Are we no longer doing unpaid item cases?

I tried to file an unpaid item claim today and can't find the option in any of the menus anymore.

The only mention I found was if you go to 

- an order in the "all orders" list

- context menu

- report buyer

- where it says, "If your buyer hasn't paid, please open an unpaid item case."

But when I click "open an unpaid item case", it takes me straight to a page where the only option is to straight-up cancel and relist.

Has ebay just done away with that feature?

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Yes. You cancel the sale and eBay fees refunded no more waiting. Then you relist. This is what I read in these forums. Please wait for other sellers to confirm what I posted and any other advice on this change.

Here is a link to the recent eBay announcement on this change. 

https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Announcements/New-cancel-function-for-unpaid-items/ba-p/458469

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

I asked tyler@ebay  about this.

Apparently this has been automated so now ALL unpaid transactions become Unpaid Item Disputes after 4 days/96 hours.

No change for us Canadians but this adds 48 hours to US sellers UID availability.

Then if the customer does not pay in the next 96 hours, it closes as a UID and he gets a Strike and we get our FVF back.

There are still some questions.

What about sellers who allow longer payment periods?  I've seen sellers who allow up to 30 days for payment, which seems strange to me, but... YMMV.

Not clear on how cancellations work.

• Buyer Request- which has always been available immediately and is the fault-free choice
  • Out of Stock- which penalizes the seller
  • Problem with Address- which has been the go-to for questionable transactions and is also "fault-free".

And because this is going to take a long time for me to remember all the changes, Tyler! Help!

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

This is what I know/understand, which might not be correct.

I have my "timer" set to 32 days from the UID days and I have not changed it (I have buyers accumulating purchases).

I have had several unpaid items, that have been unpaid for more than 4 days so it is not automatic after 4 days. I think one has to set the timer to be 4 days for it to automagically happen after 4 days.

I have zapped one unpaid buyer, all one has to do now is go into the "cancel order(?)" option from the dropdown (I don't have any unpaid at the moment) for that item in the all orders list, and one of the new reasons for the cancellation is that the buyer didn't pay (I don't remember the exact words). Clicking on that and following the quick process is easy.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

What about sellers who allow longer payment periods?  I've seen sellers who allow up to 30 days for payment, which seems strange to me, but... YMMV.

Ah, yes, we're generally happy to sit on the item longer than that. We have regular customers who like to pick up items throughout the month and save money on shipping by just having one combined order at the end. Or even just one-time buyers who are still waiting for another one or two auctions to time out (so payment may be delayed by 7 days, which is honestly not a big deal).

It's a little bit of additional work on our end, but it keeps the regular buyers happy and coming back for more.

If all we have to do is to not cancel the item, then great. If they get an automatic strike after 4 days without a cancelation from our end, that would be less desirable.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

@ricarmic wrote:

I have my "timer" set to 32 days from the UID days and I have not changed it (I have buyers accumulating purchases).

I have had several unpaid items, that have been unpaid for more than 4 days so it is not automatic after 4 days. I think one has to set the timer to be 4 days for it to automagically happen after 4 days.

How/where can I see or set that timer?

I was looking in Account -> Selling -> Selling preferences -> Preferences for items awaiting payment, but it only has a toggle to switch "Automatically cancel unpaid items" on or off.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Try toggling it "on"..

Mine is "on" and I have this option underneath it:

"Select how long buyers have to pay for items. After that time, items still awaiting payment are automatically cancelled."

Mine I've set to 30 days (the max when I set it) which means they have 32 days to pay.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

To adjust your payment settings....

https://www.ebay.ca/uas/selling-pref

recped_0-1626200254252.png

Click on edit and you get this page....

recped_1-1626200372967.png

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Super, thank you!

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

I asked tyler@ebay  about this.

Apparently this has been automated so now ALL unpaid transactions become Unpaid Item Disputes after 4 days/96 hours.

No change for us Canadians but this adds 48 hours to US sellers UID availability.

Then if the customer does not pay in the next 96 hours, it closes as a UID and he gets a Strike and we get our FVF back.

Not clear on how cancellations work.

• Buyer Request- which has always been available immediately and is the fault-free choice
  • Out of Stock- which penalizes the seller
  • Problem with Address- which has been the go-to for questionable transactions and is also "fault-free".

And because this is going to take a long time for me to remember all the changes, Tyler! Help!

Hi @femmefan1946 - it's definitely going to take some getting used to for all of us. Let me just quickly run down the change:

• Unpaid Item Cases are out - now they're 'cancellations for nonpayment'
  • You can cancel for nonpayment on the 5th calendar day from the commitment to purchase (not the old 96 hour window)
  • Once the cancellation is sent, you're done! No follow up, no waiting period to see if the buyer will pay, the transaction is considered completed. This makes it safer to relist as part of the cancellation flow (it's a little checkbox on the page now)

The only time things should happen automatically is if you had the old 'Unpaid item assistant' turned on. You can manage those settings from the site preferences page ( @recped  gave great screenshots, thank you!). Otherwise you'll want to cancel the transaction manually.

When a transaction qualifies for a non-payment cancellation (no recorded payment by the 5th calendar day) you'll see an additional cancellation reason - it should be something like 'Buyer did not pay'. That will assign no fault to the seller - penalize the buyer and protect the transaction from feedback. 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 10 of 10
latest reply