Another new item specifics option - Non-Domestic Product

Just noticed this under my item specifics, also shows up in TL2. Non-Domestic Product which according to ebay means “Indicate if the product is designed for use in a region other than where it’s listed. For example, if selling a UK hairdryer in the US (different voltage and outlet connection”. This is followed by Applicable Regions where you provide a list of applicable countries.

Good info for those buying electrical products but no idea why it is included in Crafts under Sewing and Knitting Patterns!! 

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

For Sewing and Knitting Patterns would it apply to International sizes?

-CM

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

There's a slew of new Item Specifics in Toys and Hobbies in addition to those. As I posted in another thread, it would be nice if ebay explained what they are and how to use them before they just slopped them into the listing form. 

Screen Shot 2018-08-05 at 4.23.31 PM.pngScreen Shot 2018-08-05 at 4.23.48 PM.png

Gender of the toy character I'm selling? Pardon me, but I think that one is irrelevant. I don't avoid girl characters when I'm looking for a toy for a boy, this isn't 1949. 

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

For Sewing and Knitting Patterns would it apply to International sizes?

-CM

What is an International size?

if you are referring to metric vs imperial measurements knitters and sewers are pretty smart people, they usually understand both. Also, many patterns include both measurements and bust measurements in imperial are usually understood by everyone.

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

I've run across this in the past selling clothing. Wasn't sure if applied to patterns too. If it did you could use those fields accordingly. Example below.

Image result for international clothing size conversion chart

-CM

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

I agree that some of this **bleep** that is being thrown into the listing process is ridiculous. I will not waste my time filling out such frivolous details. eBay is really trying my patience these days with all this silliness.

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

There are also loads of conversion charts for knitting needle sizes, US and UK abbreviations and sizes in metric and imperial on Google.

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

I guess the good news is that this is another yes/no specific that defaults to "no" thereby making its presence easy to ignore.

It is nice that they are trying but I'm not sure some of these specifics are essential for the great majority of listings. Let the user create these specifics when necessary which is something I personally do quite often. The chances of the info being useful for the buyer would be much better.

I'm beginning to suspect that eBay would like to think that by building out a more robust set of Item specifics they can possibly eliminate the listing description altogether.
Message 8 of 13
latest reply

It's funny how it works.

The one thing that annoys me is parts that are listed in a category where only completed items should be. Makes it darn hard to find stuff. But part of that is down to antiquated categories that desperately need to be updated. So a new "product based" experience won't magically remove those spurious listings because knowing folks they will list items as a "product" then state in the description "this is not xyz, just a box, or this rare part". Therein lies the problem, too much trust of the vendors who stock your shelves. Not enough manpower to go through and clear the dredges.

I recall years ago there were sellers who were listing adult items in every imaginable category. Reported those fast. Others like jewelry and odds and ends do give a chuckle now and then.
Message 9 of 13
latest reply

I agree that the current category classification scheme is woefully inadequate. It has the appearance of a project half completed and then abandoned circa 1999.

Really, the entire taxonomy of everything on the site requires a rethink. One would think this switch to a product based system would provide the ideal opportunity to rework the taxonomy but this does not appear to be happening.
Message 10 of 13
latest reply

An improved taxonomy would probably reduce the "listed in wrong" category problem but human nature being what it is I'm sure this problem would still be all too common.

Short of having an administrator approve every single listing prior to it going live I really don't know how all listings can be herded into the correct category.
Message 11 of 13
latest reply

An alternative would be to give sellers the option to use if applicable OR delete/remove if not applicable. Adding duplicates to fields we probably added on our own makes no sense. And like we all know, the majority of buyers do not read the entire listing to begin with. Just how it is.

-CM

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Yes, it would be much better if unused or irrelevant specifics could be deleted leaving only the relevant details to wade through.

Twenty-five lines of data presented in small font will cause most buyers eyes to glaze over.
Message 13 of 13
latest reply