Buyer Purchased with Pick-Up now Wants Item Posted

A New Buyer with Zero Feedback purchased an item with Free Pick-Up two weeks ago but can no longer come and pick up the item. They live two hours away so we're not about to drop it off complimentary.

They requested to send an eTransfer for the postage and have the item sent by mail to the address on file instead. We have zero issues with this and am more than happy to accomodate.

Has anyone gone this route previously? And are there any red flags or venue issues we should be concerned about?

Kind Regards.

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

byto253
Community Member

Unfortunately yes there is a concern.  When you do an in person pick-up there is a QR code you scan to verify to ebay that it is picked up, and that will not happen now.    You can mark it as shipped, but have zero protection if they claim did not receive as there is no ability to upload the tracking number. 

The safest protected way to proceed would be to relist it as an Exclusive item for that buyer with the original price and shipping adding in.  Then they can re-buy it and you can cancel the original one as "problem with address" which will not affect your account. 

I don't know the amount but it comes down to how much risk you are comfortable with for the value of the item.   

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

@tryubik-useonlyasdirected wrote:

A New Buyer with Zero Feedback purchased an item with Free Pick-Up two weeks ago but can no longer come and pick up the item. They live two hours away so we're not about to drop it off complimentary.

They requested to send an eTransfer for the postage and have the item sent by mail to the address on file instead. We have zero issues with this and am more than happy to accomodate.

Has anyone gone this route previously? And are there any red flags or venue issues we should be concerned about?

Kind Regards.

If they haven't paid you should be able to send a revised invoice. If they have paid, best way would be to cancel...Using Problem with address and relist with the correct shipping options. Then protection for both of you. Unfortunately their are VERY limited options for cancelling orders. 

-Lotz

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

EBay does not (yet) allow etransfer. And wire transfer, which is not exactly the same thing, is not allowed in North America.*

The problem for the buyer is that the etransfer cannot be verified, so the buyer always appears Unpaid.

The problem for the seller, and this is from personal experience,** is that if the buyer makes an error on the email address, the seller doesn't get paid.

But payment by Paypal is still allowed.

Unfortunately their are VERY limited options for cancelling orders.

Meh.

Pick the most reasonable one. In this case, Problem with Address would actually be accurate.

*It's normal in Germany, I understand.

** It's complicated, but very basically the payment was sent to a valid but rarely used address and it took a while to remember the password.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

@byto253 Yes! eBay really needs to address in person pick-up and allow for a in-person delivery option with confirmation. Our method of verification is, because both of these are likely to occur in reasonable proximity, we have the buyer sign a release waiver upon pick-up/delivery stating that they have recieved the item as purchased and described and have inspected the item in person, have no issues and are pleased with their purchase. Buyers have been extremely understanding.

It is extremely frustrating that the seller bears a bias when going out of their way for a buyer. If a buyer requests pick-up after paying shipping or requests an item to be held for a couple weeks prior toshipment this should NOT count against the seller. It would be great if there was a way to integrate an in-person verification of this through eBay (they can, after all read all our messages).

@lotzofuniquegoodiesThat is our typical method.

@reallynicestampsActually the etransfer can be verified through procurement of the bank statement. And yes, we could use a system that has more protections for the people actually exachanging the monies. It astonishes me how comfortable people are with e-Transfer sometimes.

Well our decision has been made, the monies recieved and the order in the mail with the usual signature confirmation and do not safe drop.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

@tryubik-useonlyasdirected wrote:

@byto253 Yes! eBay really needs to address in person pick-up and allow for a in-person delivery option with confirmation. Our method of verification is, because both of these are likely to occur in reasonable proximity, we have the buyer sign a release waiver upon pick-up/delivery stating that they have recieved the item as purchased and described and have inspected the item in person, have no issues and are pleased with their purchase. Buyers have been extremely understanding.

It is extremely frustrating that the seller bears a bias when going out of their way for a buyer. If a buyer requests pick-up after paying shipping or requests an item to be held for a couple weeks prior toshipment this should NOT count against the seller. It would be great if there was a way to integrate an in-person verification of this through eBay (they can, after all read all our messages).

@lotzofuniquegoodiesThat is our typical method.

@reallynicestampsActually the etransfer can be verified through procurement of the bank statement. And yes, we could use a system that has more protections for the people actually exachanging the monies. It astonishes me how comfortable people are with e-Transfer sometimes.

Well our decision has been made, the monies recieved and the order in the mail with the usual signature confirmation and do not safe drop.

Similar to how an item is marked as shipped there should be something in place saying that A) it was returned and B) In the condition as noted by the returning buyer and/or it was the item originally sent(How many horror stories have we read regarding sellers receiving empty boxes as returned goods). I know verified tracked shipping is as per eBay's mandate, but that is not always a reaonable ask especially if something went out untracked. Paying the moon to have it returned makes no sense but confirmation may be required before refunding.  The same would/should happen with the return of a pick up. Verifying item was returned and at that point processing the return/credit..... when applicable.

-Lotz

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

@byto253  Doesn't eBay offer a QR code as a verification of payment and pickup?

I don't do local pickup often, but I have seen it mentioned.

@tryubik-useonlyasdirected E-Transfers are now being charged a fee to the recipient by the bank.

But the bank statement is not  instantly and publicly verifiable the way a Paypal payment is or delivery status on a tracked shipment.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Yes, I thought was clear in my post but I guess not.   When a buyer selects local pick-up they get a QR code to bring with them and the seller scans it to confirm delivery. 

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

E-Transfers are now being charged a fee to the recipient by the bank.

They are?! Since when?

Message 9 of 9
latest reply