Ebay.ca is presently telling all potential international buyers that I will not ship to them.

I am a long time top rated seller.

I received an email from an American in North Carolina (we ship to all US addresses, including his), that my ebay auction, has a message on it that I will not ship to his address.

Upon investigation, all my Good Till Cancelled and Auction listings, only give a shipping price to Canadian addresses.   Everywhere on the planet is blank, and I assume those potential buyers are also being told I will not ship to them.

I had a similar experience with a batch of 10 auctions about a month ago.   Ebay assured me the problem would be fixed by the end of the auctions  - it wasn't.   I got much lower final auction prices as a result

I then started another batch of 10 day auctions.    This time at least one of them was affected.   I discovered the affected auction because a potential US bidder wrote to me asking if he could get me to ship to him!    He wrote to me in the last 24 hours, so I was unable to cancel the auction.   I started the auction at $9.99 and it was still at that price, even though it was a camera that should get lots of interest, and sell for about $80.   I phoned ebay, and they acknowledged the problem, but they refused to end the auction.   The item ended for just $15.50 - no doubt because ebay had sabotaged the auction by telling all potential international bidders that I would not ship to them.    Ebay did tell me this problem would be fixed within a day or two.

I then started another batch of 10 day auctions.    When I started them, they seemed to be working.    But now its even worse.    All my listings are only giving shipping rates to Canadain addresses, and as far as I can tell, all potential international bidders are being told by ebay in bold Red Letters, that I will not ship to them.

Luckily I have enough time to cancel my auctions, which I will do in the morning after talking with ebay.

Hopefully the solution will be to relist on ebay.com 

If you have auctions currently in ebay.ca, I encourage you to look and see if anyone outside of Canada is receiving a shipping rate, and/or if they are being told you will not ship to them.

Message 1 of 172
latest reply
171 REPLIES 171

Re: Ebay.ca is presently telling all potential international buyers that I will not ship to them.

Oh, good gravy. I didn't even see that. My address with that account is American, the zip code being 58271. That's not even a Canadian postal code, that's some weird British one. There's no reason whatsoever for that to have been pulled into the calculation for postage that order. 

W1B 3BR
Postal code in the City of Westminster, England

I would add a screenshot but it would appear I've reached the limit allowed. @happy_pigeon, could you help with that? I have 'reached my upload limit of 1,000 images'. Big, red error message. 

Message 21 of 172
latest reply

Re: Ebay.ca is presently telling all potential international buyers that I will not ship to them.

Well, I went back into ebay.ca and used Add to Cart and recreated the situation with that item shipping to that American address and it gives me the USA Tracked Packet cost that it should. So, either it was a wild, weird one-off error, or....? I'd screenshot it to show you but, I've used up all my image-upload privileges. 

Message 22 of 172
latest reply

Oh ho ho. So here I am trying to manually delete the 1,000 images and guess what? It wipes them off the threads where they were placed. So. That's a great big hot mess. 

Message 23 of 172
latest reply

So, my fear with this is that it's not a 'glitch' at all but some manner of 'improvement' where ebay has decided that putting shipping costs upfront on the Item Page are a distraction. And that they want buyers to put things into the Shopping Cart to calculate postage.

As far as frightening away buyers, I don't see that happening. I had overnight sales to Italy and USA, neither of which work for postage costs when you look at this item, regardless now of whether it's viewed on ebay.ca, ebay.it or ebay.com. 

Message 24 of 172
latest reply

Sorry to be late to the party on this @momcqueen!

I can recreate the issues that you, @avionsunantiques and @flyhooks4less all reported. I thought initially that it had to do with minimum/maximum sizes with calculated shipping. However all dimensions for items I checked were well within the limits.

I don't have a reason why this would be occurring. I've submitted this for review and will update you when I hear back on whether or not it's a change. For now I'm treating this as a technical issue. Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 25 of 172
latest reply

Thanks Tyler@ebay, it's definitely a technical issue, my listings have not changed.
Message 26 of 172
latest reply

Its interesting to see that my post about  Ebay's advice to me, to cancel all my ebay.ca auctions and relist on ebay.com, appears to have been removed!

Message 27 of 172
latest reply

Update.

I reported this problem to ebay on Jan 31, and I was told a ticket was opened to fix it (right before cancelling all my auctions on Jan 31).

As of today, the problem is not fixed.

I phoned ebay again today, to ask how much longer it would be before its fixed.

I was told there was a record of my ticket, but ebay had not recorded this as a site issue?

Its telling that ebay can be made aware of a major problem sabotaging auctions on ebay.ca (and Good till Cancelled listings), but not consider it a site issue!

My prior post that appears to have been removed, pointed out it affects all of the following canadapost options.

Tracked Packet USA

Tracked Packet International

Expedited mail to USA

Xpress post to USA

Air Parcel international

Xpress post international.

This is not limited to a particular size bug.

All my listings have a mail option for which they can be sent (ie they fall within the size and/or weight limits of that package).

I currently have over 500 listings on two different sites that range in size from tiny to very large.    They are all affected.

Message 28 of 172
latest reply

If they didn’t want people to know the shipping cost  until they put the item in the cart they wouldn’t be showing it on the search page.  Also, the fact that there is more than 1 issue  going makes me sure that it isn’t a planned thing.

Message 29 of 172
latest reply

Logically, yes. What you're saying does make sense. Except that ebay also took Watchers off the Item Page but still left it visible in search results. I'm not saying this is a deliberate 'improvement' on the part of ebay; I'm saying I am highly suspicious at the nature of this glitch and the timing of it. 

Message 30 of 172
latest reply

Hello avionsunantiques,

I originally reported an issue with the postage calculator not being able to calculate postage for multiple quantities of the same item to Ebay in mid December. Their "Helpdesk" had no solution whatsoever and was told they would get back to me. When I called back in January was given the reference # 1-145074229840. Not sure if there are other reference #'s for this issue. It appears anything they have done to resolve this problem has just compounded the issue. I was given 3 suggestions. First use flat rate shipping which is not a reasonable suggestion when rates vary so much from one location to another.  2nd offer free shipping. This  suggestion is impossible!! The last suggestion was Add to Cart which doesn't seem to be working for some buyers. There needs to be something in the listings that advises potential buyers THIS IS A KNOWN ISSUE. Contact your seller for rates.

CM

Message 31 of 172
latest reply

As of 4.47pst, Feb 3, 2018 this problem remains UNFIXED by ebay.

Message 32 of 172
latest reply

I have the same problem, only my international bidders can see my shipping amount, US buyers cannot see any shipping information.

Presently I am getting very few US bids, I am not happy as I paid for these auctions and a significant part of my business is cut-out.

Message 33 of 172
latest reply

My listings that i just checked, both BIN and auction, that use calculated shipping do show a cost for the USA.   This is puzzling problem.

Message 34 of 172
latest reply

I get a variety of results this morning. Still nothing for USA but with MANY of the international destinations served by Tracked Packet, for example, I see everything exactly as I should. Other places are just a mystery. Some have returned to the text that states I'll ship but haven't designated costs (not true) and some are simply blank.  I do dearly wish I'd not met my photo upload limit earlier this week and then deleted the wrong (recent) screen shots because this makes comparisons now impossible. 

Back to this for some places, should be showing Parcel Air rates at leastBack to this for some places, should be showing Parcel Air rates at leastWorking fine hereWorking fine hereLike in late 2017, some buyers will get conflicted messages. Postage shows as it should but the buyer gets a message cost is unavailableLike in late 2017, some buyers will get conflicted messages. Postage shows as it should but the buyer gets a message cost is unavailableButton, no ratesButton, no rates

Message 35 of 172
latest reply

In the latter example, I get postage costs when I Add to Cart and those costs are correct.Everything appears as it should when it's added to the Shopping CartEverything appears as it should when it's added to the Shopping Cart

Message 36 of 172
latest reply

This shipping issue is also causing ebay to block potential buyers from Buying It Now.

I just had this experience a few minutes ago with item 292238681680 

This item is on ebay with a BIN of C$99.99.

A person from the US offered me C$32.

That low ball offer, just happened to offend me, so I declined it.   I then got a couple more, which I also declined.

Then the buyer gave me a full price offer of $99.99.    I was responding on my phone, so I assumed their was some additional condition (like free shipping or something), which explained why they had made an offer of the full price, instead of just Buying it with the BIN.   So I declined.

Then they sent me another offer of the full price, which I again declined.

After which they wrote to me saying that ebay would not allow them to Buy It Now because of the shipping!    Which I assume to be the same shipping problem which got this thread started.

So this is not just about a glitch in the shipping part of ebay.    This goes to the very heart of why we are on ebay in the first place - so sell items.   Ebay is blocking international buyers from buying at the asking price!   Now if that isn't a site issue, I don't know what is.

Avionsunantiques (aka westcoastart2)

Message 37 of 172
latest reply

Ask then to Add to Cart instead.

Message 38 of 172
latest reply

This is beyond a problem. It is a roadblock with more and more issues accumulating. Can anyone find out if what exactly what is happening with this and when it will be resolved or even if they have a temporary fix?
Message 39 of 172
latest reply

I don't think it's affecting my sales performance as I'm not running auctions, only Buy It Nows, and a buyer can still see shipping cost once the item in question added to the Shopping Cart. I'm still getting the same amount of sales to the USA and international as I would otherwise expect.

But, clearly, it needs to be fixed. I wonder what on earth the ebay tech team was trying to do when this was caused instead. Calculated shipping has been a thing of beauty for me for years, completely reliable, until this came along. 

Message 40 of 172
latest reply