Canadian selling on eBay.com tax implications

As a Canadian selling on eBay.com, I have noticed that eBay does not collect HST when I sell to Canadian buyers. Is there a way to set this up so that eBay collects and remits Canadian taxes (HST/PST/GST) as it does for my US clients? I don't use eBay.ca because of the major lack of options for promotions (see attached image).

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

marnotom!
Community Member

The simplest way to ensure that eBay charges your Canadian buyers GST/PST/HST/QST/RST would be to properly list your items as shipping from Canada and not “Not in the, United States.”

The eBay payment system won’t consider your sales to be from a Canadian location if you’ve got your items' location set for the system to identify it as the US.

Your US buyers will still be charged applicable state and local taxes on their purchases even with your item location properly set to Canada.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

marnotom!
Community Member

The simplest way to ensure that eBay charges your Canadian buyers GST/PST/HST/QST/RST would be to properly list your items as shipping from Canada and not “Not in the, United States.”

The eBay payment system won’t consider your sales to be from a Canadian location if you’ve got your items' location set for the system to identify it as the US.

Your US buyers will still be charged applicable state and local taxes on their purchases even with your item location properly set to Canada.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

I did find other Canadian sellers who list on .com who would charge me tax when I added their item to my cart  so it seems to be something specific to your listings.   When I click on view listings under your name, the search page show me that you are in the US, not Canada.  Since eBay is not required to charge tax to Canadian buyers when the seller is in the US, that would explain the problem.

When I click on one of your listings, it shows me:

Located in: (Ottawa, Ontario, Canada) Not in the, United States

EBay is picking up the United States part which you don't need since it already states you are in Canada.  If you take that out and make sure Canada is the only thing in the country field, taxes should work properly.

edit:  Marnotom beat me to it!

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Thanks, everyone. Your responses were very helpful.

My issue was in the CSV I was using to upload my products. I fixed the issue and everything is good to go. Thanks again.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply