Bogus claim

Soo..... as a seller . Never had an issue with buyers except today.
I had pictures posted to show condition. Clearly see it front and back . Posted as new. Because it was new. Apparently he thinks it's not. yet my photos beg to differ.
Over 6 $....he **bleep**ed to Ebay. Normally I have 0 issue with working something out. In this case I won't budge. He lied about the packaging aswell. Why do I care about 6$ . I don't . It's the principle that people make bogus claims and making stuff up and trying to ruin your rep.
I could easily just refund but why do I have to when I know I am right.

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Bogus claim

My mantra has been:

Burn me once shame on you, burn me twice shame on me....

I'd do the same as Zee (except I'd say that I'd trust them to return it and refund now as a gesture of good faith).

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Tell the buyer to open a Return case and he will be refunded when he sends the item back. Seller pays Return postage on cases if Not as Described.
Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Well he did. I called Ebay right away.Talked to them about it. MY posted pictures are very clear . Condition . If he returns it damged...then what. I completely disagree with the entire situation.
It's absurd and will let Ebay decide.
Standing up for myself.
Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Piffle.

Over $6?

Don't waste time with Customer Service. Their purpose in life is to get you off the phone as soon as possible.

Tell the customer that you will refund in full when you get the item back.

If he ships it back and it is not damaged* refund.

It's over.

Relist.

Move on.

If the buyer opens a Not As Described case, you will be required to send a Return Shipping Label.

You can do this for a US customer using Shippo.

When the item is returned you refund, relist*, and move on.

If the buyer does nothing, neither do you.

Move on.

If the buyer leaves negative feedback, it has no effect on your selling account**. Move on.

At minimum wage,  $6 is half an hour of your time.

You've already wasted that with Customer Service and by posting here.

Tell the customer to return for refund.

*Some annoyed people will purposely damage a perfectly okay item before returning it because the seller was not helpful.

** But a refusal to settle a Dispute does have a nasty effect. Your fees may rise, the number and value of your listings may be restricted, or if this is repeated behaviour, your selling account may be closed.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

"I could easily just refund but why do I have to when I know I am right."

Being "right" as nothing to do with it.  You should refund because it is the right thing to do.  Selling on eBay means you are in "direct marketing" or "mail order business" where buyers send money to sellers for "stuff" they have not seen yet.  It requires a high level of confidence.

Customer satisfaction does come at a cost.  From time to time a "difficult" customer will require special handling. It is part of the cost of doing business.

"Being right" results in an unhappy customer, less than stellar feedback rating and a short career in this business.

Good Luck

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Yup. While my full-time job has nothing to do with selling, sometimes I have to step back even though I know I'm "right" (and my colleagues agreed with me) because arguing with the other party is no longer worth my time, effort, and stress.

And I definitely wouldn't argue with an eBay buyer over a $6 item. I'll refund and block; I won't even tell them to return it. My time is worth more than that even if it's gonna be spent mindlessly staring at the internet.
Message 6 of 9
latest reply

My mantra has been:

Burn me once shame on you, burn me twice shame on me....

I'd do the same as Zee (except I'd say that I'd trust them to return it and refund now as a gesture of good faith).
Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Thanks for your input 😎
Message 8 of 9
latest reply

And BLOCK.
Message 9 of 9
latest reply