WARNING: You can’t get $ back for Canada Post insurance claims on labels purchased through eBay

I sold an item, printed a Canada Post label through eBay, the item arrived damaged. I filed a claim with Canada Post and they approved it. The money was credited back to the account that purchase the label…turns out, that was eBay. So eBay got the refund. After contacting customer service over 20 separate times (phone, email, chat) and Canada Post 4 times the answer was…sorry, there is no way for you to get the money into your eBay account or credit card. Canada Post said they can’t refund me because technically eBay purchased the label and resold it to me. eBay, well, they have no idea what to do…so why would I bother buying labels through eBay and paying for insurance??? Yes, there is a slight discount (usually 5%) and it’s easier and more convenient, but if nothing is actually insured, I don’t think it’s worth it. Has anyone else had this scenario play out? I’ve already invested around 6 hours dealing with this and I’m just left shaking my head as usual.
Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Re: WARNING: You can’t get $ back for Canada Post insurance claims on labels purchased through eBay

Yes, several people have had this problem.   Ebay should credit your account with the refunded postage but don't.

If I am mailing small package which has no insurance I purchase it from ebay labels.  If I am sending tracked packet or expedited then I purchase it through Canada Post Snap Ship.  The discount is the same using your Canada Post SFSB.

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

Re: WARNING: You can’t get $ back for Canada Post insurance claims on labels purchased through eBay

I had similar thing happen with a label I purchased through eBay labels. I had opened a ticket with Canada Post and got the letter "Despite an extensive search, we have been unable to locate your item. In the meantime we will be reimbursing you for amount and through method indicated". It showed "Refund Method Credit to Account". I was not sure how it would work and eBay told me the credit would be in my account when it was issued. The CP letter said it took 10 business days and I thought it would come from my processed payments somewhere along the way. So I waited and watched and then lo and behold I actually got a cheque in the mail from Canada Post!! I think it took about 10 days to arrive but cheque was dated the day after my notification letter (send by email) from them. They reimbursed the postage amount only (not the item value) but I didn't pay extra for insurance. I was happy to get anything at that point! Good luck!

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

@msau4301 wrote:

I had similar thing happen with a label I purchased through eBay labels. I had opened a ticket with Canada Post and got the letter "Despite an extensive search, we have been unable to locate your item. In the meantime we will be reimbursing you for amount and through method indicated". It showed "Refund Method Credit to Account". I was not sure how it would work and eBay told me the credit would be in my account when it was issued. The CP letter said it took 10 business days and I thought it would come from my processed payments somewhere along the way. So I waited and watched and then lo and behold I actually got a cheque in the mail from Canada Post!! I think it took about 10 days to arrive but cheque was dated the day after my notification letter (send by email) from them. They reimbursed the postage amount only (not the item value) but I didn't pay extra for insurance. I was happy to get anything at that point! Good luck!

@klank85 

This is from a quick search. 

Does Canada Post compensate for lost packages?

When no coverage was included or purchased and Canada Post is liable for the loss or for the damage, the postage fee will be refunded. The value of the Item must be declared on the shipping documentation. All indemnity payments will be made to the sender of the Item.Jan 11, 2021

List of non insurable contents:

More: Limit of liability
12 to 12.1.8

-Lotz

PS. As a sidenote eBay label help only covers printing and void issues. Nothing noted in regards to claims.

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

tyler@ebay 

Want to join this discussion?

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

I just wanted to add that although the cases are different (you have item damaged in transit and mine was for lost package), I had used eBay labels as well and although the Canada Post letter to me said "Refund Method Credit to account", they (Canada Post) actually sent me a cheque for the postage in the mail. 

This was in September of last year, not sure what may or may not have changed since then (or if I was just lucky!)

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

How was your package sent? If it was sent with a service that has tracking it should have had some automatic insurance. It that was the case, it's odd that you were compensated only for the postage.

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

It was sent with Tracked Package International (to Italy). I know I had opened a ticket for Tracked Package USA before (not with eBay labels, this was a while before that) and Canada Post would not re-imburse me based solely on item showing non-delivery, they said they had to confirm with receipient that it was never actually received before they would close the case. They had left him messages and he did not respond to them (I tried also). I assumed it was the same sort of thing, in both cases the shipping was about the same cost as the item (not expensive items). I was so glad they were refunding me anything...I didn't pursue it any further!

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

Thanks for the tag @femmefan1946!

Hi @klank85 - and insurance claim paid out by Canada Post back to us should be credited to you, that money is not forfeit. It is a manual process that some teammates may be unfamiliar with. I've gotten your information to the proper shipping team to review and resolve. 

I will also have your contacts to CS reviewed so that appropriate coaching can be given. 

Thanks! 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 9 of 17
latest reply

Thank you for the response Tyler. To be completely honest, "I'll believe it when I see it" (and no, I haven't received any update or payment yet through eBay)...but I'm slightly hopeful that I will actually get the money for this claim at some point. More importantly, should I really keep buying labels with insurance through eBay? Won't I end up in this same situation every time that I have a claim that I need to process? Luckily it doesn't happen very often, but I just wonder why I would put myself in this situation again. I have honestly wasted hours of my time dealing with this, so far with no results to show for it. I'm genuinely perplexed as to how this process is supposed to play out and how any seller is ever going to get their Canada Post insurance compensation from eBay when it is nearly impossible to navigate. I know most people would have cut their losses ages ago and not bothered to follow through with this painful process. I'm doing it as a matter of principle now and because I want to know what to do different in the future to avoid this headache.

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

Still nothing…
Message 11 of 17
latest reply

lud-4367
Community Member

In my case, I've got my refund for the parcel that stopped updating the tracking information. Of course the label was purchased from ebay and it was about 6 moths ago.

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

Hi tyler@ebay

Can you give me an update or some idea of when I should expect to have this resolved? You sent a message 2 weeks ago saying that you'd gotten my info to the correct place, but I have yet to hear from them. This is yet again an example of how ridiculous this whole situation has been...the one time I actually need to claim for insurance and this is how it goes, what a joke! There needs to be another tier of support for sellers to access when things aren't happening through the normal channels. I have wasted hours of my time talking to people who have no idea what's going on and offer no solutions or just make up solutions that are not attached to reality. How can a company as big as eBay have such pathetic customer service for their sellers? We are the ones paying the fees and making eBay money; we should be given proper customer service like any other tech company out there. There's just no excuse for this...if you are going to offer a service (in this case insured postage labels) then figure out how people can actually use the service you're offering...seems pretty logical if you ask me. Your post on here made me think that maybe, just maybe, someone actually knew what was going on and could offer a solution, but 2 weeks later I'm right back to where I started! I'd really appreciate a response tyler@ebay

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

still waiting .... tyler@ebay 

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

Message 15 of 17
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable
I use my account with Canada post. I Refuse to let anyone handle my labels just for this reason.
Btw my stomach turned when I read this thread.
Message 16 of 17
latest reply

Thanks for your support…can’t say the same for eBay!
Message 17 of 17
latest reply