Change of country or region from eBay is GREYED OUT!

Hello Everyone!

I am having issues for changing from Canada to USA country or region. I registered the eBay account 4 years ago in Canada and now 99% of my inventories are sold to USA.

The problem with that is I always have to pay extra 0.4% international fees and the rip off exchange rate from ebay. (@1.22 on Oct 7 2021)

Now, I do have a US address, US bank account, US phone number; however, the problem is that I simply cannot change my country or region on eBay! IT IS GREYED OUT!

I contacted eBay customer service through phone and chat numerous times and they are kicking the balls around. They created tickets 5 months ago and no one contact me back. 

I do not know what to do. PLEASE HELP!

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

marnotom!
Community Member

Are you able to change your "state/province/region" to a US state?

Are you trying to make these changes on the .ca site or the .com site?  (Seems weird that if you're on .ca that eBay is asking for a ZIP code, but that's eBay for ya.)  Have you tried using the other site?

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

You have to pay that extra .4% because you are registered in Canada and the exchange rate because you are depositing money into a $C bank account.  When registering for Managed Payment some sellers were able to sign up with a $US chequing account at a Canadian bank so they wouldn't have to pay an exchange rate on $US sales.

But since you are not allowed to change currencies now, you would probably have to start a new ebay account with a $US account at a Canadian bank. That option wasn't available when sellers first went into MP but it is available now but only for accounts not already in MP. If you decide to go that route you might want to find out from other .ca sellers who use $US bank accounts if things are working well for them...I know that there were some problems initially.  You would still have to pay the .4% for international buyers but your funds would be deposited in $US.

As far as registering on the US site, my guess is that now with Managed Payments it isn't that simple just to change our country of registration.   A managed payment account in the US does give information  to the US government for tax purposes so I think in order to register in the US you would need a US SSN or an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) as well as a chequing account at a US based bank.  I believe that would be the only way of not having to pay the .4% plus the exchange rate.

Perhaps tyler@ebay would be able to find out if there are any other options?

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

If they are registered in Canada it doesn't matter which site they are listing on..they would pay the .4% for US buyers.  It isnt just a matter of changing the location form or of changing your ship from address in account details.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

If they are registered in Canada it doesn't matter which site they are listing on..they would pay the .4% for US buyers.  It isnt just a matter of changing the location form or of changing your ship from address in account details.

Okay, but at this point I'm just trying to figure out how the OP is trying to accomplish this change of registration information, as the screenshot they posted of the Business Details section presents some confusing information, namely a ZIP code field but "British Columbia" in the dropdown menu.  I'm not sure where the international fee fits into my trying to figure this out.

But if we want to get nitpicky, I don't see anything egregious about eBay's exchange rate.  I checked my credit union's website and the TD Commercial Banking site and their rates were virtually identical to eBay's.  Next to the live market quote of $1.255 I found a little while ago, which very few people are able to get, I don't think that's terrible.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

You have to pay that extra .4% because you are registered in Canada and the exchange rate because you are depositing money into a $C bank account.  When registering for Managed Payment some sellers were able to sign up with a $US chequing account at a Canadian bank so they wouldn't have to pay an exchange rate on $US sales.

But since you are not allowed to change currencies now, you would probably have to start a new ebay account with a $US account at a Canadian bank. That option wasn't available when sellers first went into MP but it is available now but only for accounts not already in MP. If you decide to go that route you might want to find out from other .ca sellers who use $US bank accounts if things are working well for them...I know that there were some problems initially.  You would still have to pay the .4% for international buyers but your funds would be deposited in $US.

As far as registering on the US site, my guess is that now with Managed Payments it isn't that simple just to change our country of registration.   A managed payment account in the US does give information  to the US government for tax purposes so I think in order to register in the US you would need a US SSN or an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) as well as a chequing account at a US based bank.  I believe that would be the only way of not having to pay the .4% plus the exchange rate.

Perhaps tyler@ebay would be able to find out if there are any other options?

Hi @pjcdn2005 - I've been looking into this and there is no longer an option to change your country of registry. Whereas, in the past, you could update your account details and then have CS adjust the back-end settings to swap over from say, .com to .ca, that is no longer possible. For precisely the reasons you mention. 

That's why you're running into trouble @ctvision-usa. If you're still interested in receiving funds in USD and are already signed up for payments in CAD, you would need to consider opening  a new eBay.ca account, and you will be able to select USD when registering that account to sell. 

Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 6 of 6
latest reply