Why is shipping so disgustingly expensive in the USA?

I am not buying much from the USA anymore due to the disgustingly high shipping. They are the highest in the world. No way is should cost the prices that more and more people are charging to ship. I just don't buy anything at those costs. I'm sure it is costing them because people will look for the best deal. I am wondering why are they so high? I used to buy lots of stuff from the USA, but in the last year, 2016 I haven't bought much. I will buy from someone who charges a fair price for both shipping and the product. I can buy the same product or similar from almost anywhere else in the world for much cheaper than I can get it from the USA. And their shipping rates are far less. 

Message 1 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

@lens8094 wrote:

I am not buying much from the USA anymore due to the disgustingly high shipping. They are the highest in the world. No way is should cost the prices that more and more people are charging to ship. I just don't buy anything at those costs. I'm sure it is costing them because people will look for the best deal. I am wondering why are they so high? I used to buy lots of stuff from the USA, but in the last year, 2016 I haven't bought much. I will buy from someone who charges a fair price for both shipping and the product. I can buy the same product or similar from almost anywhere else in the world for much cheaper than I can get it from the USA. And their shipping rates are far less. 

I assume you are really asking why shipping FROM the USA to Canada is expensive. Shipping IN the USA is actually quite cheap.

One reason is that Americans are in love with tracked parcels (which adds to the cost).

Another is that lots of American eBay sellers use the Global Shipping Program  (which collects taxes, duty and handling in advance). Other countries let you have your shot at the purchase avoiding the tax man.

And a third is some countries (like China) subsidise their postal shipping rates.

-..-

Message 2 of 26
latest reply

Here is the actual shipping cost through USPS.

https://ircalc.usps.com/

If you are buying through the Global Shipping Program, that seller protection program add Canadian duty and Canadian sales taxes to any purchase over $20CDN (~$16USD) plus a ~$5 USD service charge to the shipping cost the seller chose.

Message 3 of 26
latest reply

Over the last 2 years the prices for shipping from the US to Canada have increased dramatically.  Here is a sample to send a 2 lb box from Washington state to Ontario.  It is expensive.

us mail.jpg

Message 4 of 26
latest reply

Keep in mind that first class international has delivery confirmation to Canada and is available for up to 4lbs.  A 2 lb package sent USPS first class to anywhere in Canada  would cost $15.50.  4lbs would cost $36.50.

Message 5 of 26
latest reply

Another good reason to buy Canadian from a friendly Canadian sellerSmiley Happy

Message 6 of 26
latest reply

Hi Pj, does first class from the US to Canada have delivery confirmation (tracking)?  I thought that only came with Priority from US to Canada.

Message 7 of 26
latest reply

grade
Community Member

This is so not true. You want expensive ? Come to Canada where Canada Post charges 2x to 3x to 4x  what the USA charges to practically anywhere in the world.

I have loss tens of thousands of dollars due to Canada Posts outrageous pricing. It is beyond sicking what you get charged after a parcel goes over 500 Grams.

These charges are due to a Monopoly and paying Union Wages across the board. Plus Pensions.

Why does no one complain here ? Because it's Canada. They could charge 10x and there would not be a wimper..........

LET ME HEAR FROM SOME OTHER CANADIANS THAT IS DOING FREQUENT BUSINESS ON EBAY.

Message 8 of 26
latest reply

@musicyouneed wrote:

Hi Pj, does first class from the US to Canada have delivery confirmation (tracking)?  I thought that only came with Priority from US to Canada.

USPS introduced less expensive DELCON deliver confirmation on First Class Parcel to Canada and a few other countries about 4-5 years ago.

http://pe.usps.com/text/imm/immc2_022.htm

It came out around the time Tracked Packet USA and International came out. Probably because of some changes in the world postal system to have a common lower cost international tracking.

Message 9 of 26
latest reply

These charges are due to a Monopoly and paying Union Wages across the board. Plus Pensions.

Canada Post does not have a monopoly on shipping parcels. It doesn't really even have a monopoly on lettermail.

Most first world postal services have unionized workers. Including both Canada Post and the USPS.

The wage  difference between a unionized worker and a non-unionized worker is about 3%.

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/75-001-x/00902/4168247-eng.html

Which is enought that the former can afford to buy more stuff, which is good for those of us who sell stuff.

Message 10 of 26
latest reply

@grade wrote:

... where Canada Post charges 2x to 3x to 4x  what the USA charges to practically anywhere in the world.

... It is beyond sicking what you get charged after a parcel goes over 500 Grams.

Canada Post does NOT have a monopoly on parcels. You can always ship parcels with UPS, FedEx, DHL and others.

If you want to complain about Canada Post shipping prices as a seller then you should do it in the Selling forums rather than in a Buying forum.

Message 11 of 26
latest reply

If you go to the USPS website,the first thing you see is the Priority prices.

Note the tiny blue line at the bottom, that leads to the First class prices.

How many people would fail to notice this and think the PMI prices were all there are?

Not really surprising people use PMI when FCMI would be as good.

It's a win for public profit but a poor show for public service.

Of course, the site does not mention that up  to 4 pounds weight, the PMI and the FCMI packages are all treated as 'small packet post' and all travel the same way at the same speed.

Message 12 of 26
latest reply

Yep.... used to buy a lot online from the US, but shipping charges are what killed that. Stuff that used to weigh over

50lbs or more was even worth it. But now, thanks to unions ... mafia.... whichever you want to call it, the big 3 shippers

are priced far out of reach. This is even starting to happen with Canada Post now. So now we all are buying from Asia and

UK where pricing and shipping charges are much more reasonable but we have to deal with either months of wait or

not even recieving stuff all.... especially over the last few months. Canada customs( or government dept, probably unionized, again mafia) is a huge bottleneck right now.... they are sitting on warehouses full of stuff they are behind on. We all know

how efficient our Gov't departments and services are so they will be working on that backlog until July.

Solution is..... to just stop buying stuff. I'll stop if everyone else stops. That is most Canadians biggest problem right now. Its an

addiction or a habit we need to beat.

Message 13 of 26
latest reply

@grade wrote:

I have loss tens of thousands of dollars due to Canada Posts outrageous pricing. It is beyond sicking what you get charged after a parcel goes over 500 Grams.

Hilarious! If you really have lost "tens of thousands of dollars due to Canada Post's outrageous pricing", you shipping costs must be enormous, like hundreds of thousands, and you items cost, well lots and lots. I guess Canadians are not entitled to make living wages and earn a pension because a few business people want to get richer faster.

Message 14 of 26
latest reply

nikkow
Community Member
The good old global scam program
Message 15 of 26
latest reply

I checked a few of your items, and none of them has a shipping cost that is viewable.  Canada and US states that shipping cannot be calculated - please enter a valid Postal Code.  All other countries state the item will ship but the seller has not specified shipping costs.  That includes current listings and sold listings.  How do your customers know what they are being charged for shipping?  Perhaps that is why you are losing tens of thousands of dollars.

Message 16 of 26
latest reply

@maggiebvintage2010 wrote:

I checked a few of your items, and none of them has a shipping cost that is viewable.  

How do your customers know what they are being charged for shipping?  Perhaps that is why you are losing tens of thousands of dollars.

As 'mjwl2006' explained to 'grade' on another thread, he's basically telling buyers to go find the Canada Post website and figure it out for themselves! LOL!!

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/CANADA-POST-OUTRAGEOUS-SHIPPING-CHARGES/m-p/361507

Message 17 of 26
latest reply

You think it was bad in 2017, it's scandalous now in 2023 from USA to Canada a basic little padded envelope with 3 brass nuts $21.00. Trudeau must be getting a cut.

Message 18 of 26
latest reply

ZOMBIE THREAD FROM 2017.

The problem with zombie threads is that the information is often out of date and inaccurate.

Here is the current USPS international rate card.

Note that many US sellers never look further than the first (and most expensive ) rate, rather than the cheaper First Class International Package which still offers tracking.

https://postcalc.usps.com/?country=10440

Message 19 of 26
latest reply

Not only is our PM getting a cut from every postal label sold in Canada but, it was recently somehow proved, that he, and he alone, was responsible for the Lindbergh baby kidnapping.  Don't even get me going on how it is common knowledge that Jimmy Hoffa is indeed buried under our PM's summer house driveway.

Message 20 of 26
latest reply