Tyler

Tyler,
eBay
Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Re: April 10th 2019 Weekly Session

Thanks Tyler.

I have a question....lately I've noticed that during browsing of items the price under the pics is totally false. Especially for Asian listings. When you click on an item the second you click on color oR size the price more than doubles. I find this not only frustrating but a total waste of my time and in any other context it would be false advertising. Does this 'policy' conform to the sellers rules as set down by ebay?

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

Re Coupon offer 

would be nice if it worked.

Welcome! Here’s C $35.00 Off.**See Details
Tap to copy coupon:
C $35.00 off your purchase. Applies to entire order.Expires 30/06/19 23:59 EDT.*See Details
details link goes to  SHIPPING SUPPLIES

would be nice if.......

big promo $35 off buy something.

WOULD BE NICE if the coupon (code) actually worked.

hard to find item and rather than lose it, DUE to coupon not working

paid full for it .

EBAY if your going to PROMO something MAKE IT WORK

not real happy.

so tyler  what do....

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

With the blocked buyer policy:

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/selling-policies/unwelcome-malicious-buying-policy?id=4375

• You can't use another account to buy or bid on an item if you're on a seller's blocked bidder or buyer list

Just to recap, about two weeks ago I blocked a buyer who made an offer to my listing. I reviewed the buyer's feedback left to others history, and found that they have left quite a few negatives and neutral over small issues. I decided that this buyer can potentially be difficult to deal with, and I'd rather not have the sale than to deal with potential trouble. So I blocked the buyer and declined their offer. They sent me a message after a day asking why they couldn't buy at listed price. I took other community member's advice to not respond to the message.

Today, a "different" buyer who had the same city and zip code, and their account was created on the same year as the blocked buyer, has purchased the book from me. I reviewed their feedback left to others history and am pretty certain that it's the same buyer as the one I previously blocked. 

As per policy above, it's against eBay's rule to use another account to buy from a seller when you're already on their blocked buyer list. I have no desire to sell to this particular buyer. I would like to send this buyer a full refund and cancel the order. Would it be appropriate to cancel the order with "problem with address" option?

If this buyer decided to "revenge" and leave me a negative feedback and trash my DSR, will eBay be able to remove it? What does eBay has in place to protect sellers from blocked buyers? 

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

lisi36v
Community Member

I bought an item on eBay UK because it is the only seller I've seen that sells the item I want, which has 2 push-buttons on it. I live in Canada, and they told me that they only ship within the UK, so I put my friend's address as the shipping address, as my friend lives in mainland England (I got my friend's permission to do this first). So they send it to my friend, and my friend sends it to me in Canada, where I see that they sent me NOT what I had ordered, but a similar-looking item that has only 1 button instead of 2-buttons on it, that they have a seperate listing for. I click through eBay's options, and I select "sent wrong item". Seller agrees to let me mail the item back to them, and I get one of those postage labels I can print off my computer, which is useless since I don't live in the UK and can't use a UK shipper, so I just pay for the shipping out of my own pocket. I send a message reminding them that I don't want my money refunded (despite eBay's form letter saying that I want a refund), I just want them to send me the item I originally had ordered. I get a message back, saying,

"I have passed this onto my returns department, 

Kind Regards"

Some days later, I get a message saying that I've been given the refund! I login to my PayPal account, and I see that the money is there as a refund today. Arrrgghh! I send them a message saying that I want them to send me what I originally had ordered, and quoted his sentence where he said he would pass along my request to his returns department, and asked if his returns department never got the message. Then I get a message from the company:

"We have refunded as we do not have the item you require, 

Kind Regards"

I think this may be a lie, because I visited the page for the item I want, and it's still up there, and it says "6 available, 5 sold". I was hoping they'd write something like, "Oops, I forgot to inform my returns department. Send us the same amount we refunded you, and we'll mail it to your friend who lives in the UK, since we only ship within the mainland UK". But nope, they just want to refund my money and not give me what I want. This company is the only one that is selling the item I want. I'm willing to pay for the extra shipping, if that's what it will take to get the item I originally ordered, which I think is only about 2 GBP/Pounds Sterling (or whatever they call money over there), since my friend lives just a short train ride from London. It's not like shipping something from Halifax to Vancouver; that would be pretty expensive (and a long wait!). Shipping within mainland Britain is fast and cheap, compared to Canada. 

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

are USA buyers receiving any notice of the potential sales tax to their state prior, to sending offers or buying it now options are used. or are they finding out after the purchase has been made..??

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

@wetaskiwin50 wrote:

Thanks Tyler.

I have a question....lately I've noticed that during browsing of items the price under the pics is totally false. Especially for Asian listings. When you click on an item the second you click on color oR size the price more than doubles. I find this not only frustrating but a total waste of my time and in any other context it would be false advertising. Does this 'policy' conform to the sellers rules as set down by ebay?

Hi @wetaskiwin50 - do you mean listings are showing a completely different price than what is seen in the View Item Page, or is it a listing that is offering some 'choice' in the listing that is very low priced and everything else is higher?

If it is the second, that isn't a technical issue, but is a policy violation (the member is manipulating the search algorithm to game the system). You can report these listings for review by using the 'report item' link and following the path: Listing Practices>Search and Browse manipulation>Other search and browse manipulation. 

Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 8 of 17
latest reply

@in-need-of-cash-too wrote:

Re Coupon offer 

would be nice if it worked.

Welcome! Here’s C $35.00 Off.**See Details
Tap to copy coupon:

C $35.00 off your purchase. Applies to entire order.Expires 30/06/19 23:59 EDT.*See Details
details link goes to  SHIPPING SUPPLIES

would be nice if.......

big promo $35 off buy something.

WOULD BE NICE if the coupon (code) actually worked.

hard to find item and rather than lose it, DUE to coupon not working

paid full for it .

EBAY if your going to PROMO something MAKE IT WORK

not real happy.

so tyler  what do....

Hi @in-need-of-cash-too - it looks like you're referencing the eBay Shipping Supplies coupon you get with your store subscription each quarter. This can only be used on eBay branded shipping supplies, from the store listed in the Terms and Conditions. 

If you're getting a particular error when trying to redeem it please consider contacting CS or sending me a private message with more details so we can have a closer look. Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 9 of 17
latest reply

@zee-chan wrote:

With the blocked buyer policy:

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/selling-policies/unwelcome-malicious-buying-policy?id=4375

• You can't use another account to buy or bid on an item if you're on a seller's blocked bidder or buyer list

Just to recap, about two weeks ago I blocked a buyer who made an offer to my listing. I reviewed the buyer's feedback left to others history, and found that they have left quite a few negatives and neutral over small issues. I decided that this buyer can potentially be difficult to deal with, and I'd rather not have the sale than to deal with potential trouble. So I blocked the buyer and declined their offer. They sent me a message after a day asking why they couldn't buy at listed price. I took other community member's advice to not respond to the message.

Today, a "different" buyer who had the same city and zip code, and their account was created on the same year as the blocked buyer, has purchased the book from me. I reviewed their feedback left to others history and am pretty certain that it's the same buyer as the one I previously blocked. 

As per policy above, it's against eBay's rule to use another account to buy from a seller when you're already on their blocked buyer list. I have no desire to sell to this particular buyer. I would like to send this buyer a full refund and cancel the order. Would it be appropriate to cancel the order with "problem with address" option?

If this buyer decided to "revenge" and leave me a negative feedback and trash my DSR, will eBay be able to remove it? What does eBay has in place to protect sellers from blocked buyers? 

Hi @zee-chan - I replied to your tag on this just a moment or two ago, but to recap:

Circumventing your blocked bidder list is something that is not allowed, and we'd want you to contact CS so they can review and report as appropriate. Please do not cancel the sale until you've worked with them. Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 10 of 17
latest reply

@lisi36v wrote:

I bought an item on eBay UK because it is the only seller I've seen that sells the item I want, which has 2 push-buttons on it. I live in Canada, and they told me that they only ship within the UK, so I put my friend's address as the shipping address, as my friend lives in mainland England (I got my friend's permission to do this first). So they send it to my friend, and my friend sends it to me in Canada, where I see that they sent me NOT what I had ordered, but a similar-looking item that has only 1 button instead of 2-buttons on it, that they have a seperate listing for. I click through eBay's options, and I select "sent wrong item". Seller agrees to let me mail the item back to them, and I get one of those postage labels I can print off my computer, which is useless since I don't live in the UK and can't use a UK shipper, so I just pay for the shipping out of my own pocket. I send a message reminding them that I don't want my money refunded (despite eBay's form letter saying that I want a refund), I just want them to send me the item I originally had ordered. I get a message back, saying,

"I have passed this onto my returns department, 

Kind Regards"

Some days later, I get a message saying that I've been given the refund! I login to my PayPal account, and I see that the money is there as a refund today. Arrrgghh! I send them a message saying that I want them to send me what I originally had ordered, and quoted his sentence where he said he would pass along my request to his returns department, and asked if his returns department never got the message. Then I get a message from the company:

"We have refunded as we do not have the item you require, 

Kind Regards"

I think this may be a lie, because I visited the page for the item I want, and it's still up there, and it says "6 available, 5 sold". I was hoping they'd write something like, "Oops, I forgot to inform my returns department. Send us the same amount we refunded you, and we'll mail it to your friend who lives in the UK, since we only ship within the mainland UK". But nope, they just want to refund my money and not give me what I want. This company is the only one that is selling the item I want. I'm willing to pay for the extra shipping, if that's what it will take to get the item I originally ordered, which I think is only about 2 GBP/Pounds Sterling (or whatever they call money over there), since my friend lives just a short train ride from London. It's not like shipping something from Halifax to Vancouver; that would be pretty expensive (and a long wait!). Shipping within mainland Britain is fast and cheap, compared to Canada. 

Hi @lisi36v - that's a frustrating experience, to be sure! I'm glad they were willing to work with you on a return, even if it wasn't the exact resolution that you were looking for. 

It sounds as though this member handled everything appropriately according to our policies. Yes, it seems like they have an opportunity to communicate a bit better, but overall I don't see any policy violations in what has happened. 

Typically, I wouldn't suggest purchasing and sending your item to another location to have it reshipped to you, as that could potentially void your protection through the Money Back Guarantee. 

However - if this is the only place to get the item you're looking for, I can see why you'd consider it. Have you thought about asking if they'd consider using the eBay Global Shipping Programme for this item? If it qualifies for it, they'd be able to ship within the UK and you'd be protected in a situation where the incorrect item arrives. Not a perfect solution to this purchase, but one for the future. I've found most members are quite flexible if you approach them before you make the purchase as opposed to after. Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 11 of 17
latest reply

Thanks for your response Tyler. Actually both scenarios you presented are true.  I will be reporting future listings I find.  Normally I  live and let live but the number of listings with false pricing is getting larger every day and it has to stop.

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

@esclyons wrote:

are USA buyers receiving any notice of the potential sales tax to their state prior, to sending offers or buying it now options are used. or are they finding out after the purchase has been made..??

Hi @esclyons - tax charged is listed on the item form itself (shipping and payments tab), and broken out in the checkout flow as well. Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 13 of 17
latest reply

@wetaskiwin50 wrote:

Thanks for your response Tyler. Actually both scenarios you presented are true.  I will be reporting future listings I find.  Normally I  live and let live but the number of listings with false pricing is getting larger every day and it has to stop.

Iiiinteresting.... @wetaskiwin50 - would you mind getting me a private message with an item number example of the first scenario (item lists 1 price in search results, but a completely different price on the view item page, with no choice offered)? That sounds really unusual.

Tyler,
eBay
Message 15 of 17
latest reply

Will do. 

Message 16 of 17
latest reply

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Thanks for joining this week everyone - the chat is closed but I'll be around if you need my input on anything. 🙂

Tyler,
eBay
Message 17 of 17
latest reply