Buyer alternate shipping address

Hello:

Seller has already paid for a item by paypal but did ask that the item be shipped to his home address vs his work address that is linked to his paypal account. I don't want to refund him his funds and then ask him to add a alternate address and then repay. Am I still ok to ship to the alternate address?. The alternate address is still in the same city.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: Buyer alternate shipping address

If you ship to an address, other than the one provided by ebay or paypal, you will have zero recourse if they claim the item wasn't received .. if you ship without tracking, then it will make no difference..

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

It depends on what the purchase was and its value.

A $10 coin or sportscard? NO. A $10 book or scrapbooking item? No problem.

A $100 anything? NO.

Changing the address, as esclyons says, invalidates the Confirmation of Delivery  (tracking) if you are using that.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

You are only covered if you ship to the address provided during checkout and also use tracking.

If it is an item that is going to be shipped untracked, you're not covered anyways, so as long as the buyer's feedback profile (feedback received + left for others) does not raise any red flags, there aren't really any consequences to doing it. Especially with the prevalence of auto-filling addresses, this is a reasonably common issue with people accidentally auto-filling their old address (or in this case home vs work) and only realizing after checking out.

If it is an expensive tracked item, cancel due to a problem with the address, re-list, and advise the buyer to purchase it with the fixed address. You aren't obligated to do this, like you can still send it to the different address if you don't feel like risking losing the sale, but you will be taking a risk since you won't be covered by seller protection.
Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Thanks all, buyer was understanding and we agreed to ship to his Paypal address. I don't think there was anything nefarious, probably working from home during this Covid pandemic. I always click to do not safe drop and signature required when shipping, so usually means a trip to the post office anyways for the buyer. 

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

If this was the sale for the impact wrench kit, I agree that there was likely nothing nefarious afoot. I’m glad you had an understanding buyer, though.
Message 6 of 6
latest reply