Accidentally used old shipping label

kmosdell
Community Member

So as the title says, I've accidentally used an old canada post label from a prior shipment few months ago. It my rush out the door and my inexperience of using the shippo's site, i printed off an old label instead of ordering a new one. 

Thing is, the canada post counter accepted the parcel and it's probably in the mailing system right now, returned to ask if they still had it at the office but everything was picked up.

Will the shipment be sent to the address on the label or would it be shipped back to me for insufficient postage? And if it does would the mailman charge me a return to sender shipping fee? (literally post office > sorting > my place)

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

i would follow the tracking number to see if it moves forward in the system,  then you should see if it is going to it's destination, or coming back to you.

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

You should be able to call Canada Post and have the parcel returned.
Message 3 of 12
latest reply

Was the old label printed through Shippo?

Then most likely Shippo will charge you for any additional cost.

And the parcel will be delivered as normal.

-..-

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

When you print your postage online and don’t pay enough because the weight or dimensions are wrong, Canada Post will charge you through the service you used to print the label.  If they catch your  mistake now, they will probably do the same thing.  It is odd though that they accepted the label as I would have thought it would have been rejected right away.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

the newly re-printed label may have been viewed by Shippo similarly to PayPal's old verbage of "Ship Another" which would then incur the postage costs through PayPal and those label costs would be immediately calculated and removed from the PayPal balance. If the old data for weight and dimensions were used on the newer label and there is a differences in weight and dimensions that result in higher postage costs and that is determined at some point during a scanning process, those additional costs would result in a message being sent from Canada Post to the PayPal account indicating that an amount is owing for an improperly calculated postage label....however I am not familiar with Shippo and/or how this would be handled by Shippo.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

Tracking number comes up with not found when put on the website. 

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

My local post office usual checks the size and weight of the parcel before scanning it in. 
I wonder what information the barcode holds. If the machine scan it, it should reject cause label was used before. 
I did put a packing slip in the parcel so hopefully if it gets lost, it'll get returned.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

What shipping platform did you use to purchase and generate the label?

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

If you go into your Shippo history, you should be able to do a reprint of the label that you used and where you actually sent it to. I always print a copy of the mailing label and any customs information and attach to a copy of the packing slip which I keep for my records. If it appears it is not going to get returned to you, you could try contacting the customer that will be receiving a package in error, explain your faux-pas and ask if they could not open and just mark return to sender and it would be greatly appreciated. Was the package going to an address in Canada or elsewhere? If it was elsewhere, did you include any customs documents? That could slow up any return!! Hope that helps and good luck!!

-CM

PS. Have you been in touch with the customer the package was supposed to go to.? You may want to let them know their package "May" be delayed. One other suggestion that just came to mind. Besides the Shippo label, do you attach actual address labels...To and From to your packages. Never hurts to do that. The post office goes by the label but if the 2 don't match there is a chance someone along the way may question the difference. Adding labels only takes a minute or 2 and is something the post office recommends with all packages in case the label and the package do get separated.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

Package is going within Canada. I've contacted the intended recipient of the package, explained my error and provided him with a full refund.

My error was literally reprinting an old label from the history, as that was the landing page once I logged into shippo. In my rush out the door, I failed to read anything in the page and just printed an old label. If only realized the mistake once I noticed I didn't actually pay for a shipping label after I dropped it off at the post office. The and from address are on the label.

I will try to contact the old buyer if Can Post doesn't return the package why the end of this week.
Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Thank you for the clarification on how the situation transpired. I have never used Shippo nor have I been presented with such circumstance or problem when using PayPal shipping.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply