Shipping price inboarding - outrageous costs

I can’t seem to find this topic anywhere so please correct the terms I’m using.

I’m noticing recently that shipping prices on specific listings that I’m interested have been listed so that the price on the physical goods is extremely low but the shipping is in the hundreds.

We used to call this service inboarding where we would lower the price of the goods in exchange for full priced services. What would happen is that when the client tried to return the item they couldn’t return the service and therefore the company would be sure to still profit if the item was returned.

Now I’m talking about a $299 iPhone with a $499 shipping price. And I’m seeing this everywhere on many products.

Is this something you can complain about?
Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

complain away, complain as much as you want...may get you no where though...

as a buyer you are free to choose to purchase or not and as a buyers or sellers we/you are free to ignore...

Sellers pay fees on shipping as well as on the item price>fees are calculated on the TOTAL amount of the transaction so the seller is not avoiding any fees...the buyer pays taxes on the purchase ...

but really what are YOU going to gain?

what do you really want? you want to purchase one of those items but don't like the way the seller is placing his pricing?

what is the difference between a $299 iphone with $499 shipping or a $499 iphone with $299 shipping????

choices,choices,decisions,decisions....ignore,purchase,don't purchase....move on...

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

LOL ... just about spit out my coffee.  Sorry mrdutch1001 but you have to admit this is funny!

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

@mrdutch1001 wrote:

complain away, complain as much as you want...may get you no where though...

as a buyer you are free to choose to purchase or not and as a buyers or sellers we/you are free to ignore...

Sellers pay fees on shipping as well as on the item price>fees are calculated on the TOTAL amount of the transaction so the seller is not avoiding any fees...the buyer pays taxes on the purchase ...

but really what are YOU going to gain?

what do you really want? you want to purchase one of those items but don't like the way the seller is placing his pricing?

what is the difference between a $299 iphone with $499 shipping or a $499 iphone with $299 shipping????

choices,choices,decisions,decisions....ignore,purchase,don't purchase....move on...

I've being making that similar observation for ages. As other suggested and I tend to agree, they do that as place holder. They are out of stock but hope to have stock........Eventually. Have noted with low value electronics,basic common cds and books. No other valid reason to do so. Is it kosher to do so. Only eBay can decide.

-Lotz

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

If a buyer wants to return an item on eBay they simply have to request a return saying the item wasn't as described.  The seller has to pay for return shipping and then refund the buyer in full... including the original shipping cost.   That means that inflating the shipping cost wouldn't benefit the seller in the way that you suggested.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

absolutely!...

gotta love these buyers that come to the forum to complain about the pricing of an item that they are interested in but don't want to pay the price and/or just want to complain about pricing...understanding supply & demand/a seller's right to price how he so chooses, etc...it's really a no-brainer...you either buy/pay the price or you don't! and then get on with life...

C'est la vie!....que sera sera!

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

@mrdutch1001 

Obviously neither is  a deal.

The best deal would be a $798 phone with FREE SHIPPING.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Placeholder example: Seller has plus 2,000,000 listings. Mostly books. 260.02 is first go to price followed by 259.76. In checking other listings(other sellers) prices are ALL over the map. Similar pricing schedule used by this seller in CD's. 

lotzofuniquegoodies_0-1661103458000.png

=Lotz

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

There’s a huge difference in the event it’s a lemon and in the return negotiation of the seller doesn’t return the shipping amount.
Message 10 of 11
latest reply

it's really irrelevant at this point...and the lack of responses to your thread really shows that the rest of the eBay world doesn't have any interest in this discussion, so let it die!

BTW, it has always been BUYER  BEWARE,  and you are now AWARE, so BEWARE!

Message 11 of 11
latest reply