Possible Scalper SCAM - need help

Not sure exactly why, but I think I fell for a scalping scam.

I made an offer not realizing that it was marked up 2.25X the MSRP and went to work. After work I looked further into the purchase an realized that the seller doesn't even have the card yet. I reached out to the seller and asked if he could refund me, but claimed it would hurt his store.

I then asked him to show proof that he actually owned the item he is selling, and he stopped responding.

I believe that this user is attempting to buy a card with my money, and is stalling the sale (common eBay scalper scam)

Is there anything I can do? I feel like this is a misuse of the service, and would like eBay to request a receipt that proves this seller had something to sell.

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Did you pay for the item?

If not, just do not pay...

File an item not received request when the item does not show up in the required timeframe, you will be refunded if you have already paid.

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

So, people can sell things they actually don't have, and aquire after the sale?

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

@theboy_181 wrote:

So, people can sell things they actually don't have, and aquire after the sale?

Yes, sellers are allowed to 'presale' an item  as long as they are able to ship it within 30 days and it arrives before the estimated delivery date. Also, sellers are allowed to drop ship if they have an agreement with a distributor to do so.  Both methods definitely have some risks but they are allowed. 

The seller does say in the description that they will ship the item after they have received it so they are not hiding anything.  It's possible that eBay will hold their money until the item is delivered to you but even if they don't you are covered by the money back guarantee if you don't receive it or if it is not as described.

As far as the price...it's always best to compare prices before making a purchase.  

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

He is claiming that he has the PO though. Should he not have to prove that?

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

If you've requested a cancellation it shouldn't hurt his store at all. It may give YOU a ding though.

It doesn't look like a scam to me, or really even scalping. A lot of video cards have been selling for well over MSRP for a few years now even from major retailers, especially at launch. You definitely should have shopped around a bit though.

Where he may get in trouble is if he can't acquire the item. Regardless of what he has in the listing about reserving the right to cancel if he can't get it, I don't think eBay would share that view.

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

Buyers cannot cancel purchases. Only sellers can do that.

Cancellations "At Buyer Request" have no effect on either the buyer or the seller. 

If you do not pay, you will get an Unpaid Item Strike. You get one of those free, in your entire eBay career, but if you get two within a year (three counting the mulligan) you will end up on the automatic Blocked Buyer List of thousands, possibly most, eBay sellers.

If you have paid, you can only make a Claim after 30 days have passed from the last estimated date for delivery that eBay gave you when the buyer shipped.

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

I do hope that eBay will look at these type of tactics and not being acceptable for their buying customers. I do get that buyers remorse is not a reason to cancel.

Its the fact that the seller stopped responding, claimed he secured the item and had PO back on the 10th and its still not in shipping. Something doesnt smell right here at all.

I hear that a lot of scames like this are coming in from GPU scammers.

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

It’s pretty simple if you don’t receive the item by estimated date file a claim and get your money back. Beyond that I think you are worrying too much about the details. The seller owes you nothing but the item you purchased, at the agreed upon price, by the date provided. Anything else is gravy and good policy to communicate but not required
Message 9 of 13
latest reply

kiwo647
Community Member

I am the seller here. No this is not a scam. Yes, I have proof of purchase. Your GPU will ship out in a couple of days. I apologize for missing the estimated delivery date, the supplier was late delivering the GPU.

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

Overlooking that I don't have a clue what a GPU might be, the listing seems to say the seller has the Thing in his possession and has had since April.

"For sale is an nVidia RTX 3090 TI Founders Edition. This card was purchased new from Best Buy in April, and has been in my personal gaming PC since. The card has been babied and seen very little use; and has never been used for mining or overclocked. The card comes in the original box with all original accessories. Also included is the receipt from Best Buy for warranty."

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

Might you be looking at a similar listing to which eBay autodirected you, @femmefan1946?  I don’t see that description on the listing I found.

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

You are right. I was looking at a similar used item.

Message 13 of 13
latest reply