Return an wrong item after seller accepted return?

yua5829
Community Member

Hi everyone, I just received the item I bought from a seller in the US, however the item is completely wrong so I asked for a return and refund. Then the seller approved my request to return and the email said hold tight for my return shipping label. Does that mean I should wait for the shipping label and then mail it back? What about my refund and retrun shipping cost? Thank you!

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

marnotom!
Community Member

My understanding is that sellers have up to two business days to issue the refund after receiving the returned item from the buyer.  As for your return shipping cost, theoretically that's nothing for you to worry about as the return shipping label should be postage paid.

The rub here is that your seller is going to discover that they can't generate a return shipping label for a Canada Post service when they're located in the United States, so you and your seller may have to work out a plan B.

This thread from the .com community discussion boards is a little long in the tooth, but as far as I know, the information in it still holds water:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Archive-Shipping-Returns/How-do-I-buy-a-return-label-to-a-buyer-in-a-d...

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Yes, you should either wait for a shipping label or the money to pay for it.  They may be able to print a Canada Post through Shippo but they may find it easier to send you the money.  The cost of a label can be figured out here...  https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/far/business/findARate?execution=e1s2

If you pay for the shipping yourself and the seller decides not to compensate you, ebay cannot help you with that so it is important that you receive the money or label before you mail the package.  The refund will be given once the seller receives the item back.

Just to confirm...when you say the item is completely wrong do you mean that the seller sent something different than what you ordered?

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

If the item is the wrong item or has a defect not listed then yes the return shipping is 100% the responsibility of the seller, so wait for the return label. I am unsure of the cost of the item or if tracked shipping is used but there are a couple options. I have shipped with UPS and if the customer has not wanted the item, I have suggested they can just take it back to the UPS and state return to sender (and there is no fee) so it works great for both parties. Other services aren't as easy.

Often the seller will offer a lower price as having returns is costly for the seller if they have to upfront the fees for return shipping so this may be an option offered also.

No matter what, if the item is wrong do not let the seller try talk you into paying for any shipping. Ebay will protect you. If you are just unhappy with an item etc that is different than a wrong or damaged item.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply