New Community Platform

Hi all,

Welcome to the newest version of your Community platform. I see that some of you are already posting away, and to those who may have experienced some hiccups earlier during the rollout process, thanks for your patience.

Let's use this discussion thread as a hub for constructive feedback and questions about the upgrade. Most of your day-to-day functions should remain the same, but if you can't find or feature, or want to know how to use some of the new ones, we'll help you out as best we can.

Message 1 of 146
latest reply
145 REPLIES 145

New Community Platform

What is needed is advice on how to get the dining room table back.

So far my best remedy is to have a dinner party and a tantrum.

(Tantrum first.)

Message 121 of 146
latest reply

New Community Platform

I think it best to bookend dinner parties with tantrums before and afterwards. Doesn't limit your options. As to the dining room table, I've given up all hope. One day, I will be a widow (with any luck) and living alone. Assuming that I'm living in an apartment as opposed to a cardboard box on while the lamb running from the law (see the part about being a widow) and the dining room table will be mine, all mine. 

Message 122 of 146
latest reply

New Community Platform

@zee-chan wrote:

PS. I went to check out that page momcqueen posted and had a good laugh. Though I noticed that there are less groups there than before. I don't see that honeybunszz group anymore but there are still some that looked pretty amusing. I feel right at home when I saw "I need to vent"... stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes  and that group that says "are you looking to work at home?" sounded sooooo sketchy lol. Though I guess many eBay sellers here are technically speaking working from home... laughing

I checked it out and it turns out that the weird ones are Groups! Most of them were very dead, so I didn't have to think twice about getting rid of them. I've cleaned out the "Welcome to eBay Groups" groups as well, I think someone mentioned that up the thread.

Still not sure why Honeybunszz needed its own group, and I have a feeling that Are you looking to work from home? wasn't exactly filled with legitimate information... see_no_evil

Message 123 of 146
latest reply

New Community Platform

I think I'm confused about what the Groups are supposed to be used to do. Or maybe we just don't have enough members to form Groups? I just post something as a new Discussion when I get the urge to share something not specific to a Question or issue. 

Also, I don't see the Customize your Home Page link anymore. Which is fine, I suppose, because I don't think I intended to take advantage of it anyway. 

Message 124 of 146
latest reply

New Community Platform

Mo -- hush. You'll scare the boys. 

It's okay lads, nothing to worry about.

husband-day-care-centre.jpg

Message 125 of 146
latest reply

New Community Platform

Bwahahahaha. 

Message 126 of 146
latest reply

New Community Platform

wrote:

@pocomocomputing@momcqueen:

These are weeeeird... looks like something else I should add to the Lithium slush pile. Not sure I even want to know what a honeybunzzz is.

In the 'good news' column, I've discovered how to archive threads without activity past a certain point (I knew how, but needed to double-check something first to make sure I didn't accidentally kill the entire forum), so I'll be batch-archiving any thread without activity for 3 months or more in the next little while.

@happy_pigeon

I think 3 months is too short a time period. Topics that are 3 to 6 months old are still relevant and not out of date most of the time with respect to how eBay currently works and policies. (Other than the day after eBay implements the latest Seller Update and some things change drastically overnight.)

Issues do reoccur that are relevant 3 to 6 months later. I would suggest 6 months to a year as the cutoff period. Anything over a year is most likely non-relevant and for the few that are still relevant, a new topic can be started.

Message 127 of 146
latest reply

New Community Platform

I would concur six to 12 months. Huge issues like the whole time the Shopping Cart worked nowhere but ebay.com with ebay.com listings affected sellers in Canada for years with no fluctuation so having 50 threads on that topic was counterproductive because the situation was 100 per cent unchanged for a very, very long period of time. That should have been one long thread with 500 different tags to allow everyone to find it instead of each week having a new user ask the same question we had been answering the same way for five years.

Message 128 of 146
latest reply

New Community Platform

But speaking of weird, when I went to create a discussion today, I got this list as boards from which to choose. Something doesn't seem right with it, but I didn't investigate. I'm still suffering from hunnybunzzz.

Can I really post stuff in all these places?

Message 129 of 146
latest reply

New Community Platform

Good, we can't. We're not worthy

Message 130 of 146
latest reply

New Community Platform

For the record, once again I am procrastinating packing an order that requires me to move and examine 30 boxes to find it. Like a child told to do their homework, I have instead discovered my pencil fits into all kinds of interesting places it's not supposed to be put. Like the electrical socket. Or the moderator-access-only discussion boards. 

Message 131 of 146
latest reply

New Community Platform

wrote:

But speaking of weird, when I went to create a discussion today, I got this list as boards from which to choose. Something doesn't seem right with it, but I didn't investigate. I'm still suffering from hunnybunzzz.

Can I really post stuff in all these places?

This is... interesting. I see the same ones, although as you can imagine, I should be able to. (That said, I've never posted in any of the "special" admin boards...)

I will bring this up with Lithium, as there should be a way to hide them without deleting them (which is how we dealt with honeybunszz). It might take a bit however, because we're all full-speed on launching the Canadian French version of this platform, which should happen this week if all goes well.

@pocomocomputing, I've been slowly trying to archive some stuff, starting with the Answer Centre. It is a lengthy and archaic process. I had started with a date of 6/1/2017, but I'm hearing that this might not be long enough? I guess AC threads can potentially be handled a little differently than discussion boards since arguably some may want to refer to a good AC thread if it is solved.

At any rate, once we get the French boards under our belts, I'll turn my full attention to it.

Message 132 of 146
latest reply

New Community Platform

Best of luck on the French side!

One other thing, there is some seriously bizarre stuff floating to the top of the Post pile. Like, things from 2012 or that haven't even generated a comment at all within the past three years. I get that Searches can be brining stuff up, but even just a click on that topic is enough to float it? Is that's what has happened? Any old random thing I click and read from a search is now at the top of the post pile? I'm going to have to see if that's how it works. This could be fun....

Message 133 of 146
latest reply

New Community Platform

@happy_pigeon

Would you be able to change the post edit time allowed from 5 minutes to maybe like 20 minutes? Sometimes after I post I want to add more things and fix typos and whatnot, and 5 minutes isn’t quite enough especially since I usually post with a phone/iPad.
Message 134 of 146
latest reply

New Community Platform

@happy_pigeon

Aggg! You deleted the HTML tab in the create and reply box. Why? I liked this feature. The eBay.com forums also deleted it against the advice of their members.

I was so surprised to see it in these forums and was hoping it was here to stay. I know HTML and made my own eBay listing templates for years. I liked to look at the HTML used in a post out of curiosity.

I know it is not important for most members or the day to day use of the boards. But it was nice to have.

Message 135 of 146
latest reply

New Community Platform

I do HTML with my listings too. Cuz I like to keep it simple and it’s easier to edit.
Message 136 of 146
latest reply

New Community Platform

Hi all - sorry for some of the delay in my replies; I was out of the office on Friday.

We had to make the HTML change as it posed a security risk. I'm working with Lithium to see if we can fix the core vulnerability and bring the tab back. Sorry slight_frown

Message 137 of 146
latest reply

New Community Platform

wrote:
@happy_pigeon

Would you be able to change the post edit time allowed from 5 minutes to maybe like 20 minutes? Sometimes after I post I want to add more things and fix typos and whatnot, and 5 minutes isn’t quite enough especially since I usually post with a phone/iPad.

@zee-chan For sure, I don't see why not. It's been changed to 20 minutes.

Message 138 of 146
latest reply

New Community Platform

Today tried to see whats the latest topics in the past one week weel i read a post from 2013 .Thats cool .Can someone help how to sort only the fresh news 

Message 139 of 146
latest reply

New Community Platform

It's a mystery to me the reason those threads float to the top. I can offer no rhyme nor reason for it. It seems utterly random to me as an observer asking the same question as you about it.

Message 140 of 146
latest reply