eBay shipping is getting way too expensive and inconsistent

Ebay's Global Shipping is getting ridiculously expensive.  I want to by an item worth $ 130 USD from Arizona, it is about the size of 1.5x of a toaster and weight 2.2 kg (5 lbs) to Vancouver.  ebay shipping wants $ 67 USD BEFORE duties etc.  And it isn't expedite shipping, it probably will take 3+ wks.  What gives?  I understand they need to get paid but this is getting ridiculous!

Message 1 of 29
latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

Re: eBay shipping is getting way too expensive and inconsistent

@marnotom! wrote:

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:
Interesting to note with the newly introducing eBay International Shipping program there is an option for sellers to opt out of the program, but no option to opt out on a single listing basis. (At least nothing I am seeing. This was available with GSP. 

There also doesn't seem to be an option for sellers to exclude specific countries or regions from the new program, although I doubt many sellers took advantage of that option when using the GSP.  Also, given that there are so many perks for sellers with this new scheme, I doubt that many sellers would want to give them up for the sake of a sale, anyway, and those seeking advice on this on the .com discussion boards would likely be told that a buyer wanting direct shipping is likely a scammer. 🙄

When I was researching the link for the new program it does mention going into a sellers settings to exclude countries + (AK/HI) + US AF Bases + US Protectorates if they choose to along with countries that are acceptable. Sellers also need to know the items are not permitted. And that includes size limitations.

-Lotz

As a side, too bad the same flexibility wasn't built in for Canadian sellers. We can exclude PO boxes but not specific states or territories, bases & protectorates.

Another benefit of the new program:

• eBay International Shipping costs are on average 5% cheaper than eBay's pre-negotiated USPS international rates🤣😂🤣
Message 21 of 29
latest reply

Since the beginning of the GSP there has been one important change.

The latest version of NAFTA raised our duty-free allowance for  US purchases to $150 and our tax-free allowance to $40.  Previously it had been $20 for each.

So many GSP complaints about high cost have disappeared.

One concern about the EISP is that , while the GSP folded import fees into the buyer's payment before the seller was told to ship,  the EISP leaves duty and tax until delivery.  The buyer will be paying the carrier on delivery, which may offset the apparent low cost of the new system.

Especially since the GSP service fee is ~$5 US while the Canada Post fee is $9.95 . Couriers notoriously charge even more.

Message 22 of 29
latest reply

What are the perks for US sellers?

GSP offered protection against INR once the shipment was accepted at the Erlanger plant, and some protection against  NAD due to damage in shipping.

Message 23 of 29
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

GSP offered protection against INR once the shipment was accepted at the Erlanger plant, and some protection against  NAD due to damage in shipping.

In addition to what you mentioned, sales made through EIS aren't subject to International Fees  and in the event of a return, the seller gets to keep the sale and eBay handles it.  I'm not sure about the details on that, though, such as whether that applies to remorse as well as INAD returns.

I did read a post on the .com boards from a seller that claimed that they also weren't charged FVF on the hefty VAT their buyer paid on the item, but I can't see that perk on this chart that compares the three international forwarding systems:

https://ir.ebaystatic.com/pictures/aw/pics/sc/pdf/ebay-international-shipping-features-comparison-ta...

Message 24 of 29
latest reply

@marnotom! wrote:

@reallynicestamps wrote:

In addition to what you mentioned, sales made through EIS aren't subject to International Fees  and in the event of a return, the seller gets to keep the sale and eBay handles it.  I'm not sure about the details on that, though, such as whether that applies to remorse as well as INAD returns.

I did read a post on the .com boards from a seller that claimed that they also weren't charged FVF on the hefty VAT their buyer paid on the item, but I can't see that perk on this chart that compares the three international forwarding systems:

https://ir.ebaystatic.com/pictures/aw/pics/sc/pdf/ebay-international-shipping-features-comparison-ta...

Here is the full lowdown for returns with international shipping. eBay Help.

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/managing-returns-refunds/manage-returns-missing-items-refunds-sell...

I believe I recently spotted a discussion on dot regarding that topic. Went into the pro's and cons in major detail. Unable to find at the moment. There is this one.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/ExperiencedSellers/NEW-INTERNATIONAL-SHIPPING/m-p/33517716

-Lotz

PS. If I am reading that chart correctly it does appear to give US sellers using eBay Intl Shipping a distinct advantage fees wise compared to Canadian sellers.

Message 25 of 29
latest reply

@marnotom! 

It is interesting that the report does verify there are no savings for buyers when it comes to the shipping with GSP. Even if it was done very ummm in a way buyers would ever suspect that was the case!!

-Lotz

Message 26 of 29
latest reply

Here is the full lowdown for returns with international shipping. eBay Help.

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/managing-returns-refunds/manage-returns-missing-items-refunds-sell...

I see a Help page devoted to returns in general.  Clicked on a few things but the only reference I could find to international shipping specifically was that "language barriers" (snork) could make it difficult for US sellers to purchase return shipping labels from overseas.  

I believe I recently spotted a discussion on dot regarding that topic. Went into the pro's and cons in major detail. Unable to find at the moment. There is this one.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/ExperiencedSellers/NEW-INTERNATIONAL-SHIPPING/m-p/33517716

I'm denied access to that thread.  I'm probably not able to view the "Experienced Sellers" board as my experience is attached to my wife's ID.

PS. If I am reading that chart correctly it does appear to give US sellers using eBay Intl Shipping a distinct advantage fees wise compared to Canadian sellers.

We've had our own minor advantages on and off, though.  Remember all those free listings we had a couple of years ago?  And prior to EIS we had an advantage when it came to the International Fee.  And there are quite a few categories on .com where FVF are 15% rather than 12.9%, so there's that.

Message 27 of 29
latest reply

I would assume that the service,like the GSP, has been set up as a Seller Protection, with no actual advantage to the buyer.

Like tracking.

The buyer pays for tracked shipping, but it is only useful to the Seller in a false INR situation.

We've had our own minor advantages on and off, though.

Yes, and Canadian sellers can qualify for Global TRS without tracking quotas and our International Fee is lower than the US sellers fee.

Message 28 of 29
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

-----------------------------------------
Help us keep the community friendly and fun for everyone, check out the Guidelines
Message 29 of 29
latest reply