Package Held at Customs or Just No Scan?

I made a purchase from the US and the seller is shipping First Class International. But, it seems to be taking longer than the GSP! Never thought I'd say that! It's in the east (originating in VA and going through NY, headed for me in BC) so not sure if Canada customs in the east has delays (it seems to be pretty quick in the West).

There's been no updates for over a week since my package left NY... does that mean it's being held at customs or would tracking state it's being "held" if it was?
Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

marnotom!
Community Member

What's the two letter prefix in the tracking number?  First Class International items that having tracking numbers starting with "U" are considered untrackable letters, so the scans the item got while in the States may be just gravy.

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

It's LZ123456789US - First Class International. It's trackable the whole way. CP website tracking has stated "waiting for item" for over a week with last tracking indicating it leaving the originating country. I'm a little nervous that it's being held because the contents is nail polish stickers. While not technically liquid nail polish, they could still be mulling over whether or not it's dangerous goods. So I'm just curious if they had decided to inspect it further, if the tracking would indicate this?

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

While CBSA and Canada Post employees work pretty closely together at the Gateway facility in Mississauga (assuming that’s where your item is getting “checked into” Canada), I don’t think there’s any sort of setting on a barcode scanner for “awaiting further inspection”.

Something like that would probably just get x-rayed anyway, although I suppose there could be problems if only the words “nail polish” appeared on the customs label.
Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Is that the correct tracking number? I thought I would check the USPS in case it had more info but it shows 'label created, not yet in system' and CP says no such number found.  You're seeing the tracking info on eBay?

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

Haha, no that's not the tracking number. I just put in numbers 1-9 to indicate numerical values. It's in the system, just no updates in a week. I really just need to stop looking at it!!!
Message 6 of 12
latest reply

You have a working number-- which seems to be taking a break-- so you can be pretty sure the parcel has been mailed and is on its way.

What window did eBay give you for delivery?
Has the last day of that window passed?

If it has, stop looking at the tracking (which shows where the parcel has been, not where it is, in any case) and go to the Resolution Centre at the bottom of this page and open an Item Not Received Dispute.

If the seller cannot prove delivery, you will be refunded.

If the parcel arrives after that you have an ethical dilemma.

But if the last estimated date for delivery has not passed, stop annoying yourself by looking at the tracking. It's used as a Seller Protection and does nothing but upset you.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

The GSP is a scam anyways. It takes actually twice as long through them. Everything has to be routed through Erlanger Kentucky.  It also costs more to ship this way especially if you buy multy items from a seller. Ebay makes money this way. Totally wrong.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

The main difference is the import fees.

On US -made items  the duty is charged if the item is over $150 and sales tax if over $40.

On overseas-made items I believe the duty and sales taxes are payable at over $20 ($16USD)  for both.

However, the seller has to declare the origin of the item, and frankly most don't understand that, using USA as origin, no matter where the item was made.

I beginning to think that eBay should make it difficult for buyers to see tracking. We see more upset buyers who can't understand the spoke and hub system used by USPS, Canada Post, FedEX, UPS, most airlines and most trucking companies. Just telling them the tracking number is recorded by eBay and the window for delivery would pre-empt so much of this angst.

If the item, no matter how shipped, is not DELIVERED during the estimated delivery window the buyer is given by eBay, the buyer can be refunded.

Make that process even clearer and tracking numbers invisible.

I am old and cranky.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

@canadian-collectables wrote:

The GSP is a scam anyways. It takes actually twice as long through them. Everything has to be routed through Erlanger Kentucky.  It also costs more to ship this way especially if you buy multy items from a seller. Ebay makes money this way. Totally wrong.

The GSP is a glorified forwarding service administered by Pitney Bowes.  How did you think forwarding services work?

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

If it is being shipped thru the Ebay Global Shipping system it will not be trackable because of the dumb system they are using.  The package goes into a black hole and may not arrive.  No one will be able to tell you where the package is.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

You seem to be confusing the lack of tracking information with the lack of movement of your item. The lack of tracking information doesn’t necessarily mean your item has gone nowhere.

There were a few posts in the lead up to Christmas from buyers with GSP-forwarded items that had the tracking mysteriously quit before resuming a week or two later at a completely different location.

Unless the part you ordered has been considered hazmat (e.g. a used part that may have been in contact with petroleum products), it’s probably still on its way to you.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply