Suggestion: Seller feedback on communication received

tm_c628
Community Member
I find for their most part sellers including those from China do communicate reasonably well when explaining product or shipping details. It's the few that don't despite having a high feedback rating that I feel we (buyers) need to know if prospective buyers had issues in communication such as remaining silent when asking for additional product details such as a different photo of the item.

At the same time I suppose we can have a section for buyers too as some buyers can be demanding, rude, or annoying.
Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

There already is a metric for this, but I don't know how accurate it is, as buyers aren't required to select how many stars for each DSR, they can be left blank.

Also, if no communication occurred between buyer and seller sometimes that DSR is not shown. I don't know if that includes when you ask a question but get no response but decided to buy anyway.

The way eBay shows these DSR ratings makes it seem like it's better than it is.

Through sheer number of customers a Chinese seller could maintain a 4.5 star rating, but if you displayed the data as "1 in 50 customers experience communication problems" it would more accurately present the data, however, since that would likely lower sales and isn't revenue friendly, don't expect it to happen.
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Thanks for your reply. How does an eBay subscriber access this "metric" because it's not obvious, at least to me?

Additionally, I tried to report an item as being not genuine or not from an authorized seller to sell the product...again, not so obvious how to report.

At best, one can request a refund for a counterfeit item but like it was stated in the media over a  month ago, eBay needs to take counterfeit products seriously instead of making it difficult to report the item when looking online. 

Anyway,  I still maintain my position that users can't report or provide any comment on sellers for their service skills unless you purchase the item on eBay —there's no way to make the report beforehand. eBay doesn't even provide a contact email address, only a phone number if you dig deep enough. 

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

The reason DSRs are useless is that eBay stopped using them almost as soon as they were introduced.

Sellers complained in part because eBay was telling buyers that a 4 star rating was excellent, but downgrading sellers who did not have a consistent 5 star rating.

So it's meaningless.

I personally suspect that the coding for DSRs are somehow tied to something important and for that reason have not been removed entirely.

Although I guess it also gives some buyers a feeling of control over a transaction that otherwise is very distant.

Feedback is only slightly less useful.

It was introduced back in the 20th century, when the internet was smaller and strange to most users, even early adopters, and gave users the ability to express themselves.

It has not been used by eBay to assess member accounts for over a decade.

If there is a problem, the Resolution Centre at the bottom of most pages is what to use.

This is how to get a refund, how to give a deadbeat customer a Strike, or a cheating seller a Defect.

And those are the ways eBay does assess member accounts.

I tried to report an item as being not genuine or not from an authorized seller

You can do that, but a single report from a single member is not likely to get anything more than a polite thank you for your service.

If many reports from many members are made, eBay will take note.

But a single member could be a competitor, or a vigilante, or just plain wrong.

The other complaint that eBay pays attention to is from a VeRO member, which is the company that owns the brand. They have skin in the game .

And lawyers.

Which is how you Report a counterfeit item. You contact the brand, not the advertising venue being used to sell the fakes.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

It was introduced back in the 20th century, when the internet was smaller and strange to most users, even early adopters, and gave users the ability to express themselves.

It has not been used by eBay to assess member accounts for over a decade.

Uh... I think your time passes a lot faster than my time LOL. A few years at best not over a decade.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

If there is a problem, the Resolution Centre at the bottom of most pages is what to use. This is how to get a refund, how to give a deadbeat customer a Strike, or a cheating seller a Defect

Well, isn't that special, lol. 

I have a problem and the "Resolution Centre" is anything but. I posted a thread here: https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Buyer-Central/Navigating-thru-ebay-s-maze-how-to-get-ebay-to-quot-step-... 

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bills/article-1619719/EBay-censors-sellers-negative-feedback.htm...

I guess we've been having fun, since it's been 12 years.

This is when eBay stopped the ability to leave negative feedback as sellers (to buyers). Not when the feedback stopped being relevant to a seller's performance... Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 8
latest reply