ebay STOP using Global shipping to Canada

I am super frustrated every time the seller will only use Global shipping program.  It really makes no sense to me, costs more money and wastes more time and resources shipping to 2 places instead of one.  Let's not even go into the environmental issues of doing that.  'Other' places, stores online use the same shipping services, includes duties and taxes, and there is no need to ship it to a redirection center.  It can still come direct using UPS or other type delivery.  It adds more than a week to getting an item I can usually get in 2 days. 

There is NO proper updated tracking, so I have not idea when it will actually arrive. The estimates are usually way off.  And no way to contact ANY  one in ebay to find out.  I can call UPS anytime and get an up to date of where my package is, if i feel the tracking info is not correct. The tracking information seems sometimes to be days behind.

There is no way for me to complain to anyone - except here, so ebay, I hope your listening....Please STOP using Global shipping program as a default setting.  I am no longer buying from anyone with Global shipping only.

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

marnotom!
Community Member

@danho2002 wrote:

I am no longer buying from anyone with Global shipping only.

And that's how you "stop" Global Shipping.  Don't buy from sellers who use it.

I really doubt that US sellers who use the Global Shipping Program would switch to the postal system, however.  They'd likely sooner give up shipping internationally altogether, which means if these sellers had items you were interested in, you'd have to figure out how to collect them yourself from a location in the States, or else you'd have to have them forwarded to you from a US address, just like the GSP is forwarding items from Kentucky to your location in Canada.

I also don't think the Global Shipping Program is any worse for the environment than more direct shipping.  Which is worse for the environment: Taking a direct flight from Vancouver to Calgary, or taking a flight from Vancouver to Winnipeg and then back to Calgary?  Neither, because the planes are going to fly there anyway.  You're just a passenger amongst dozens along for the ride.  Same idea with the Global Shipping Program.  Your package isn't making a solo road trip (which you might be making if you have to drive to the States to pick up your parcel).  It's on a ride with many other packages.

The GSP is a forwarding service.  Like any other shipping method, it works okay for some things, not so well for others.  Some people don't mind paying taxes, duty, and steep customs clearance and processing fees at their door to receive a UPS International Ground package, some do.  Some people don't mind paying $35 to have a $5 item sent by Xpresspost, some do.  But most people have the sense not to blame the shipping method for this problem.  The shipping method is simply being used inappropriately.

As for your tracking woes, I have no idea why you're having tracking issues with your GSP items.  Perhaps your sellers aren't uploading the tracking information to eBay properly so it doesn't mesh with Pitney Bowes' systems?  All I know is that for all three items I've purchased that were forwarded by the GSP, the tracking worked fine.  Try visiting https://parceltracking.pb.com/ to see if your "UPA" tracking number works there.

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

Th GPS uses 'hub and spoke' distribution.

As does USPS, FedEx, Canada Post, and UPS among others.

Although counter-intuitive, it is actually more efficient than direct shipping, and often faster, since small centres would either have to be charged more for several small deliveries or would have fewer large deliveries.

It can still come direct using UPS or other type delivery.

Usually I go to Wikipedia for an explanation of hub and spoke distribution, but I kinda like the illustrations in this article.

https://www.idrivelogistics.com/fedex-vs-ups-part-3-differences-between-networks/

Unlike UPS once the item crosses the border into Canada, there is no holdup in Customs, because that is handled at the GSP plant in Kentucky if your seller was clear about what is in your package and where it was manufactured.

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

EBay should have sent you an email when the purchase left the GSP plant with a tracking number.

@unison worked this out for buyers who have not yet received their GSP shipment.
TRACKING SYSTEM FOR GSP
I found this thread today while awaiting a shipment. Once I learned that Pitney Bowes was the relevant company, I was able to find my package's tracking info in about 10 seconds.

Step 1: Go to the Pitney Bowes Parcel Tracker page at https://parceltracking.pb.com/app/#/dashboard/

Step 2: Enter your eBay-supplied Global Tracking number (mine began with UPAA...)

Step 3: You will be shown limited tracking info. In my case, only up to the point the package left the USA and entered Canada.

Step 4: Click on the "Track on carrier's website" link at the top right.

Step 5: You will be provided with tracking on the page of the actual shipping company, in my case Canada Post, with a tracking number in THEIR system.

Problem solved! If only eBay would put a link to https://parceltracking.pb.com/app/#/dashboard/ in their shipping emails, this could all be avoided... 

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

Ebay won't stop it because it makes them money. We just gotta hope the sellers smarten up & stop using it but with how many sketchy sellers are on ebay they won't because they don't want to be responsible for the items they sell.
This morning I was looking for an item. There's hundreds listed but all the sellers I either don't ship to Canada or they use the GSP. I messaged one & asked if she could ship herself & she said she doesn't know how much shipping would be SMH. After page one I gave up & bought it off Amazon
Message 5 of 16
latest reply

In doing a bit of a deep dive on the dot com board when relisting, listing automatically default to ADD GSP program even if NO was assigned the previous time. Apparently extremely easy to miss and forget about. One seller stated if they are messaged, they are willing to amend to accept shipping without GSP. 

Also, have discovered that with GTC update now in effect on dot com, on the second list, it is adding Best Offer to listings automatically to the annoyance of many sellers. Farther down the discussion its noted as a glitch they are working to resolve.

-Lotz

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

Sellers who ship using GSP generally would not sell outside the USA if they weren’t enrolled so you wouldn’t be looking at the item as being available to you without it.

I have a GSP item en route due for delivery tomorrow. There have been no delays or where-is-it-issues. Check your email for updates.
Message 7 of 16
latest reply

@momcqueen 

Those were reported issues on eBay dot com. Automagically is very common on eBay.

-Lotz

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

Are you addressing me about issues? I can’t imagine the reason so you’ll have to explain yourself.
Message 9 of 16
latest reply

I too have had enough of this b***s***. As soon as I receive my last purchase, I'm shutting it down. I will no longer shop on eBay. Absolutely ridiculous! There are other sites to purchase items from. IMO, eBay prices and shipping are getting out of control anyway, you can always find it cheaper elsewhere. eBay, it's been fun however our time is up. Ba BYE.

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

Sure, if you can get something cheaper elsewhere, do so. I prefer to buy from sellers who don't use GSP, but I don't always have that option.
Message 11 of 16
latest reply

@slaneyenterprises 

Ebay won't stop it because it makes them money. ....I was looking for an item. There's hundreds listed but all the sellers I either don't ship to Canada or they use the GSP.

The GSP is a Seller Protection program.

It has little or no benefit for buyers, but you have pinpointed one of the few.

US sellers have been loathe to ship internationally.

The GSP allows them to sell worldwide, but ship domestically.

If they had to ship internationally, they would not sell internationally.

EBay makes money because those xenophobic sellers are selling more and paying more fees.

It is possible (but private information) that eBay PAYS to have the GSP available to American (and UK) sellers, rather than getting a direct cut of the ~$5 service fee*.

*Most of what you pay to PitneyBowes/ GSP is redirected to Revenue Canada as duty and sales taxes.

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

Nothing like something from California to BC  but first going to OH and KY then Ontario? That makes 0 sence to me...  USPS and CP could have delivered in 3 days but no has to take two weeks...

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

I've never had anything from the US delivered in 3 days but yes, the gsp can take longer at times.

This thread is 2 years old so the mods will probably close it now. You can start a new thread if you have any more comments. 🙂

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

You did read the part about the Global Shipping Program being a forwarding service, right?  That's how forwarding services work.

Also keep in mind that the Global Shipping Program serves about 100 different countries, and as of right now it seems to make more sense to have one central forwarding hub to serve these countries than several scattered through the United States just to serve Canada.

Message 15 of 16
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

-----------------------------------------
Help us keep the community friendly and fun for everyone, check out the Guidelines
Message 16 of 16
latest reply