A seller is selling copies of their CD's, I don't think that is allowed.

I was doing a search of CD's, Time Life to be specific and I came across a seller who selling 35 Time Life CD's but isn't selling the original's which they are keeping but will be making copies for you and if you want them also on a USB stick to let them know.  I don't think that ebay allows that.  To me that is a total no no.   

For those buyers who don't read, I feel sorry for the poor buyer who thinks they are getting the real CD's and not copies.  There are six watchers.  

Message 1 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Do they actually say what they are doing?

Do they actually put this in each listing?

Some sellers will do this.  They show the original CD in the photo but ....send   a copy of everything including the printed information that comes with the original CD.

Are not the newer CD's protected in a manner that this cannot happen?

Or does this seller have "permission" to do so?...... Not so .....most likely

Copyright violation

Message 2 of 24
latest reply

@musicyouneed wrote:

I was doing a search of CD's, Time Life to be specific and I came across a seller who selling 35 Time Life CD's but isn't selling the original's which they are keeping but will be making copies for you and if you want them also on a USB stick to let them know.  I don't think that ebay allows that.  To me that is a total no no.   

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/policies/replica-counterfeit.html

Message 3 of 24
latest reply

@cumos55 wrote:
... Are not the newer CD's protected in a manner that this cannot happen?

Music CD's do not have protection available that can prevent counterfeiting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Compact_Disc_and_DVD_copy_protection_schemes

Message 4 of 24
latest reply

From what I understand, when you purchase a CD, you are allowed to own a copy of that CD for your own personal use. This is what allows us to rip our CDs to our computers and put them on our MP3 players to listen to at our leisure. You are NOT allowed to distribute that copy, or worse yet, sell it for a profit.

Message 5 of 24
latest reply

You cannot sell copies of music CDS or DVDs. That's piracy and not the sexy Johnny Depp kind. 

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/winnipeg-businessman-fined-550k-for-music-piracy-1.2470815

Screen Shot 2017-04-02 at 1.07.04 PM.png

Message 6 of 24
latest reply

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/policies/replica-counterfeit.html

Yes I saw that, but why is the listing still up.  They state in the listing that it is not for the "original" CD collection though.  You will not get the original artwork either.  

Message 7 of 24
latest reply

If you feel strongly about this, I would have to suggest you call ebay Customer Service and lodge an official report. 

Message 8 of 24
latest reply

The seller also has a listing for an iPod, where they are allowing the buyer to choose music from the seller's personal collection to load onto the iPod prior to shipping, which is another form of piracy.

I have reported both listings through the link on each, and I hope others do the same.
Message 9 of 24
latest reply

When I checked her sold list, it looks like they have sold 5 copies of the same thing.  One sells and she just relists.  At $90 US they are making a mint. 5 x $90 = $450.  

Message 10 of 24
latest reply

You could report the listings directly to Time Life.

They have contact information on their website and also have a facebook page.

Message 11 of 24
latest reply

mcrlmn
Community Member

" I don't think that ebay allows that"

Nobody allows that.
It's copyright infringement, not 'Fair Use'.
It doesn't matter if music CDs are encrypted or not... Yes, a very small percentage are. The first was released in 2001.
Decryption drivers or software for audio CDs, and DVD and BluRay video are easily available.
You'd be doing any possible victims a favour and TimeLife may even reward you with a free CD set for the heads up.
http://timelife.ca/pages/terms-of-use

Message 12 of 24
latest reply

I have reported it.  I am just surprised that the 5 that they did sell, the buyers haven't given her/him grief.  

This is one seller that I believe should not be allowed to sell on ebay.  Her feedback is already at 75%.

Message 13 of 24
latest reply

Well I can see she is still selling her illegal copies of CD's and nothing has happened.  I wonder how long it will take for ebay to take it down.  Meanwhile some poor seller who has one lousy duplicate listing and they are raked over the coals.  

Message 14 of 24
latest reply

Did you CALL eBay like I suggested?

Or did you submit an online report?
Message 15 of 24
latest reply

I submitted an online report.  When I looked at the reasons for calling they wanted you to submit an online report, not call.  I tried a few times, unless I put down a different reason for calling.  I would have called if I could.  I also reported them to time life.  I think a few of us have reported them. 

Message 16 of 24
latest reply

The online reports do nothing. If you want action for any reason, you have to call. I'm speaking from 11 years of experience here as a buyer and seller.
Message 17 of 24
latest reply

@musicyouneed wrote:

I submitted an online report.  When I looked at the reasons for calling they wanted you to submit an online report, not call.  I tried a few times, unless I put down a different reason for calling.  I would have called if I could.  I also reported them to time life.  I think a few of us have reported them. 

If you really want to help Readers Digest (They own Time-Life music through their holding company Trusted Media Brands) you can contact them and they can issue a DMCA takedown order.

Otherwise you have no standing with eBay especially as you are a `competitor`.

Keep in mind that eBay receives thousands of such reports every day, even if they find the report credible it could take weeks or months for them to get to them. A DMCA notice on the other hand is something they must respond to and very quickly if they want to maintain their safe-harbour position.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 18 of 24
latest reply

Hi I just checked and - 

In 2013, Reader's Digest Association sold Time Life to Mosaic Media Investment Partners.

I sent an email off to time life and reported it to ebay.  I am done with this now.

Message 19 of 24
latest reply

Unfortunately any of us reporting pretty much goes nowhere, telling the copyright holder will work wonders. The same thing applies in video games, letting Capcom, Sony, Nintendo etc know, usually does the trick.

Good luck!

Message 20 of 24
latest reply