scam shipping

rick_nb
Community Member

I think it is time for ebay to  force sellers to include shipping charges  in the opening bid . their are so many scammers out there, for example someone will post something worth lets say 10 dollars for 1.99 but 80 dollars shipping, yes everyone should look for that but not everyone does, so ebay either you are stupid or you get a cut of the scammers shipping .

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

scam shipping

yes everyone should look for that but not everyone does,

Grown ups take responsibility for their actions.

I stopped spoon feeding DD when she turned two.

The information is there.

And yes, eBay does take a fee of 10% of the shipping cost and has for some years. This fee is paid by the seller.

By the way, the cost of shipping has nothing to do with the value of the contents.

Shipping cost is based on weight, dimensions, distance travelled and the service chosen (Air Mail or Surface, Tracked or not, Insured and for how much or not, speed of delivery).  In some cases, the "shipping " may also include the cost of duty and sales taxes.

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

scam shipping

marnotom!
Community Member

I think the best way to force scammers to either do the right thing or to get off the site is for potential buyers to do their homework and avoid these sellers like the plague.

Don't get me wrong, I don't have a laissez-faire attitude when it comes to commerce, but I don't think we have to get Big Brother eBay involved in everything.  Buyers should educate themselves.  We all benefit from an educated pool of buyers.  Starving scammers is more effective than trying to put up roadblocks or diversions.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

scam shipping

might be worth having a quick look at: https://www.canadapost.ca/information/app/far/business/findARate?execution=e1s1

and see what Canada post charges. l’ve noticed prices typically 10% higher than advertised once they add fuel tax and GST/HST etc. ln my store l have an item that has a $150 shipping cost - that is what Canada post will charge, l did not add my time, packing materials and ebays charges, yes, Canada post shipping cost is an outrage but either buyers want the item or they don’t.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

scam shipping

Some seller have "postage not specified " in their listing.

I always message them to find out exactly what they would

charge for USPS International to Canada.  Saves a lot of problems

later.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

scam shipping

If a seller starts an auction with an opening bid of $1.99 and shipping cost  of $80,  the seller wants a final bid to total  $81.99 for item price plus shipping.

As the bidding goes up the cost of shipping will go down.

This seller wants to be in control of the amount he receives for this item

Auctions  are not a good selling option in all categories....  nothing like the days that auctions were the only seller option on eBay, when eBay first started as a selling option online.

This seller does not want to have this auction sell for $1.99 and a "correct" cost for shipping....  a shipping cost of about $20.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

scam shipping

As the bidding goes up the cost of shipping will go down.

Err...how?

Once the auction has a bid, the seller can't change it. Not even the shipping.

And getting that first bid will be difficult, if the bidders read the shipping charge.

seller does not want to have this auction sell for $1.99 and a "correct" cost for shipping.

One reason eBay instituted a 10% FVF on shipping was that too many sellers were avoiding fees by pushing all their profit into the fee-free shipping cost.

Shipping costs what it costs. The seller's best friend is Calculated Shipping where if questioned he can point to Canada Post/USPS website and show that the charge is valid. (Although he is ignoring any discounts he may get.)

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

scam shipping

If the shipping is Canada says to 'ask the seller' I use the backspace and find another seller.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

scam shipping

You're saying that ebay should force the the shipping cost to be in the cost of the item? Depending on where the final buyer is, the shipping cost is going to vary so how exactly would they determine that?

I always search with the 'list' view and have customized search so that it includes the shipping cost right on the search page so there are never any surprises.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

scam shipping

ebay charges the same % on shipping as they do on the items sold so there is nothing to be gained by a seller doing this. In the past, ebay didn't charge fees on shipping so this type of thing would happen more often, and it's because of these people that sellers now have to pay fees on shipping...which sucks
Message 10 of 11
latest reply

scam shipping

@lemieux5921 wrote:

In the past, ebay didn't charge fees on shipping so this type of thing would happen more often, and it's because of these people that sellers now have to pay fees on shipping...which sucks

In fairness, sellers that offer "free" shipping generally have the shipping price covered in the price of the item, so it works out to be the same deal.  It's really about creating a level playing field.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply