Addressing packages and adding the IOSS number

I have a few customers in Europe and I get problems with the IOSS each time I mail. I get messages back from the buyers that they have had to pay more because the IOSS code was not done electronically. BUT it is added when I make the label and I am very sure to do this. I do the label via Snap Ship and do click the section where it says to add the IOSS code and I also do the address correction trick to get the second line up and then copy and paste it into that spot as well. The code is added but does not show at the other end. How do others do this?. Do I have to stop mailing to Europe? Does eBay have any help with this problem? Thanks in advance

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

If you're using SnapShip, and following these instructions from Canada Post exactly, and the customers are still getting charged, then it was likely just a mistake or oversight by the European customs authority.

Not much you can do in that case but apologize to the customer for the inconvenience and recommend that they follow up with customs to get a reimbursement for any monies paid.

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

HI-Thanks for that info but that is exactly what I have been doing. I did apologize but it happens frequently enough. This buyer is getting the VAT fees back that she paid double for by ebay but was left with a 15.00 charge fee. Initailly I offered to pay buyers the fees incurred but it is not my fault that the electronic system does not work and I am doing it correctly. Thanks again for the article. It reinforces that I am filling it in correctly. 

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

@tuckhouse2021 

Are you adding the 6 digit HS code as well? That is also mandatory. If you aren't adding it, then that may be why your items are being charged VAT again.

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

When looking under the "View Details" of a item sold, you will see under Shipping Details

Tax Details! VAT Paid : IOSS - GB xxx xxxx xx

Information about IOSS numberPlease ensure that you share eBay’s IOSS number electronically with your carrier for your shipment to the EU. Learn moreInformation about IOSS numberopens in a new window or tab

https://www.ebay.ca/help/selling/selling/vat-obligations-eu?id=4650

I also write it on the package in clear bold print.

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

Hi-No I was not aware of a 6 digit HS code. Where does that one go on the Canada Post form please?

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

Thanks yes, I add that number to the online form. I also write the address on the package-just in case the label comes off really- and the number,  but it makes no difference if it is written on. They only want it online and I already add it to the online form. 

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

The HS code isn't always mandatory on the Snap Ship site. I printed a Tracked Packet label there last week and the HS box said 'optional'.  I always do fill it out though as it is required on ebay shipping and on Shippo but I believe it is only mandatory on CP for certain services.  Even when/if  it is mandatory, I doubt that the empty HS box has anything to do with the buyer being charged for VAT again.

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

It's not always easy to find HS codes quickly, so I keep a list of the most common ones I use in back of my accounts book.  (Yes, I am old and set in my ways, get off my lawn.)

https://www.trade.gov/harmonized-system-hs-codes

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

@msmaggie060 wrote:

@tuckhouse2021 

Are you adding the 6 digit HS code as well? That is also mandatory. If you aren't adding it, then that may be why your items are being charged VAT again.

Nothing to do with HS Codes.

The systems for handling DDP shipments are not well set up by the carriers and customs in some countries are horribly confused.

Most of my euro shipments are getting through just fine but there has been issues with a small number.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 10 of 14
latest reply

@tuckhouse2021 wrote:

Hi-No I was not aware of a 6 digit HS code. Where does that one go on the Canada Post form please?

If you read the VAT instructions that dinomitesales posted above it says that the HS code is required. When filling out the customs form on Snap Ship it does say optional but I have always filled it in and haven't had any problems. I believe it is on the customs part of the form (sorry, not on my PC so can't check just now). 

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

"The systems for handling DDP shipments are not well set up by the carriers and customs in some countries are horribly confused.

Most of my euro shipments are getting through just fine but there has been issues with a small number."

Ditto to this.  

The only country I am hearing about so far about customers getting dinged twice is France.  Specifically, only two of my French customers have been hit twice, once in a small town out in the sticks so I wrote that one off to some local staffer who didnt know what he was doing.  

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

@darak10 

I concur on the French issue, that is where I've had several of these problems.

Don't know about the "local staffer", it's at the national level (Customs) where the decisions are made and taxes assesed. No different than Canada Post who only collects what Canada Customs tells them to collect.

In theory, if a customer has to pay VAT incorrectly and you the seller refund then the tax amount eBay will credit you for the expense. Does this work in practice? I have no idea, the fly in the ointment with that is that in many cases the buyer simply never picks up or pays and the chances of the package being returned are slim and none.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 13 of 14
latest reply

eBay has said that the buyer who was charged twice on VAT should contact them and they will refund. I have no idea if ebay would refund the seller the money if the seller refunded.   I wouldn't count on it.

Message 14 of 14
latest reply