Are you kidding me ebay? Items stuck in transit refunded!

I know this is becoming a common problem.  But I am about to lose my *****.  

I am getting tired of Ebay taking our money and refunding it without following their own rules.

I had a shipment "TRACKED" shipping delayed in Chicago.  The customer opened a ticket, that they hadn't recieved it.  I wrote back and confirmed it was still in Chicago.  I opened a ticket with USPS.

A few days later Ebay refunded the buyer $90 of mine, even those the item is still in transit....

I was first told by Ebay that the case was on hold because of the tracking.

I called them and they said, it your your responsibility to be a dependable shipping carrier.  IT was Canada Post/USPS.

Please see attached!

I am losing so much money due to these policies.  We are supposed to be covered with tracked shipping...

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

An additional note, I spoke to Paypal.  They would have covered me under seller protection, BUT since the buyer filed the complaint with Ebay NOT Paypal.  Paypal cannot help at all.

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

You'll want to have a read through the thread linked here.

Ebay has a process in place for this, but only if you voluntarily refund. I would still push it with appeals if it falls within their specified subsequent delivery time limit. 

Frankly speaking if ebay has this process and reps aren't informing sellers of it then that stinks. Badly. The whole training excuse is wearing mightily thin these days. You either have processes documented and competent employees or you dont.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

It's not eBay taking your money it's the buyer who you could not convince to wait.

How long had it been sitting in  Chicago? If it was more than 10 days since the last scan that is past the time eBay will put a claim on hold.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 4 of 10
latest reply

I already filed an appeal and got an email that it was declined within an hour.  The Paypal rep told me something similar to that link, she said contact ebay after it is delivered and beg them to refund the money back to me.

My attachment on the original post shows what happened.  They put the claim on hold due to the tracking, then a few days later just closed it with the refund.

I really hate to have to move away from Ebay, because it is a major stream of income for me, but lately I am paying a huge chunk of my income to packages not received and scam artists.  It is really hurting.  

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

The buyer did message me apologizing, he did not expect Ebay to refund the money, he was just asking for help in getting the item moving (not that they could).  He has offered to contact Ebay once the item is delivered, in hopes of getting the money returned to me.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

People, people,

You know that there is a problem with shipping due to Covid and you know that there are problems at Chicago's Distribution Center. 

I've said this before and I will say it again..........The solution is to pick an extended handling and  shipping time.

Check our auctions.  We have picked a 30 day  handling time and we pick the longest estimated shipping which is usually 23+ days.  Check our auction that ends tomorrow (June 27).  Delivery date is given as between August 26 and September 10.   That's an estimated time of over 70 days for delivery.   If anyone asks about that lengthy delivery estimate we just tell them it is "eBay's fake news".  We tell them that we ship promptly upon payment and that they will receive their parcel in a timely manner.   Check our feedback.  We have NO NEGATIVE FEEDBACK about our shipping time or about delivery time.    In fact look how many times the comment is "fast shipping". 

Therefore, the solution is to extend you handling, shipping and delivery time and quit complaining that some restless buyer has  been refunded....again! 

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Just another example of ebay screwing its customers (oops, sellers are an inconvenience, not customers).  Maybe Paypal will buy ebay and fix these issues (hopefully).

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

@beavosorus wrote:

I already filed an appeal and got an email that it was declined within an hour.  The Paypal rep told me something similar to that link, she said contact ebay after it is delivered and beg them to refund the money back to me.

My attachment on the original post shows what happened.  They put the claim on hold due to the tracking, then a few days later just closed it with the refund.

I really hate to have to move away from Ebay, because it is a major stream of income for me, but lately I am paying a huge chunk of my income to packages not received and scam artists.  It is really hurting.  

I can tell you what you can do that will entirely eliminate your problem AND save you a LOT of money (talking about your more exensive items which you use Canada Post with tracking) AND provide MUCH better service to your customers.

• Your listings indicate you are in Whitby, open an account with ChitChats, they have an office in Pickering.
  • You will be able to ship directly with USPS.
  • You will pay less than CA$5.00 to send a First Class Package.
  • Your shipments will be delivered 98% of the time in 2 - 4 days
  • Your shipments will be fully tracked from drop off to delivery

I'm not 100% sure if ChitChats will take your regular envelopes you use for the cheap cards but if they will you can probably send them for about a dollar (buy discounted US postage stamps on eBay?), the price will be a bit less than using Canada Post but you will see delivery in 2 - 5 days and your loss rates will be extremely low.

I use a ChitChats competitor called Stallion Express (https://ship.stallionexpress.ca/register/i1oZkN) they provide similar services (a bit cheaper) plus really good International services. Their closest location to you is in Markham, a bit of a drive especially given the traffic. I know for sure they will handle LetterMail to the US (CA$1.11/per piece).

Just think, no more Canada Post, no more orders going through any USPS ISC and more money in your pocket!

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
Message 9 of 10
latest reply

@beavosorus wrote:

The buyer did message me apologizing, he did not expect Ebay to refund the money, he was just asking for help in getting the item moving (not that they could).  He has offered to contact Ebay once the item is delivered, in hopes of getting the money returned to me.

If the buyers is willing (I've had a few who were) the easy and totally eBay legal way to do this is to create a new listing for the buyer for the required amount. They buy, they pay, you mark as shipped, both understand there is nothing to ship. eBay gets their usual fees that they should have refunded to you under the INR claim.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply