An unusual request by a potential customer

A potential customer wants to purchase CDs, but wants the discs and paperwork removed from the jewel cases and sent in one envelope to save on shipping cost ( I assume).

I see this as a problem because two of the CDs that are not mint are still factory sealed.

The other issue is this could open me up for a "product not as described" complaint. I don't believe the customer would do this and the customer's request is saved in my my Ebay messages, but the potential is still there.

Thoughts on this?

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@needsmorerobots wrote:

A potential customer wants to purchase CDs, but wants the discs and paperwork removed from the jewel cases and sent in one envelope to save on shipping cost ( I assume).

I see this as a problem because two of the CDs that are not mint are still factory sealed.

The other issue is this could open me up for a "product not as described" complaint. I don't believe the customer would do this and the customer's request is saved in my my Ebay messages, but the potential is still there.

Thoughts on this?

Why don't you create a new listing for the customer that clearly outlines that in the listing? Call it something like CD bundle for prearranged buyer, and in the description clearly state that it will be shipped as he requested you to do.

I would recommend that you at least put the discs in a paper sleeve if you have them though.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

marnotom!
Community Member
If you’re not comfortable with this request, then politely decline.
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

@needsmorerobots wrote:

Thoughts on this?

Why don't you create a new listing for the customer that clearly outlines that in the listing? Call it something like CD bundle for prearranged buyer, and in the description clearly state that it will be shipped as he requested you to do.

I would recommend that you at least put the discs in a paper sleeve if you have them though.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

@flipistics wrote:

That's actually a very good idea.

I don't have paper sleeves, I only have plastic jewel case protectors. That would still work in a pinch.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

wants the discs and paperwork removed

Let me guess. They are overseas, right?

I suspect smuggling,  perhaps because the contents are banned in his country.

I may be overly dramatic.

While I'd go with the papersleeves, which would be an extra cost to obtain I assume, and the special auction listing, think about this angle.

Also it's my observation that someone who will cheat on import fees will cheat on you. But politics may make that differ. For example Beyonce is banned in Malaysia.
https://www.watchmojo.com/articles/top-10-celebrities-who-are-banned-from-countries

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

I vote for overly dramatic. 😁 It's more likely that they want to save on shipping imo.  Without the jewel cases more cd's could be sent via lettermail. 

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

@needsmorerobots wrote:

@flipistics wrote:

That's actually a very good idea.

I don't have paper sleeves, I only have plastic jewel case protectors. That would still work in a pinch.

Re: Paper or plastic sleeves. 

If you wanted to go that way you can usually pick them up in any fine dollarstore. 50 for a couple of bucks. I have done in the past when a buyer wanted to cut down on shipping costs. Definitely add cardboard back and front for added protection. I wouldn't be trying to USA or Internationally because you won't be able to use letter. They require customs documentation. Either it will be returned at your expense or scrapped. 

-Lotz

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Good point.
Telling the customer that the Universal Postal Union is no longer allowing goods to be mailed internationally as "letters and documents" may clear up his problems.

That has been the practice for low value items for so long, customers are unlikely to be aware of it.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply