out of the inside layer of some molusk shells and can be imported and exported without restriction.  I sent the folks at the GSP the official CITIES laws regarding Mother of Pearl but the GSP simply refused to correct their mistake.

I see they hit you too.

I will always be annoyed at what they did.  They had no right to confiscate my purse.  Not only was the MOP portion a small part of the piece it was also 100% legal to import and export.

The fact that they wouldn't even pay atention to the law(s) was infuriating and I still feel like they stole my precious item.

Message 13 of 21
latest reply

The laws or regulations that the GSP workers are likely being requested to heed are those of the US Fish and Wildlife Services.

https://www.banjohangout.org/archive/214624
Message 14 of 21
latest reply

Ooops.  I meant to say I sent the folks at the GSP the Fish and Wildlife regulations which clearly shows that Mother of Pearl is not restriced and not CITIES information.   

Message 15 of 21
latest reply

1. """ What type of requirements govern the import or export of wildlife jewelry?
    That depends on the species. You may legally import or export many wildlife items, such as mother of pearl and water buffalo horn provided you obey applicable State and foreign laws and comply with the basic Service import/export regulations explained in this fact sheet. """"

Message 16 of 21
latest reply

@sylviebee wrote:
  1. """ What type of requirements govern the import or export of wildlife jewelry?

That depends on the species. You 
    may legally import or export many wildlife items, such as mother of pearl and water buffalo horn provided you obey applicable State and foreign laws and comply with the basic Service import/export regulations explained in this fact sheet. """"

By the looks of things, an export permit is required for mother of pearl. and those permits are on the pricey side:

https://artisanguitars.com/products/u-s-fish-wildlife-cites-export-permit-mother-of-pearl-shell

Message 17 of 21
latest reply

marnotom! :  Please don't spend any money on a permit.  Simply remove "Mother of Pearl" from the eBay title when buying your shipping label.  There is nothing illegal about owning MOP in Canada or in the US.

Message 18 of 21
latest reply

@sylviebee wrote:

marnotom! :  Please don't spend any money on a permit.  Simply remove "Mother of Pearl" from the eBay title when buying your shipping label.  There is nothing illegal about owning MOP in Canada or in the US.

My understanding is that the workers at the Global Shipping Center check the package against the listing information itself because the item would be shipped to them without a customs form.

And while there's nothing illegal about owning mother of pearl in Canada or the US, there's also nothing illegal about owning perfume or ivory, but there's shipping restrictions for those, too.  Just because something can be owned doesn't mean that it can be shipped by conventional means.

Message 19 of 21
latest reply

marmotom!:  If you want to spend $120 for a permit to ship Mother of Pearl be my guest.

Message 20 of 21
latest reply