Canadian user, USA account- cannot add bank account

Hey everyone.

So I sold my first eBay item in several years the other day, & I did not realize that PayPal is no longer working with eBay.

I tried adding my Canadian banking info to get a payout, but it keeps getting rejected with the error message "we cannot verify that account"

I called eBay about a dozen times yesterday, & the first 6 or 7 reps insisted that my bank account was being rejected because it was "insecure" (its TD, one of the oldest banks in Canada).

These first several reps told me that my only solution was to add a different card, so I opened a 2nd bank account & it still rejects my info.

I ended up removing my first card from my file, to see if it was interfering with the new card. It did not work.

The 8th or 9th rep figured out that I have an American account using Canadian banks, and THAT is the real reason my accounts were being rejected.

So, I ended up opening a USD chequing account with my original bank card, and tried re-adding it.

Now, eBay ALSO rejects the card I originally had on file, despite the fact that it now has a USD chequing account available.

I cannot re-add the card, despite having used it successfully in the past.

Now, I have 3 bank accounts- 2 Canadian & one American, and none of them will work.

I am sweating pretty hard, because I have an item that needs to be shipped out by next Friday.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

I made sure my name & address match everytime.
Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Don't go to the phone reps, they are undertrained subcontractors and often unclear on concepts like "Canada".

Go to the social media accounts run by actual employees.

https://www.facebook.com/eBayForBusiness/ — Message button in upper right on landing page.
https://twitter.com/askebay?lang=en

And explain that you have a US account but actually have always been in Canada.

However.

To register to Managed Payments you need a checking account in a bank in the country of registration.

While that can be in USD or in loonies, keep currency exchange in mind.

If your "American" bank account is with an American bank, you will also need an ITIN number to pay US taxes.

Or.

You can abandon this account for selling (including the feedback, sigh.) and open a new dotCA account and set up Managed Payments on that.

Using one of your Canadian checking accounts with a Canadian bank.
There have been problems reported with the "micro-payments" method of identification, and most Canadians do not want to use their SIN, but I used my passport and DH used his driving license without problems.

Managed Payments does seem to be more difficult to set up and it's my hope that this means it is more secure against hijacking than PP was. PP was very good, but abandoned accounts were all too often hijacked and payments deflected to different PP accounts. Perhaps MP will be too hard to set up for the hackers to bother.

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

Thanks so much for your reply! It turns out, that my USD chequing account with TD bank is indeed valid. It was just so new, that it took a couple of business days before it could be recognized by the eBay system. So, good news to anyone who might be having the same problem- if you are a Canadian with an American eBay account, one solution is to get a USD chequing account with Toronto Dominion.

By the way- I followed the link, to contact eBay business on FB Messenger, and they simply redirected me to their phone line for customer service. So, in the end, I still ended up talking to a phone rep. But, at least I was able to get my banking information added 🙂

Cheers from Québec, Canada!
Message 3 of 14
latest reply

mailme
Community Member

I am having the same problem.   Ebay has rejected my Royal Bank account.  They told me to open another account so I did, a U.S. currency accoutn with TD.  Still being rejected.  The rep, who told me he was as far as I could go in this matter, told me to open up another account. I don't want to keep opeing accounts. I guess I am out of the $186 U.S. sitting in my Ebay account.   I thought Ebay was a big respectable company.   Who knew?

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

@mailme, I think you're having this problem because you registered your account on eBay.com way back in 1998 before there was an eBay.ca.  Your eBay information is still being stored on eBay.com so you're being directed to sign up for Managed Payments on eBay.com.  The trouble with that is that eBay.com does not recognize Canadian bank accounts.

This recent thread on Tangerine got a bit off-topic, but I think you'll find the information in the second half of it useful:

https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Payments/BEWARE-Tangerine-no-longer-accepted/td-p/483543/

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

It might be the same problem but not necesarily.

A couple of questions..Where are you trying to sign up for Managed Payments? On .ca or .com?  Are you trying to sign up on .ca and then getting 'kicked' to .com?

When setting up Managed Payments were you asked whether you wanted whether you want $C or $US payouts? 

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

I’m also wondering if @briona-ranfagni had to make further adjustments as her recent auctions were listed on the Canadian site, which means they would have been conducted in Canadian dollars, not US dollars.
Message 7 of 14
latest reply

I just opened the TD website, opened a US chequeing account, and used that account. The trick (I spent the last couple of hours figuring out) is that ebaydotcom will ask you for a routing number, which we technically do not use in Canada. But you can make a routing number from your account information!!

if YYYYY is your trasit number (say 88888 for example) and xxx is your institution number (say 444 for example), then your routing number will be 0xxxYYYYY, or 044488888. You will need to add a zero in front of the institution number for it to work.

Hope this helps someone!

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

Trying hard to make it work with a TD USD account and it just rejects this method. Every time I try the "routing" + account number combination I get the "something went wrong" message. How did you make it work??

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

@*yourbestbet*, is your TD US dollar chequing account based in Canada or is it with one of TD’s US-based banks? The account has to be on Canadian soil to work for a Canadian seller.
Message 10 of 14
latest reply

Sorry, just saw you posted about this earlier and elsewhere.
Message 11 of 14
latest reply

I have a TD account that once worked for payouts that doesnt work anymore, never changed anything, i think its a glitch on ebay side for payouts, keep getting payouts failed!

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

@kh-leslie 

ZOMBIE THREAD FROM 2022

@infolica- you need to start your own thread to address your own issues as often an old thread is no longer relevant and/or does not necessarily bring the needed results to a current problem.

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

-----------------------------------------
Help us keep the community friendly and fun for everyone, check out the Guidelines
Message 14 of 14
latest reply