Used item and import charges?

Hello, have two questions here,

A seller puts up an item and says nothing about whether the it works or not. However the seller sets its item condition as 'used', so is it safe to assume that it will work? But if it doesn't then can I return it?

I noticed some items now have Import charges. Hate those but what I want to know is do I add the import charges on top of the shipping or is the price written on the import charges already the collective total used to send the item?

BTW for some reason I can see an import charge price when looking at the item from a mobile app and not in a computer website.

Thanks!!

Message 1 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

"so is it safe to assume that it will work?"

NO.  When buying on eBay never ever assume anything.

Write the seller and ask.

"But if it doesn't then can I return it?"

Some seller will allow returns but you have to pay the shipping - usually with tracking - very expensive.

" I can see an import charge price"

Best to check the listing on eBay.com, not eBay.ca to see the import charges

The "import charge" (duty, taxes and handling fee) is in addition to the shipping charge

Message 2 of 24
latest reply

"NO.  When buying on eBay never ever assume anything.

Write the seller and ask."

I did ask but I think they simply said "As is (read description!!)"

"Best to check the listing on eBay.com, not eBay.ca to see the import charges

The "import charge" (duty, taxes and handling fee) is in addition to the shipping charge"

Why eBay, whats NAFTA for then!!

Thanks a bunch for the reply!!

Message 3 of 24
latest reply

NAFTA refers to the North America Free Trade Agreement.  It covers tariff.

It has nothing to do with taxes (GST/HST/PST) which are levied in a normal way when importing goods from outside the country.  The concept here is that you do not avoid taxes by importing. You pay the same taxes as you would if the item was purchased from a local retailer. Otherwise, many Canadian retailers would close their doors and millions of Canadians would be unemployed.

Brokerage fees and handling charge are a fact of life. 

Message 4 of 24
latest reply

Interesting, I thought tariff are taxes, oh well I guess I can understand that. Still a shocker though. Thanks again!!

Message 5 of 24
latest reply

Tariffs are rate of duty applicable depending on type of merchandise and country of origin.

The purpose of NAFTA was to eliminate most tariffs (duty) on goods moving across the Canadian-USA border.

The concept of consumption taxes (GST/HST/PST) had nothing to do with it.

Message 6 of 24
latest reply

The purpose of NAFTA was to eliminate most tariffs (duty) on goods moving across the Canadian-USA border.

Also, the product has to have been made in one of the countries covered by NAFTA and customs can require specific paperwork that shows where it was made.

Message 7 of 24
latest reply

I  don't understand how pitney boews (global shipping) can charge tax or import fees on used merchandise either. Isn't that double taxation with out representation. So suppose also they are following all " laws, rules, regulations, etc... They would seem to be charging an awful amount for handling fees since I'm already paying for "shipping".

Message 8 of 24
latest reply

"I did ask but I think they simply said "As is (read description!!)"

If seller will not confirm explicitly that the item works as you desire, then skip it. look for something else.

Pictures and short descriptions in listings do not answer all your questions and should never be used as a guarantee.

Message 9 of 24
latest reply

"since I'm already paying for "shipping"

I believe the 'shipping' costs listed are for transport from seller to PB in Kentucky.

The other fees are for PB processing, paying 'import' and sending from Kentucky to you.

So you are not really paying double on anything.

You will be paying 'import fees' on items that do not often get dinged by CBSA, so there is that...

Message 10 of 24
latest reply

@sell-it-all-fast wrote:

I  don't understand how pitney boews (global shipping) can charge tax or import fees on used merchandise either. Isn't that double taxation with out representation. So suppose also they are following all " laws, rules, regulations, etc... They would seem to be charging an awful amount for handling fees since I'm already paying for "shipping".

If you go to a Value Village near you and buy a used item, you pay tax.  If you buy a used car from a dealership you pay tax. So taxes are payable on used items.

Message 11 of 24
latest reply

@mater721 wrote:

"since I'm already paying for "shipping"

I believe the 'shipping' costs listed are for transport from seller to PB in Kentucky.

The other fees are for PB processing, paying 'import' and sending from Kentucky to you.

So you are not really paying double on anything.

You will be paying 'import fees' on items that do not often get dinged by CBSA, so there is that...

The shipping costs listed include what the seller is charging to send the item to the PB depot in Kentucky plus what PB is charging for shipping from the depot to the buyer's location.

Import fees include about a $4 or $5 service charge plus taxes and duty if applicable.

Message 12 of 24
latest reply

"I  don't understand how pitney boews (global shipping) can charge tax or import fees on used merchandise either. Isn't that double taxation"

That is the law in Canada.  It had nothing to do with eBay or Pitney Bowes.

Go visit your friendly used car dealer.  Ask him why he is charging you GST or HST (depending on your province)? 

That is because that is the law.  Go to any other used furniture or used clothing or used sport equipment store and, once again, you will be charged consumption sales tax (GST/HST) with the exception of charity thrift stores (Salvation Army) where the amount paid is deemed a donation.

Message 13 of 24
latest reply

Ooooops! I just noticed PJ had already and correctly answered the question about taxation.  Getting slower here.

Message 14 of 24
latest reply

Yes and PB knows this & just keeps the money as there is no requirement for them to pay CBSA.  Also, this does not cover HST which will still be collected thru the Post Office and if they send you that notice you will also be hit with the DUTY (~7%) if the item is not labelled Made in USA so in that case YOU WILL PAY DOUBLE the Duty fees, once to Pitney Bowes (the ripoff part) and once to CBSA after you get the item.  The Global Shipping Program just a scam cooked up by eBay and Pitney Bowes to take advantage of a loophole in the tax collection system and take the money of both buyers & sellers.  Thanks!

Message 15 of 24
latest reply

@tesla444 wrote:

Yes and PB knows this & just keeps the money as there is no requirement for them to pay CBSA.  Also, this does not cover HST which will still be collected thru the Post Office and if they send you that notice you will also be hit with the DUTY (~7%) if the item is not labelled Made in USA so in that case YOU WILL PAY DOUBLE the Duty fees, once to Pitney Bowes (the ripoff part) and once to CBSA after you get the item.  The Global Shipping Program just a scam cooked up by eBay and Pitney Bowes to take advantage of a loophole in the tax collection system and take the money of both buyers & sellers.  Thanks!

No.

Pitney Bowes keeps the "import charges" because they're considered the importer of a GSP item and will pay any taxes and duty owing on the item.  The "import charges" are a repayment of what Pitney Bowes pays in duty and taxes and then some.

If you're paying duty and taxes to CBSA upon receipt of an item that was listed as being shipped through the Global Shipping Program, the seller screwed up and shipped the item directly to you rather than to the Global Shipping Center in Kentucky so that it could be forwarded to you.

A Global Shipping Program item should arrive with a Canadian return address on it and no customs information or invoicing on the outside of the package.

Message 16 of 24
latest reply

One thing, if you buy a private sale used guitar from a guy down the road, there's no pst/gst l, so bringing in a used item private sale shouldn't show any taxes in my opinion. This hopefully will encourage people to request sellers to show a lower shipping price tho to avoid Ottawa siphoning even more of consumers money.
Message 17 of 24
latest reply

@greatwestguitars wrote:
One thing, if you buy a private sale used guitar from a guy down the road, there's no pst/gst l, so bringing in a used item private sale shouldn't show any taxes in my opinion. This hopefully will encourage people to request sellers to show a lower shipping price tho to avoid Ottawa siphoning even more of consumers money.
If you buy a private sale used guitar from a guy down the road, the reason there's no pst/gst from him is that  1) it was paid already when HE bought it new and therefore when it was first brought in to Canada, and  2) He his not a retailer and not registered to charge taxes but if you bought from a used goods shop like a music shop that resells 2nd hand then you will pay pst/gst then.  
People should not request sellers to show a lower price because lowering the item price on a Customs form is illegal, and that means the person asking would be encouraging the seller to commit a federal offense.  Canada's import limit is $20 even though it is not always enforced.  You might find it annoying but when you find something you want really bad but can't easily afford the total just do what people have always done:  eat macaroni and beans a little more often to pay for it.    🙂
Message 18 of 24
latest reply

Well, here's a case in point:  I'm buying a pair of used (rare/vintage) Made-in-the-USA boots from a seller for $300.  I checked with Customs & Excise, they confirm that there are no import duties on them.  HST on them, at 13%, is $39.  Pitney Bowes is charging $85 in 'import fees' and $20 for shipping.  I'm fine with paying the shipping and the taxes, but what the hell is the other $46 for??

Interestingly, the Customs & Excise person I spoke to said that all import brokers are REQUIRED BY LAW to provide a detailed break-down of all their charges PRIOR TO THE TRANSACTION.  I don't even get that from PB >after< the transaction.

He also said that any importer is entitled to use their (import) 'broker of record' on any/every transaction, regardless of what broker the exporter uses.

Can anyone explain what the $46 is for?  Because I'm starting to smell a class-action lawsuit....

Message 19 of 24
latest reply

I don't even get that from PB >after< the transaction.

He also said that any importer is entitled to use their (import) 'broker of record' on any/every transaction, regardless of what broker the exporter uses.

PB is the importer of record, not you. They do not have to tell you anything. They are also allowed to charge what they like as the charge is import costs, not specifically duty and tax.

There should be an explanation for the level of taxes, etc, as they are usually fairly in line with what you'd expect but I have no idea what it is. However, you should have seen all the charges before you commited to buy the item.

Message 20 of 24
latest reply