Canada Post CEO Deepak Chopra is resigning as of March 2018

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Hmmm... dare I mention, that reminds me, aren't we about due for the next Canada Post dispute?  

Remember last summer's standoff -- wasn't the whole issue put off for another year?  I certainly hope it doesn't hit in September, as that's a busy time for a lot of us. 

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

I believe it will be January 2018

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

Oh great, a reprieve of the execution.  By then the combination of CPC rate increases and two more eBay Seller Updates may have effectively put me out of operation here anyway.  LOL. 

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

Hmmm... dare I mention, that reminds me, aren't we about due for the next Canada Post dispute?  

Remember last summer's standoff -- wasn't the whole issue put off for another year?  I certainly hope it doesn't hit in September, as that's a busy time for a lot of us. 

They still have a very contentious issue with respect to carrier pay. From what my local carrier has told me it is a major sore point all of the carriers on the pay by route slave wage package. Unless Canada Post budges I would expect a long strike.

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

No, I'll stay out of this for the time being!

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

I believe it will be January 2018

Which tends to be my busy season.

Om mane padme ommmmmm.

jewel-in-lotus-shelli-todd.jpg

The Liberal government will be delighted to see the back of Chopra. Unlike other Conservative appointees he refused to offer his resignation with the change of government.

I'll be listening for any gossip about the new CEO at the British North American Philatelic Society convention in Calgary on Labour Day.

A female VP was interviewed by the Globe and Mail several months ago about a switch in emphasis from lettermail to parcel mail. I wonder if that will continue-- or become even more important.

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

Oh great, a reprieve of the execution.  By then the combination of CPC rate increases and two more eBay Seller Updates may have effectively put me out of operation here anyway.  LOL. 

January 2018 is when the contract expires. But if it's like last time it will be summer of 2018 before mail delivery gets iffy.

Chopra had another year and 10 months on his contract beyond his announced departure.  Renewing Chopra's 500k per year contract 6 months early during the last federal election campaign was not one of Harper's best decisions.

---

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

The union... CUPW....  is still focused on postal banking  and also on the pension.

The Liberal  government is working on a form of pension legislation.  Not too sure what it would mean.... But... CUPW is not happy.

However.....Pension legislation could mean that Employers, including Canada Post could walk away from a pension plan  ... perhaps redefine the complete pension plan....and proceed as the employer chooses  without any opposition.

What would happen if Canada Post was defined as a necessary service where CUPW cannot go on strike,  and the union cannot be locked out.

There would be no mail disruption..... could be a distant dream

Much of Canada Post's focus is delivering the on-line world.... much more now than ever before.... and that includes sellers on eBay

--------------------------------------

The current agreement ends January 31, 2018.

CUPW has indicated to its membership that they should be prepared for a strike.

--------------------------------------

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

They still have a very contentious issue with respect to carrier pay. From what my local carrier has told me it is a major sore point all of the carriers on the pay by route slave wage package. Unless Canada Post budges I would expect a long strike.

Let the Postal employees take shifts working in a privately funded group home and provide personal care to seniors for 12.00 to 13.00 per hour and see if they still complain about their hourly wage. 

For every Government employee there's a thousand people working in the private sector ready to take their place. Government employees are all overpaid and need a stiff dose of reality.   

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

@silverpinups wrote:

Let the Postal employees take shifts working in a privately funded group home and provide personal care to seniors for 12.00 to 13.00 per hour and see if they still complain about their hourly wage. 

For every Government employee there's a thousand people working in the private sector ready to take their place. Government employees are all overpaid and need a stiff dose of reality.   

The RSMC's are paid by route, not by an hourly wage. All overtime goes unpaid.

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

Much of Canada Post's focus is delivering the on-line world....

Do you mean delivering FOR the online world?

Because there are lots of online browsers delivering online service, Google, Sympatico, Firefox.

(I have no idea how the intertubes work. Obvs.)

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Enough politics and not what the post was about,

They know the job going in and when they accept it. If they don't like it after the fact, quit and get another job.

If I accept a job at a set wage or contact amount, I do not have the ability to just say, sorry, I want more. I have 2 choices, put up with it or leave.

Sick and tired of union whining and sniviling about everything they can think of and expecting everyone to support them.

Not going to happen

Please stick to the subject and leave union issues out of the discussion or open a new thread with your political and union views.

Message 13 of 13
latest reply