All these Ebay ads ahead of the item description have GOT TO GO!

It's nuts.  Two rows of large, intrusive ads before the item description.  Many of which are barely related to what's being sold in the listing.  Most buyers, especially newer buyers, are never going to think to keep scrolling down passed all those ads to find the item description.

This is especially problematic with pre-owned items.  There are often VITAL details in the item description that the buyer should know before purchasing.   The result could be many unnecessary SNADs.   

If Ebay is going to persist with these ads, then  they have to take responsibility for SNAD cases where the buyer indicates they never saw the item description.

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

I was going to agree with you but decided to see how bad it was.

I did a few random Searches- my favourite "Firefly Boom!" , a silly Beanie Baby Lobster  , and a dress "pink silk XXXL".

Here's the dress.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/313926053235?var=612631908006&hash=item4917736d73:g:VZEAAOSwiM9hqGK~&amdata=...

The thing is, those ads, and there are a LOT more than two rows of them are after the Description.

Do you  see the same thing I do, or am I just blessed?

I see so many complaints about this that you must be right about the placement and I agree with you completely that the seller should be allowed to show their listing fully before other suggestions are made, unlike the ugly and confusing AZ layout.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

when i click on your link i see two rows of  ads for dresses from other sellers, about half the dresses are the same as the one in the listing, and then after those two rows of ads, the item specifics/description.  The ads start right below where the payment options are shown in the listing.  So  a big gap between the initial information of the listing and then the item descripton

I don't really care how many ads they put after the item description.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

@fergua3 wrote:

Most buyers, especially newer buyers, are never going to think to keep scrolling down passed all those ads to find the item description.

Really? You don't think that anyone who shops online doesn't know how to scroll down? Even if you are new to online shopping anywhere or new to eBay the need to scroll for additional info is pretty much universal.

Of course these ads in between the top info and the description area are NOT NEW, they have been there for several years.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 4 of 8
latest reply

@recped wrote:

@fergua3 wrote:

Most buyers, especially newer buyers, are never going to think to keep scrolling down passed all those ads to find the item description.

Really? You don't think that anyone who shops online doesn't know how to scroll down? Even if you are new to online shopping anywhere or new to eBay the need to scroll for additional info is pretty much universal.

Of course these ads in between the top info and the description area are NOT NEW, they have been there for several years.

@fergua3 

@recped 

I am unable to find the specific discussion but when this was first observed and posted on a very well worded discussion on the dot com board (a very loud  uproar) there were several chirp ins from eBay staff they were looking into it and it would be corrected (reversed or re-considered)  ASAP. Unfortunately what gets said on the boards by eBay staff and what actually happens are 2 different things.

Scrolling down should not be necessary. There was no really good reason why ads need to be in the middle of a listing that a buyer has arrived at vs the end. It is just causing buyers to go to someone elses listing. Similar to when a customer walks by a store and everyone has gone home for the day. They just go to another store that IS open.

Similar type changes (improvements according to eBay) have been announced (with specific dates attached) on several occasions. Often features that would be considered actual improvements. There have been multiple occasions when these features either were not rolled out as scheduled or were stripped down when they finally arrived. Especially for Canadian eBay users. How long have Canadian sellers been waiting to offer coupons like US sellers have had for ages?

-Lotz

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

@recped wrote:

@fergua3 wrote:

@fergua3 

@recped 

I am unable to find the specific discussion but when this was first observed and posted on a very well worded discussion on the dot com board (a very loud  uproar) there were several chirp ins from eBay staff they were looking into it and it would be corrected (reversed or re-considered)  ASAP. Unfortunately what gets said on the boards by eBay staff and what actually happens are 2 different things.

Scrolling down should not be necessary. There was no really good reason why ads need to be in the middle of a listing that a buyer has arrived at vs the end. It is just causing buyers to go to someone elses listing. Similar to when a customer walks by a store and everyone has gone home for the day. They just go to another store that IS open.

Similar type changes (improvements according to eBay) have been announced (with specific dates attached) on several occasions. Often features that would be considered actual improvements. There have been multiple occasions when these features either were not rolled out as scheduled or were stripped down when they finally arrived. Especially for Canadian eBay users. How long have Canadian sellers been waiting to offer coupons like US sellers have had for ages?

-Lotz

@fergua3 

@recped 

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/eBay-showing-other-Sponsored-Listings-inside-your-Listing-befo...

See post 51.  Response was in March of this year from ebay buyer_team

-Lotz

Reiterated by Devon. The official announcement.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Buying/We-are-testing-a-new-View-Item-experience-on-desktop/m-p/336521...

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

I was going to agree with you but decided to see how bad it was.

I did a few random Searches- my favourite "Firefly Boom!" , a silly Beanie Baby Lobster  , and a dress "pink silk XXXL".

Here's the dress.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/313926053235?var=612631908006&hash=item4917736d73:g:VZEAAOSwiM9hqGK~&amdata=...

The thing is, those ads, and there are a LOT more than two rows of them are after the Description.

Do you  see the same thing I do, or am I just blessed?

I see so many complaints about this that you must be right about the placement and I agree with you completely that the seller should be allowed to show their listing fully before other suggestions are made, unlike the ugly and confusing AZ layout.

Here's what I see (obviously shrunk down to show it all)

Screenshot 2023-09-11 191837.jpg

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

So I clicked on the link and yep, that's exactly what you see but not what I saw the first time.

Strange.

I wonder if it's because I went to the listing the first time through Search and this time through the link, which might be telling the algorithm that I had looked (but not purchased) before?

Looking at our own listings isn't useful with this. We don't see what our customers see.

Off topic-- I found it amusing that the seller had "only two left" of that dress-- but there were half a dozen other sellers of the indentical item.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply