Better Just To Shut It All Down?

I've been continuing to sell, but it hardly seems worth it for the headaches I'm encountering (and bound to encounter).

I have two parcels sitting on a truck in Mississauga somewhere (and they won't be investigated by CP because they were sent by Chit Chats, and since i didn't buy insurance with them, I'm screwed there).

I have two other domestic parcels sent this week that still haven't been picked up at the local post office.

I have a feeling it's luck of the draw at every single point of contact now. Odds of something going missing are quite high. Then trying to file a claim for anything missing will be a gong show.

I'm shuttin er down... 😞
Message 1 of 53
latest reply
52 REPLIES 52

Re: Better Just To Shut It All Down?

I sold two books this week. Hadn't sold one in ages. I predict sales will increase in a few weeks once folks start getting income payments from the feds. I am happily still in business with steady sales.
Message 21 of 53
latest reply

I  don't know if anyone knows the answer to this

My sales have slowed to about 30% of normal, I  sell collectibles and antiques which people obviously don't need during this crisis.  This reduced income is not enough to live on ( this along with another platform is my only source of income) but is not at the zero required to claim the emergency $2K a month being offered by our government. 

Does anyone know if there is anything in the stimulus package that helps self employed people with reduced incomes rather than nil income?  I  am loathed to have to close my shops  as I  think it is better for the individual and the economy as a whole to have as many businesses as possible remain open regardless of size but as there doesn't seem to be any help for people in this position I  am going to be force to close everything in order to legally claim the CERB payment

If anyone has any ideas I  would be very pleased to hear them

Message 22 of 53
latest reply

@imagewarehouseonline wrote:
... Does anyone know if there is anything in the stimulus package that helps self employed people with reduced incomes rather than nil income? 

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/emergency-benefits-what-each-province-is-offering-during-t...

Message 23 of 53
latest reply

While Service Canada is working with reduced staff-- I have friends who work there in Ottawa and work from home is not going well because of privacy concerns and a lack of secure laptops to send home with workers-- that would still be the place to start.

If you don't ask, they can't say yes.

Then go to your Member of Parliament. Public servants do act a little faster when an MP's office is inquiring. They will jump, although they probably won't be asking "how high"?

And don't forget there are provincial and municipal income subsidies available, including for disabilities and for parents.

Another thought, if you don't already do it, is to list on multiple sites. Ruby Lane is a high end collectibles site and of course there is a collectibles component to etsy. 

Message 24 of 53
latest reply

Thanks for the ideas.... I  had formulated a question to send to various levels of government, my issue aside from reduced  sales is also supply,  all of the estate sales, private estate purchases and auction houses are closed avenues for my collectibles stores and on my etsy shop I  hand make  jewellery and my wholesalers are also mandated to close down so it seems like I  have no choice but to close down completely to give myself a zero income so I  can qualify for the CERB.

Message 25 of 53
latest reply

@mrdutch1001 wrote:

When Canada Post and USPS agree to stop the transit of mail, then I may re-consider my position but until then I remain calm and will carry on with whatever transpires.

I am not of the belief that panic/fear of the unknown will solve anything but rather that logic and sensibility are better served at this time.

I'm with ya! I considered it and wife said so your sales have slowed - yr still selling one or two a week. And she is right. I only sell to Canada and the US so until the Post quits I am going to carry on. I even sold one to New York city yesterday - go figure.

Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again. Crazy enough to try
Message 26 of 53
latest reply

I actually have had more sales than normal in the last few weeks.  More from Canada than usual & quite a few from the US.  Since I can print labels at home & pay for them online, it makes it really easy.  Then my husband takes them up to the post office & just places them on the counter for them to scan & so there is hardly any interaction with people.  Also noticed items are getting shipped quite quickly to my buyers. So far had no delays.  Hope that continues.

Message 27 of 53
latest reply

For me the chit chats I use for US shipping is in Vancouver near Clarke and 6th roughly. But even if I go to the other locations, it's still at least two hours on public transportation, which for me is not what I want during this situation.

Some small items I could send using Canada Post, but since the rest of the family is senior and in high risk section, (technically me too as I do have asthma) I'm staying in except for brief walks and of course buying food.

I've ordered a few bulk auctions, so I can sort through the goodies and build inventory.

Tried to convince a Craigslist seller to mail items but they wouldn't hear of it. Oh well.

I'm surprised there are so many ads still on Craigslist. Social distance is hard when buying something in person, plus the usual safe Haven's for such purchases are closed!
Message 28 of 53
latest reply

@retroman_studios wrote:
For me the chit chats I use for US shipping is in Vancouver near Clarke and 6th roughly. But even if I go to the other locations, it's still at least two hours on public transportation, which for me is not what I want during this situation.

Which Vancouver location is the above that were you using? I ask because Chit Chats has closed some locations. See this page.

https://chitchats.com/blog/updates-regarding-covid-19

Branches

Contactless Drop & Go implemented at all branches.

• Richmond  – richmond@chitchats.com : OPEN
  • Vancouver  – vancouver@chitchats.com : OPEN
  • Surrey  – surrey@chitchats.com : OPEN
  • Burnaby  – burnaby@chitchats.com : CLOSED
    • Temporarily closed from Thur Mar 19 until further notice

Drop Spots

• PharmaChoice (Main Street) : CLOSED
    • Temporarily closed from Thur Mar 19 until further notice
  • Western Campus Resources (North Vancouver) : OPEN
Message 29 of 53
latest reply

Vernon drive is the actual street, just behind Clarke, the cross street is Charles I think. It's the Vancouver branch.

It's currently open but limited hours and zero contact delivery as you go in back door and put package in bin.
Message 30 of 53
latest reply

@imagewarehouseonline 

When you start on a new site, all your stale product looks fresh to that new audience!

Message 31 of 53
latest reply

@imagewarehouseonline 

https://nationalpost.com/news/world/coronavirus-live-updates-canada-has-6320-confirmed-and-presumpti...

Specifically:

Speaking in his regular COVID-19 address to the nation Monday, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau offered more details on the emergency wage subsidy that was first announced last week.

He said that if a business’s revenues have decreased by at least 30 per cent, they will be eligible for the rescue plan. It will apply to non-profits and charities, as well as companies big and small, he said.

Message 32 of 53
latest reply

I guess  that we should just wait and see - I  looked into the small business rescues but it seems to only apply to those that employ people and seems to be in terms of loans and interest free lines of credit- we are self employed, but our business is just me and my husband, no employees but the income is all we have to pay our bills with. 

I placed this store on vacation today, will close Etsy down tomorrow and then sit tight for the 2 weeks of no income before applying for the CREB hopefully we wont need it for the full 4 months maybe we will be over the worst by then. Better still maybe the federal gov will come up with a solution for reduced incomes which will allow people like us to keep trading while getting a top up of some kind  as I  hate having to choose between having an income via the CERB and doing nothing to help myself or to work my socks off but not be able to pay my bills.  It might have been better to follow the USA and give everyone a flat amount regardless of how you earn your living. I  know I  am not alone as many people have reached out to me via email to see if I  have figured out anything.

Thanks so much for everyone's input I  really appreciate the ideas and information

Message 33 of 53
latest reply

DH and I were discussing this.

We're both retired and get OAP/CPP, but in our opinion the best way to handle this might have been to institute a Universal Guaranteed Income, on the same basis as the OAP  or the Baby Bonus, if you are old enough to remember that.

Everyone gets it, and then it is taxed back from those whose income is "too high".

It drives the fiscally conservative nuts, and the socially conservative nuttier, but it has the advantage of simplicity and the existing programs using this method work fine.
So both the corner panhandler and "Lord" Conrad Black get $1200 a month. One uses it to pay for her rent and for food, and the other pays back $14,400 at tax time.

Message 34 of 53
latest reply

Before i shut everything down, i also noticed i was getting a lot of new Ebayers and Wanna-buyers, with lots of inquiries, lowball offers, and "Amazon-like" expectations. A few non paying bidders. Two delayed/lost packages. And they were all buying small, low valued items.

Considering I'm only leaving the house briefly once a week at the moment, it wasn't worth it for me to keep selling. The risk was greater (on so many levels), than the reward.
Message 35 of 53
latest reply

@retroman_studios wrote:

You should look in to Chit Chats' courier service. I don't know if it's available in Vancouver, but in Toronto I can send them a large box (about 6KG) for around $10, so I slowed my handling time and send them a box when I have at least 20 sales. 

Message 36 of 53
latest reply

When things get really bad working from home or you just need a smile!!  🙂

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmwVh_Xyu5U&feature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPfya60FYo4

-Lotz

Message 37 of 53
latest reply

@teenytrinkets wrote:
Before i shut everything down, i also noticed i was getting a lot of new Ebayers and Wanna-buyers

I also got a lot of new watchers for my items but no sales at all the past two weeks.

I just ended all of my listings now. Tomorrow will be the last time I go to a post office - to mail some of my homemade fabric masks to a friend who is looking after her sick mother (not covid related) at home. I work essential services so the only time I go out is when I go to work, and when I grocery shop. It's already stressful enough as is, I'm not going to bother with eBay for the next little while.

Message 38 of 53
latest reply

Basic Incomes for all Citizens, then we could all continue to function...

Message 39 of 53
latest reply

A BASIC INCOME would cost less than all the systems we have now and everyone would get it, period!

EVERYONE!

Imagine if we had that system now, in this situation!

$1500.00 per month no strings attached. 

I actually advocate for this on twitter "Citizen I" #basicincome #UBI now is the time to act...

Message 40 of 53
latest reply