CP 30g Lettermail Rate, What is it 1.07 or 0.92? The "P" Debate That Never Ends. (Part 2)

This thread is a follow-up to the following:

CP 30g Lettermail Rate, What is it 1.07 or 0.92? The "P" Debate That Never Ends.

https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/CP-30g-Lettermail-Rate-What-is-it-1-07-or-0-92-The-quot-...

The thread was closed by a mod because it was too old, as per eBay policy, even though the subject is still relevant.

When you check the official price sheet for business or consumers, it clearly states that if you don't use a P stamps for lettermail up to 30gr, you must use $1.07 worth of stamps (for today's rate, which may change in the future).

https://www.canadapost-postescanada.ca/cpc/doc/en/support/prices/business-prices.pdf (p.14)

https://www.canadapost-postescanada.ca/cpc/doc/en/support/prices/consumer-prices.pdf (p.12)

Message 1 of 41
latest reply
40 REPLIES 40

CP 30g Lettermail Rate, What is it 1.07 or 0.92? The "P" Debate That Never Ends. (Part 2)

It might be a typo, because most of the official language actually indicates "stamp(s)", which mean the total (either as one or many stamps, not from a booklet).

https://www.canadapost-postescanada.ca/cpc/doc/en/support/LM-e.pdf

Message 21 of 41
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

I think some of the confusion about this is because the "lettermail rate" is actually a "stamp price."  We buy the stamps that are used as payment for the letter being mailed.  Note that in the grids linked to in the first post that the postage is referred to as a "payment method."  

One way to mail a standard letter within Canada is to use a "P" stamp.  That "P" stamp will always get that standard letter to its Canadian destination no matter what value it's been assigned.

Currently, another way to mail a standard letter within Canada is to make a one-time postage purchase of $1.07.

Currently, another way to mail a standard letter within Canada is to use a portion of the allowance you paid a metering company to generate postage for you.  It may be worth 92 cents, it may be worth less, depending on the volume of mail you generate and the deal that you got.

Does this mean that we have differing lettermail rates for a standard letter?  No, it means that the postage is the variable here, not the lettermail rate.  92 cents is the current amount assigned to the "P" stamp, but Canada Post appears to be okay with two of those stamps being used on an oversized letter weighing up to 100 grams even though the total is ten cents short.

Message 22 of 41
latest reply

Yeah, Canada Post could be a lot clearer on the subject, but their communications are definitely not user friendly!

Message 23 of 41
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

No question there's a lot of obfuscation when it comes to anything coming out of the management side of Canada Post.

Message 24 of 41
latest reply

Possibly very similar to eBay. Much of the info that is available can be left up to interpretation. On the ebay side it is not helping that you can do help searches and land on pages created at different times by different programmers and then oldest not deleted.

Message 25 of 41
latest reply

@fh991586 wrote:

The debate isn't over because people still thinks (and claim erroneously) that the rate is 92c, while the information in the public guides I put up in the first thread clearly states $1.07!  You benefit from a rebate on this rate ONLY if you buy in bulk (booklet, coil) or have a postage machine.

Even in the latest news from Canada Post regarding the 2023 rates, it's still listed as $1.07 for stamp(s) that didn't come from a booklet or coil...

https://www.canadapost-postescanada.ca/cpc/doc/en/support/LM-e.pdf

Sorry but you are the one in error.  You keep posting links that state purchasing a single p stamp is $1.07.  Yet a booklet of P stamps is .92 each. Why is that? Why would they sell booklets of P stamps for .92 each if the rate is $1.07? The answer seems obvious.  They charge .92 because that is the value of the P stamp.  They charge $1.07 for a single stamp so that the post office gets a few extra stamp out of a single stamp purchase. 

Also, you are totally ignoring my other post that has a quote from a link that YOU posted: 

The PermanentTM stamp is a non-denominated stamp with a postage value of $0.92"

So...if the permanent stamp has a postage vale of .92  how is it possible that a letter costs $1.07 to mail? It isn't possible. The lettermail rate is .92 which means it is .92 for any combination of stamps. 

You are contradicting information given by people who have sold and worked with stamps for years. You need to consider that they know more than you do about this particular topic. 

Message 26 of 41
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

The rate is 92cents.

If you buy a single stamp you will be charged GST plus a service charge which raises the cost to $1.07.

I really don't understand why people who every day buy things in shops where the price marked is lower than the price paid, due to sales taxes addes at the cash register, can't get this through their heads.

If you buy a booklet of stamps, say 10 for $9.20, there will still be GST charged but no service charge, so you will pay $9.66. 

But the rate is still 92c.

The other thing that is in play tax varies depending on province and where item is going to. See attached.

Most Canada Post products and services are subject to the goods and services tax (GST) or provincial sales taxes, including provincial sales tax (PST), Quebec sales tax (QST) or harmonized sales tax (HST).

There are some exceptions, as described below.

International destinations and Canadian Armed Forces post offices

There is no sales tax if the total price per transaction (for single or multiple items) is $5 or more.

The following taxes apply if the cost is less than $5:

• GST and QST if mailed within Quebec (Que.).
  • HST if mailed within Ontario (Ont.), Prince Edward Island (P.E.I.), New Brunswick (N.B.), Nova Scotia (N.S.), and Newfoundland and Labrador (N.L.).
  • GST only when mailed from Manitoba (Man.), Saskatchewan (Sask.), Alberta (Alta.), British Columbia (B.C.), Nunavut, Northwest Territories (N.W.T.), and Yukon (YK).

Lettermail™ and parcels within Canada (consumer) 

• Pay only GST when mailed from B.C., Alta., Sask., Man., Nunavut, N.W.T. and Yukon.
  • Pay only GST if mailed from Ont., P.E.I., N.B., N.S. and N.L. to Que., Man., B.C., Sask., Alta., Nunavut, N.W.T., Yukon and the total price (single or multiple items) is $5 or more and taken at the counter at the time of payment.
  • Pay HST if the total is less than $5 and the item is mailed from Ont., P.E.I., N.B., N.S. or N.L.
  • Pay GST only if mailed from Que., with a total price per transaction of $5 or more, and taken at the counter at the time of the transaction.
  • Pay GST and QST if mailed from Que. and the total transaction price is less than $5.

Priority™, Xpresspost™ and commercial parcels within Canada

• Pay HST if mailed to ON., P.E.I., N.B., N.S. and N.L.
  • Pay GST if mailed to , Man., Sask., Alta., B.C., Nunavut, N.W.T. and Yukon.

Lettermail™, Canada Post Personalized Mail™, Canada Post Neighbourhood Mail™ and Publications Mail™ commercial mailings within Canada

• Pay HST if mailed in Ont., N.B., P.E.I., N.S. or N.L.
  • Pay GST and QST if mailed from Que.
  • Pay only GST if mailed in other provinces and territories.
Message 27 of 41
latest reply

Put two 46c stamps on a 25gr envelope.

It will go through.

Because the RATE is 92cents.

What you pay to get that rate may vary. If you buy one stamp you will pay $1.07.

If you buy a booklet of ten you will pay 96.6c because of the GST.

If you buy older mint stamps from a dealer you may pay as little as 36.8c for each of those two 46c stamps, or 73.6c.

The amount you pay does not change the rate for the service.

Which is 92c.

Message 28 of 41
latest reply

@fh991586 wrote:

When you check the official price sheet for business or consumers, it clearly states that if you don't use a P stamps for lettermail up to 30gr, you must use $1.07 worth of stamps (for today's rate, which may change in the future).

https://www.canadapost-postescanada.ca/cpc/doc/en/support/prices/business-prices.pdf (p.14)

https://www.canadapost-postescanada.ca/cpc/doc/en/support/prices/consumer-prices.pdf (p.12)

Preface: I've worked as a Canada Post retail clerk for nearly a decade, including time spent in management.

There is no debate. As others have stated, the Lettermail rate (i.e. the cost to send a letter in Canada) is currently 92 cents. This is the cost of a Permanent stamp, one of which is needed to mail a domestic letter under 30 g.

I looked at both of the pages you linked to there. It does not anywhere say "...if you don't use a[sic] P stamps for lettermail up to 30gr, you must use  $1.07 worth of stamps..." Could you please point out where it "clearly states" (your words) that?

What it does say is that the "Single stamp" rate is $1.07 and the rate for "Stamps [purchased] in booklets/coils/panes" is $0.92. It breaks the Lettermail rate into two distinct categories. When you go into a post office and ask for a single stamp you are sold a stamp with a value of $1.07 on it which is applied to your letter (see image below) - the 15 cents extra you pay is a surcharge for the time/labour involved in selling a single stamp (and also a way to try and entice you into purchasing a book of stamps). It's called a "single stamp" because they are sold individually (i.e. not in a booklet/coil/pane); this is why you can't buy them on the Canada Post website, because they are meant to be sold one at a time and only at retail.

107stamp.jpg

Every other stamp you buy from Canada Post, or was bought in the past, was sold in either a book, a coil, or a pane. Hence, when not using a single stamp (i.e. a $1.07 stamp) you are effectively using a stamp that was originally from a booklet, coil, or pane, and as is specified in the pages/image you've provided, the rate when using those stamps originally from a booklet/coil/pane, is 92 cents. Including the single Permanent stamp which is worth 92 cents (and is sold by Canada Post in booklets, coils, and panes). If you find two stamps from back when stamps cost 46 cents, then those stamps were originally sold in a booklet, coil, or pane, and therefore applying two of them will add up to the rate for stamps in a booklet, coil, or pane. If you have 92 individual 1 cent stamps then those are perfectly fine to apply to your letter because they are only sold in a pane and therefore adhere to the rate for stamps in a booklet, coil, or pane.

Message 29 of 41
latest reply

@fh991586 wrote:

If you put $0.92 worth of loose stamps on the letter, it might work.  But consider this at your risk.  Same thing for the advice to use 2 P stamps (worth $1.84) instead of $1.94 for the 100gr rate...

There were 2 files showing different informations on the previous thread, but no provenance was clearly stated, nor if public had access to it.

Those files you reference in the other thread were mine, and I clearly indicated where they came from and that they were my own photos I took with my own phone. I will post them below for posterity sake in case anyone in the future comes across this thread and is confused (click to expand size).

CPC Retail Operations Manual, Sec. 1101.06D, p. 3CPC Retail Operations Manual, Sec. 1101.06D, p. 3CPC Retail Operations Manual, Sec. 1610.04D, p. 3CPC Retail Operations Manual, Sec. 1610.04D, p. 3

The first image clearly indicates what is to be considered fully paid for Standard Lettermail items (up to 30 g), and the second image shows that two Permanent 'P' stamps are sufficient for Other Lettermail (up to 100 g). As for 'provenance' these photos were taken directly from the Canada Post Retail Operations manual, an 1,100+ page tome that is supplied to all post offices in Canada and outlines all the policies/procedures that they are to follow. Every Canada Post location (including authorized dealers) are given a hard copy of this manual when they first open, and it is available digitally through the post office computers as well. Up until last year any updates or addendums to the manual were physically mailed to all post offices annually (now they just say to check online for updates in an effort to save trees). And no, of course this manual isn't available to the public, just as the training/operations manuals for most major companies aren't made publicly available. Canada Post makes information from the manual available (via their postal guides and on their website) as they feel is relevant and necessary for the general public.

@fh991586 wrote:

I can say that when I asked questions about this to my local post master, they used the public information to answer me, which I could confirm by myself on the website.  If they had another book to look from, they did not mention it, so its use as an official document is not confirmed.

If I had to take a wild guess I would say maybe 5% of the Canada Post retail workforce has flipped through the Retail Operations manual. Maybe 1% have read it all the way through. Less than 1% of new hires or seasonal employees are probably even aware of it's existence. Turnover at post offices is incredibly high due to the difficulty of the job and the sheer amount of knowledge that they are expected to know. This leads to the perpetuation of incorrect information from people that didn't know the correct answer in the first place.

You can go back to that post office and ask them to check their Retail Operations Manual if you would like confirmation about any of the information I've provided - I've indicated the sections and page numbers under each respective image. If the manager or employee you're talking to has no idea where to find the Retail Operations Manual (or worse, doesn't even know what that is) then I would take anything they have to say with a grain of salt. For the record, this also goes for all the customer service representatives you may talk with on the phone or on chat - I can almost guarantee that the vast majority of them have less knowledge than any employee at a retail location. They are reading off of scripts; many of them have probably never even set foot in Canada let alone know the intracacies of the Canadian postal system.

Message 30 of 41
latest reply

There's is no debate. The debate is in the $1.07 belivers

To ship we need a P stamp or the equivalent of a P stamp. And it's stated that a P stamp is the equivalent of $0.92. Can't be more clear. When you buy a single stamp, you basically pay $1.07 for something worth $0.92, it's this simple

Rate = P stamp

P stamp equivalent  = $0.92

Your screenshot literally highlight it

Message 31 of 41
latest reply

By the way i do use lettermail 30g as a main shipping method. In 1 to 2 year selling i probably shipped between 500 to 1000 packages at $0.92. I got only 4 or 5 returns for insufficient postage. 3 of them had the same exact writting and got returned by the same unique worker

Everytime i did go to the post office after with those package, they removed the sticker, erased the mark, approved and shipped. Being confused about my packages getting returned. Because the rate is $0.92

Message 32 of 41
latest reply

The sell P stamps in booklets at a price of 92 each as an incentive not to buy single stamps.  Just like it costs less when you buy any product in bulk.  I don't how how this basic economy trick still has not registered here...

Moreover, I'm afraid I fail to understand the "rate" argument because English isn't my first language.  So I search the French site, and then post the corresponding English version.  And it's always "price", not "rate" that you see when a value is stated regarding stamps, on the Canada Post website.

See this here: https://www.canadapost-postescanada.ca/cpc/en/support/articles/lettermail/pricing.page

Message 33 of 41
latest reply

I didn't see the written source of the 2 pages on the previous thread, so my mistake if it was there!  Thank you for pointing them out here, and identifying the manual.

The thing is, you actually had the answer to the whole debate right under your eyes, but highlited right before and after!  It clearly states there that there are 2 rates for the lettermail up to 30gr, depending which option you use (permanent stamp OR single stamp(s), as you can read on the part I highlited.

The fact that this manual states that letter will be forwarded anyway if the sender uses singles stamps for a 92c total, or put 2 P stamps instead of $1.94 does not prove that this is the rate, merely that it is considered acceptable by Canada Post.  I repeat: not the actual published and advertised rates!  The fact it's only in a "in house" corporate manual says a lot...

Message 34 of 41
latest reply

I can also point out the Canada Gazette (which is the official publication for Canada Post guidelines publication), for confirming the dual rates.  Here is the last revision that was published in 2020:

https://gazette.gc.ca/rp-pr/p2/2020/2020-01-08/html/sor-dors5-eng.html

The problem we face is that it's a price/rate listed for the stamp in itself, not a rate for the service rendered equivalent to stamp use.  Hence our different point of view on the subject, which is mostly on the wording.

Message 35 of 41
latest reply

lol I like how you marked your own post as the "Solution" to the thread.

It seems like it's impossible to convince you of the truth, despite literally everyone telling you otherwise, including people who (a) have been selling on eBay for decades, (b) specialize in stamps, and (c) work for Canada Post. You're more than welcome to continue thinking that the rate to mail a single letter is $1.07 just note that you're effectively wasting 15 cents of profit every time you mail out letters without using Permanent stamps (not really a wise choice considering this is an eBay seller's discussion forum and the ultimate goal around here is to get the most profit).

I've probably shipped out thousands of items over the years with discount postage adding up to 92 cents (or whatever the Lettermail rate was previous to the latest rate hike) and have never had one returned to me for insufficient postage. I've provided knowledge and advice to customers at the post office for the better part of a decade on how to save money on shipping and have never once heard from one of these customers that their item has been returned for insufficient postage. Heck, there are people that have built entire businesses around selling old, discount postage in bundles that add up 92 cents - do you think these business would be able to continue operating if the foundation on which they existed was fundamentally incorrect?

@fh991586 wrote:

The thing is, you actually had the answer to the whole debate right under your eyes, but highlited right before and after!  It clearly states there that there are 2 rates for the lettermail up to 30gr, depending which option you use (permanent stamp OR single stamp(s), as you can read on the part I highlited.

The sections you've highlighted in green/pink in your image (I'll post it under this paragraph so people know what you're talking about) are under the heading "Examples" - meaning it's not a definitive list, just two examples of what would be considered fully-paid postage for a Domestic Standard Lettermail item (up to 30 g). Additonal examples are provided in the table below, including the note that I originally highlighted in yellow.

Original highlighting in yellow by me; pink/green highlighting done by user fh991586Original highlighting in yellow by me; pink/green highlighting done by user fh991586

Message 36 of 41
latest reply

@fh991586 wrote:

I can also point out the Canada Gazette (which is the official publication for Canada Post guidelines publication), for confirming the dual rates.  Here is the last revision that was published in 2020:

https://gazette.gc.ca/rp-pr/p2/2020/2020-01-08/html/sor-dors5-eng.html

The problem we face is that it's a price/rate listed for the stamp in itself, not a rate for the service rendered equivalent to stamp use.  Hence our different point of view on the subject, which is mostly on the wording.

No one is arguing that there aren't dual rates for Domestic Standard Lettermail items (up to 30 g). It has been this way for the better part of a decade (I think the "Single stamp" rate was introduced around 2014? Someone may correct me if I'm wrong).

The dual rates are pretty clear: (1) Single stamp rate ($1.07); and (2) rate for stamps purchased in a booklet/coil/pane ($0.92). This is specified in all the documents you linked to, provided images for, and are all publicly available.

If you take your letter to the post office counter sans postage, then you will have the choice to pay the "Single stamp" rate ($1.07) if you only want the one stamp; or the "rate for stamps purchased in a booklet/coil/pane" ($0.92) if you buy a booklet of Permanent stamps.

If you have a letter sans postage at home, and a bunch of old stamps to use, then you just need to ask yourself "were these stamps originally sold in a booklet, coil, or pane?" If so, then they just need to add up to 92 cents (spoiler: the answer in almost every scenario is "yes").

It's really very simple and there is no need for a debate.

Message 37 of 41
latest reply

lol I like how you marked your own post as the "Solution" to the thread

I had the same reaction...

The thread is hosted by someone with the typical pro-$1.07 stubbornness and confusion. Worst situation. It was clearly not created to help but only to try to spread the pro-$1.07 theory

Message 38 of 41
latest reply

mcrlmn
Community Member

consumer.jpg

Don't know what is so complicated about this.

Message 39 of 41
latest reply

Me neither, but some people are willing to argue a lot to pay 15 cents less, and possibly get their mail returned or delayed.

I'm done here, since I became the target for personal attack in comments.

Message 40 of 41
latest reply