2 Different IDs with the same address. What could go right?

lud-4367
Community Member

Hi, 

An item was sold today, and I searched the buyer's ID and address into my email inbox which I always do to avoid the scammers in the past. Then I've found more than a year old purchase with the same address. The address and the last name of the person's names are the same as the buyer's from today, but the ID is different. He didn't scam me in the past. The ID from the past purchase is a long time member and more active based on its feedback. He's a very active buyer. The buyer from today is newer and has much less feedback. 

I've never had this kind of situation, so I sent the message to the buyer saying, "you have purchased an item long time ago, but the ID and the first name are different. I wonder what's going on?" The buyer replied to me after 6 hours, "That's another person in the same address." I was expecting to hear, it's either brother, or dad, or grandpa since they both have male names, but he said, "another person". I just don't know what to do. It's not easy to send the item to this buyer. Also I'm tired of being ripped off during this pandemic delays. 

Could anyone see anything positive or reasonable in this situation? 

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
Most scammers wouldnt answer you in my experience.. paranoia runs deep with sellers on ebay I suffered from it too. Now I suck it up just do it. I have a stealth account to buy from it's bad bussiness to show my source of product if I find a deal and my wife has a an account. Dont worry about it you cant control the outcome.
Message 2 of 14
latest reply

Now I live in the much safer and happier stamp world, but I've mailed stuff to:

Same person with several different IDs to the same address
Different ids to the same address and/or different addresses
(in my world it seems to be common for sons, daughters to be buying items for parents and or getting them Xmas presents sent directly to them)
Different names to the same address (sometimes same ID sometimes different ID)

There's no way to know what's happening on the other end, as mentioned earlier and in other threads all the tales of woe we read here really seem to have us believing every buyer is a criminal which, at least for me is very very rarely the case.

As a note you didn't have a problem to this address before, why worry now? (PS it could be his husband, we live in a much different world now!!)

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

I've purchased from ebay under different accounts and I've never scammed anyone. There are many other reasons why two accounts may have the same address. Also, I don't see why a scammer would create a separate account to scam you. If they want to scam you they can do that just fine under their main account. In fact, it's probably better to scam someone under one's main account because a good account standing arouses less suspicion, so that if the scammer claims to have not received an item, they're more likely to be believed.

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

@lud-4367 wrote:

Could anyone see anything positive or reasonable in this situation? 

I see NOTHING positive or reasonable in how you are handling this situation.

Buyer pays, you ship, that's how it works.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 5 of 14
latest reply

If you are gonna just judge me, why did you even bother to leave a reply that doesn't help at all? Don't be a Karen, Karen. 

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

Well, I've experienced 2 or 3 scammers that was quiet responding in the past. Some person was even very friendly. "Oh, I'll leave a good feedback for you." Then, later claimed Item not received.

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

I have seven accounts (most of which are selling only, a couple dormant) all using the same street address and the same Paypal account.

It's really nobody else's business why.

Rather than "researching" why not just Block members whose transactions with you have failed for whatever reason?

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

I search the  buyer's ID too while assembling an item for packaging.

That way I know whether to place an ordinary thank you note or a "welcome back" note.

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@lud-4367 

RE:  Well, I've experienced 2 or 3 scammers that was quiet responding in the past. Some person was even very friendly. "Oh, I'll leave a good feedback for you." Then, later claimed Item not received.

Because someone didn't receive an item does not make them a scammer!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-------Shrinkage is part of business whether its brick and mortar or ecommerce ------

--------If you have no control of the outcome then don't worry about it--------

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

I don't see any reason as to why you wouldn't ship the package.  I don't see using a different ID as an indication of a scam. 

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable
@pjcdn2005
re: I don't see any reason as to why you wouldn't ship the package. I don't see using a different ID as an indication of a scam.

I'm not seeing any reasoning to this entire question at this point.

Its a contract a customer buys the item like said already you ship it!
No discussion will validate his thinking.

If there's a problem with the address he can cancel the order.

Personally all we are doing is fueling unneeded negativity im not adding any more fuel..

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

I have a few selling accounts for selling different types of things. All started as buying accounts with my name and address in order to build up a bit of feedback before selling on them. There is nothing unusual with this situation.

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

I would ship and let the chips fall where they may.

You've already done damage by contacting this person and asking. That shows a minimum of distrust. This person may not buy from you again nor recommend his/her friends to your account.

Consider this a lesson learned.

And before you respond, I am not being cruel. I am being factual and many of us are trying to get you to see what we see. There's always room for any of us to improve the way we handle our customers or deal with situations. 16 years in retail and I'm still trying to better myself.

Message 14 of 14
latest reply