Ebay Canada VS Ebay US

Why is EBAY Canada so behind the US website? Canada doesn't get half the store features.

I can't create/send out coupons. I can only do a mark down sale.

EBAY US has a Buyer Group Feature- no such feature exists for Canadians.

You briefly introduced newsletters, which never worked since the beginning. I have opened up maybe 3 or 4 tickets over chat/phone and received no solution to this. Everytime I tried sending a newsletter it would give me an erorr saying "oops its not you, it's us! try again later". This same error for months.

Without these marketing features, Canadian Ebayers are getting left behind. 

On top of this, I see you pushing promotional sales and suggesing 8%! Above the 14% you already take? This pretty insane.

Can you guys please look into optimizing Canadian marketing features and making it fair across the platform regardless of where we live? As a long time user, it is very disspaoinitng to see no progress for Canadians and such a seperation amongst the same platform! It's like 2 differnet companies.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Ebay Canada VS Ebay US

devon@ebay 

@thecardboard_collective 

Perhaps this could be added to the Monthly Chat ?

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Is anyone from ebay looking into this?

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

I’ll see if I can find it again later, but a week or two ago I found a webpage that had some number-crunching on it that stated that Canadian sellers make up only 1% of the total number of sellers using some version of eBay. We’re even eclipsed by Australian sellers, who make up four times that, despite Australia having a smaller population than Canada.

US, UK, and German-based sellers make up a much larger proportion of eBay sellers than those in Canada, so it stands to reason that these markets are going to be the first to see new programs or innovations.  We're unfortunately really small potatoes (made into poutine) when it comes to the eBay-verse.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Honestly, that does make a lot of sense and I appreciate your insight and response. I have been on ebay for a long time and what concerns me is these features are not very new. They have been on ebay us for years now. How hard can it be to roll out similar features across all sites? I mean sure we make up 1 percent of sales but that shouldn't mean we should not have access to valuable tools. Can't the tools be shared across all sites regardless of where you are selling from? I think that is what I am having trouble understanding. And hey I bet if we had these tools, ebay Canada would have more sales! Maybe an argument can be we are only 1 percent of the sales due to the lack of tools.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

@thecardboard_collective wrote:

Honestly, that does make a lot of sense and I appreciate your insight and response. I have been on ebay for a long time and what concerns me is these features are not very new. They have been on ebay us for years now. How hard can it be to roll out similar features across all sites? I mean sure we make up 1 percent of sales but that shouldn't mean we should not have access to valuable tools. Can't the tools be shared across all sites regardless of where you are selling from? I think that is what I am having trouble understanding. And hey I bet if we had these tools, ebay Canada would have more sales! Maybe an argument can be we are only 1 percent of the sales due to the lack of tools.

My understanding is that each eBay locale has their own servers and software, all coded at different times by different people. They can't just take code from one region and put it into another. In fact, I believe Canada actually has two distinct servers, one for French and one for English each with different code bases. This, and the language laws, probably explain the tardiness in new features coming here.

And yes, it's an absurd approach that needs to be fixed.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Thanks! The members of this community are amazing. Appreciate the responses and help. You guys seem to care more then Ebay does.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply