Any Canadian sellers here who use USPS to ship their items?

I am curious if there are any Canadian sellers who use USPS... like going down the the states and shipping their wares through there?

I'm asking because I've heard of some people doing this, but I am not sure of the logistics of it all, like, do you require a US mailing return address on it or can you use your own Canadian address? Do you even need a return address on it?

I have a bunch of posters that I would like to sell, but being from Canada, I am afraid that CanadaPost is going to charge an arm and a leg for them, so I would like to see if shipping via USPS is a viable option for me since I live near the border (though this would probably require me getting a Nexus pass to make it worth my time).

Message 1 of 261
latest reply
260 REPLIES 260

Re: Any Canadian sellers here who use USPS to ship their items?

How do u print usps shipping labels on eBay from canada
Message 241 of 261
latest reply

I am in the process of setting up my online business and looking for options to ship my packages from Toronto to the States, I believe stallion express is one of the options, but do they provide US postage for shipping?  

Message 242 of 261
latest reply

@cowboyy4903 wrote:

I am in the process of setting up my online business and looking for options to ship my packages from Toronto to the States, I believe stallion express is one of the options, but do they provide US postage for shipping?  

You could check on the stallionexpress.ca website:

... facilities are equipped with workstations where you can print USPS labels, but you can also print your own labels yourself, at your own convenience (just ask us about getting your own FREE account for printing postage and shipping labels – at commercial pricing!).

Chit Chat Express has a similar setup.

In both cases I believe you pay for the postage in US$

What you pay Stallion and Chit Chat is for taking it across the border.

-..-

Message 243 of 261
latest reply

it says on their website up to $800usd. its under help and far
Message 244 of 261
latest reply

@subconsciouspower wrote:
it says on their website up to $800usd. its under help and far

The post by cssn was in Sept-2015 when the import limit to the USA was $200. It changed to $800 months after that post.

Message 245 of 261
latest reply

Thanks for the info Dennis, I contacted stallion and setup my account..They said the postage is in USD and we pay directly to stamps. My packages are small envelopes, their website says they just charge $0.55 per package which I find very economical. 

Message 246 of 261
latest reply

are there any other fees that stallion express charge other then 0.85 USD? have anyone shipped to US from stallion?

Message 247 of 261
latest reply

No other fees.

How about item returns with Stallion? Do they also allow to buy goods in the US and ship to their US pickup location, or may be they can pickup from other cross-border company location in the US and deliver to Canada?

Message 248 of 261
latest reply

@arnym35 wrote:

... Do they also allow to buy goods in the US and ship to their US pickup location, ...

Purchasing items in the USA and bringing them back across the border into Canada requires customs clearance when the value is above $20CA -- which I'm pretty sure Stallion is not setup for -- you'd have to ask them.

-..-

Message 249 of 261
latest reply

Wowee! This thread is still going. lol

I'd basically given up back in 2011, which was probably evident when I didn't come back to the thread after a couple posts. I found it too prohibitive, especially for a very small-time seller like me to try to ship using USPS. Just couldn't justify the costs of a courier and jumping through hoops to get a Stamps.com account up and running, etc. This wasn't for lack of trying either. I also couldn't wrap my head around First-Class and Priority rates and the rules associated with them and no wonder, seeing as I wasn't able to generate the labels myself so I couldn't compare the prices and other aspects of the services. I actually ended up selling a bulk of the posters I was trying to sell back then locally on Craigslist, which wasn't actually too bad.

I only started to figure out how to ship using USPS by myself from about early 2014. NOW  I am able to generate my own USPS Paypal shipping labels without transactions (I created a US Paypal account) or print USPS labels for eBay transactions, even if I sell the item on a eBay.ca listing. I just log into eBay.com and process the transaction's shipping label through there and it allows me to print a USPS label as I have the eBay.com side configured with a US address to ship from.

I use a service that sets you up with a US mailing address, free to ship from as long as your packages are prepaid, and just a flat fee to receive packages from. I pretty much use USPS for nearly everything, even shipping within Canada, as it always includes tracking for an economical rate for lightweight items which is generally what  I deal with - the only exception to this is if the item is fairly heavy, in which case CPC's Expedited sometimes may be comparable in price.

I also now know how to ship posters economically - first class with a poster tube (or you can frankenbox a long triangular box) up to 16 oz, over that, I'd try Priority.

On a slightly different note, I'm actually looking for a different service (of course located near Vancouver/LowerMainland borders) that allows unlimited sending/receiving, essentially like a P.O. Box, does anyone have any recommendations?

Message 250 of 261
latest reply

Chit chat express
Message 251 of 261
latest reply

Hello all, I just read this whooole thread looking for answers and it seems like the times are a changin', but I am still looking for a solution to send from Montreal to the US for a reasonable rate. Do you know if I can ship to stallion or chitchat and if they can forward it (with a stamps.com label or equivalent)? 

Also looking to get some packages (less than $100 value) from the US without being held at customs for no reason & reasonable shipping rates.

Any advice appreciated!!

Message 252 of 261
latest reply

@punkinchunkinpie3 wrote:

Hello all, I just read this whooole thread looking for answers and it seems like the times are a changin', but I am still looking for a solution to send from Montreal to the US for a reasonable rate. Do you know if I can ship to stallion or chitchat and if they can forward it (with a stamps.com label or equivalent)? 

Also looking to get some packages (less than $100 value) from the US without being held at customs for no reason & reasonable shipping rates.

Any advice appreciated!!

Chit Chat Express is coming to Montreal soon.

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/CHIT-CHAT-EXPRESS-MONTREAL-BRANCH-OPENING-SOON/m-p/367819...

http://chitchatsexpress.com/locations/montreal/

Message 253 of 261
latest reply

Hi there,

I got a quick question for all the ebayer's that ship via usps from Canada. I just started last week, I used the 7533 manifest form, today I had a custom officer tell me that I also need the ace emanifest as well. Is that true? I looked at the application (ACE Trade Portal Application) and it seems like it's for truckers and people in the freight business. I don't see how it would apply towards myself and my car. If someone can give me some inside what you do when you take your goods over the border I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Message 254 of 261
latest reply

@socaldreaming wrote:

Hi there,

I got a quick question for all the ebayer's that ship via usps from Canada. I just started last week, I used the 7533 manifest form, today I had a custom officer tell me that I also need the ace emanifest as well. Is that true? I looked at the application (ACE Trade Portal Application) and it seems like it's for truckers and people in the freight business. I don't see how it would apply towards myself and my car. If someone can give me some inside what you do when you take your goods over the border I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Have not encountered this before. What was the maximum value of a single package in your delivery lot? Also what was the total value of all the packages? The reason I ask is that there are separate procedures that apply if any single item is over $800 USD or the total of all the items is over $2500 USD (no longer classed as a LVS). I am not well versed in those areas as everything I ship would be below those limits. From a quick googling (link here) this appears to tie in with that and have some relevance:

Section 321 is a U.S. Shipment Type for goods to clear through U.S. Customs and Border Protection. It is a type of Informal Entry that allows for the release at the border of shipments valued at 800 U.S. dollars or less. If a Highway Carrier entering the United States has ONLY Section 321 eligible shipments aboard, it is not currently required to file an ACE eManifest for that truck. However if there are other Shipment Types also aboard then all shipments must be manifested, including the Section 321 shipments. 

There could be some confusion as anyone importing has to go through the truck lane, and experience has taught me that not all staff are well versed in all procedures. I'm not a border/customs/broker agent and do not play one on tv either, so you may want to give CBP a call and ask them for clarification.

Message 255 of 261
latest reply

@socaldreaming wrote:

Hi there,

Thanks

Have not encountered this before. What was the maximum value of a single package in your delivery lot? Also what was the total value of all the packages? The reason I ask is that there are separate procedures that apply if any single item is over $800 USD or the total of all the items is over $2500 USD (no longer classed as a LVS). I am not well versed in those areas as everything I ship would be below those limits. From a quick googling (link here) this appears to tie in with that and have some relevance:

Section 321 is a U.S. shipment type for goods to clear through U.S. Customs and Border Protection. It is a type of Informal Entry that allows for the release at the border of shipments valued at 800 U.S. dollars or less. If a Highway Carrier entering the United States has ONLY Section 321 eligible shipments aboard, it is not currently required to file an ACE eManifest for that truck. However if there are other Shipment Types also aboard then all shipments must be manifested, including the Section 321 shipments. 

There could be some confusion as anyone importing has to go through the truck lane, and experience has taught me that not all staff are well versed in all procedures. I'm not a border/customs/broker agent and do not play one on tv either, so you may want to give CBP a call and ask them for clarification.

Message 256 of 261
latest reply

Zombie thread from 2011.

It would be best to start a new thread of your own with your question.

Much of the information here is out of date.

Message 257 of 261
latest reply

@socaldreaming wrote:

Hi there,

Thanks

Have not encountered this before. What was the maximum value of a single package in your delivery lot? Also what was the total value of all the packages? The reason I ask is that there are separate procedures that apply if any single item is over $800 USD or the total of all the items is over $2500 USD (no longer classed as a LVS). I am not well versed in those areas as everything I ship would be below those limits. From a quick googling this appears to tie in with that and have some relevance:

Section 321 is a U.S. Shipment Type for goods to clear through U.S. Customs and Border Protection. It is a type of Informal Entry that allows for the release at the border of shipments valued at 800 U.S. dollars or less. If a Highway Carrier entering the United States has ONLY Section 321 eligible shipments aboard, it is not currently required to file an ACE eManifest for that truck. However if there are other Shipment Types also aboard then all shipments must be manifested, including the Section 321 shipments. 

Message 258 of 261
latest reply

The most expensive item was $15, the total was $140. I took a look at the things you need for Ace application and it's all this trucking information, for example you need a SCAC code which seems is given to carries/truckers, I doubt I'll get one for my Honda Civic. I just do the 7533 form as you do and haven't had a problem with it.

I'm assuming the agent assumed that I needed to do a ace manifest as you mentioned because I was in the trucking lane. I read the Section 321 shipments part too, most of my items are valued at $5 to $30, nothing coming close to $800. I'll be back there on Tuesday and talk to some of the custom officers in the building to clarify the ACE manifest. 

Does anyone here ever use the ace manifest or just the 7533 manifest. Also what border crossing/port do you use, I use the Port Huron crossing.

Thanks for all the input

Message 259 of 261
latest reply

@socaldreaming wrote:

The most expensive item was $15, the total was $140. I took a look at the things you need for Ace application and it's all this trucking information, for example you need a SCAC code which seems is given to carries/truckers, I doubt I'll get one for my Honda Civic. I just do the 7533 form as you do and haven't had a problem with it.

I'm assuming the agent assumed that I needed to do a ace manifest as you mentioned because I was in the trucking lane. I read the Section 321 shipments part too, most of my items are valued at $5 to $30, nothing coming close to $800. I'll be back there on Tuesday and talk to some of the custom officers in the building to clarify the ACE manifest. 

In that case probably just a confused or cranky border person. You always have to be in the commercial/trucking lane so that is a non-factor. Go across the standard lanes and you can expect to get a strip torn off at a minimum and banned from the crossing at the worst. Were you going down frequently enough I would suggest registering for a transponder, although that has gotten quite expensive with the increase in price so you really need to be crossing frequently enough to make that worthwhile. Things tend to go smoother when you have the transponder as they somewhat assume you know what you are doing but more importantly it speeds up the process for them. 

Most of the procedural issues I've encountered have more to do with the category of products I sell and ensuring proper labelling. Some categories require specific warning labelling, and it may be worthwhile researching that if you sell a particular category of goods. As an aside, make sure all of your products are marked with the country of origin, either on the original packaging or with a suitable sticker. You are subject to random inspections and that is one of the things they will look for. You are performing a commercial importation, so whatever rules and regulations that would apply to a US individual or business apply to you as well. They are professional and helpful when you have an inquiry, I would just make the suggestion that you don't make the inquiry while you are crossing with commercial goods as they can get annoyed if you show up in the commercial lane and are unprepared. I cross somewhere around 150 or so times a year and have gone through several of the crossings here. All those crossings were just with the 7533.

Message 260 of 261
latest reply